TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
tough joe

Switching from analog to digital cable with standalone tivos

I am thinking about switching from analog cable to digital cable but I own 3 tvs and 3 stand alone tivos. (one tivo for each tv) See below:

1) S2 ST
2) S2 DT
3) S3 DT HD

All are set up now with TTG and MRV and work flawlessly. I do not have an analog cable box for either TV. IF I get digital cable, im guessing that I will need to get 3 digital converter boxes.

How would that work with my 3 tivos?
And, most importantly of all, will I still be able to record 2 channels at the same time for Tivo's #2 and 3?
Will MRV and TTG still work?

Thanks

Joe
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
WayneCarter

Quote:
IF I get digital cable, im guessing that I will need to get 3 digital converter boxes.
You'll need two digital cable boxes, one each for the 2 S2s. The S3 can receive digital cable directly using cablecards. The S2DT "becomes" a "ST" unit (one channel thru the cablebox).
WayneCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

For the S2 ST you'd need a digital cable box from your cable company
For the S2 Dt you'd need another digital box, but you'd need to also keep the cable connected as is so that you can record from the analog channels on the second tuner while the other tuner uses the cable box.
For the S3, you need a pair of single stream cable cards from the cable company. If it's actually the TiVo HD model, you can use a single multi-stream cable card.

MRV and TTG have nothing to do with the source.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Stephen Tu

Note that when you switch to digital cable, you don't lose your analog channels, just gain additional ones on the digital tier. (With the exception of a few areas of the country switching to all-digital cable). So the S2 DT doesn't become single tuner when you add a box, it's just that if recording two shows at once, at least one of them has to be on an analog channel, one of those you already receive now.

You only have to get digital boxes for the TVs on which you actually want to be able to record the additional channels on. Personally I wouldn't want to pay 2 additional outlet fees, I'd just record digital shows on the S3, and use MRV to view them on the other Tivos. But YMMV if you have lots of users in the family & all want to view different programs on the digital tier channels.
Stephen Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
I am thinking about switching from analog cable to digital cable but I own 3 tvs and 3 stand alone tivos. (one tivo for each tv) See below:

1) S2 ST
2) S2 DT
3) S3 DT HD

All are set up now with TTG and MRV and work flawlessly. I do not have an analog cable box for either TV. IF I get digital cable, im guessing that I will need to get 3 digital converter boxes.

How would that work with my 3 tivos?
And, most importantly of all, will I still be able to record 2 channels at the same time for Tivo's #2 and 3?
Your S3 is already capable of recording digital signals - it can do it today with OTA transmissions or with CableCARDs. The S2 boxes will *never* record digital signals - they can take an analog signal from a digital set top box, but they'll still be recording analog.

If you can afford it, replace your S2s with a TiVo HD - you'll have dual tuners each with digital recording capability.

An S3 or TiVoHD is the only way to record digital cable.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
tough joe

Let me make sure I understand. With the digital switch happening next year, does this mean that I DONT have to change to digital?

The reason for my OP ?s is because the cable sales guy called me and asked if I wanted to switch to digital before it happens next year? I told him not right now, but that got me thinking about my hardward that I have (mentioned in the op). But if I understand the replies correctly, even if i subscribe to digital cable, i can still get analog? Then why even bother to make the swtich ever?

It seems to me that if my analog signal is not going to change even when the nation changes over next year, then there really is no point for me to upgrade? Can someone clarify because i think im missing something.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Stephen Tu

The digital mandate next February only applies to over-the-air stations, not cable. Cable plants in various areas will switch on their own time table according to their own particular business needs & desires. On one hand they would like to drop analog to reclaim bandwidth for more channels, especially more HD channels, and for usage for phone/internet. But on the other hand if they still have lots of analog customers they don't necessarily want to force all of them to get boxes. Some areas have already switched to all-digital, others won't for years. Some likely will switch at the same time frame as the OTA transition, hoping for less consumer resistance due to consumer confusion.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq16

Last edited by Stephen Tu : 04-05-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post
The digital mandate next February only applies to over-the-air stations, not cable.

Some likely will switch at the same time frame as the OTA transition, hoping for less consumer resistance due to consumer confusion.
There are FCC requirements as to when they can drop their analog locals and if I remember right, that's still a few years out. Nothing stops a cable company from converting all of their non-locals to digital today.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Stephen Tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post
There are FCC requirements as to when they can drop their analog locals and if I remember right, that's still a few years out. Nothing stops a cable company from converting all of their non-locals to digital today.
Actually, they are completely free to drop analog locals as long as they drop analog everything else also. Nothing stops a cable company from converting all of their channels to digital today other than fear of pissing off too many customers. The government only stops them from carrying some of their channels in analog, without also providing local over-the-air broadcasters to analog tier customers.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
tough joe

So basically its not a "must" for me to switch to digital thus being pigeon held into a set top box. I was reading some other posts and noticed that Fios is enterning the mix of tv delivery service and from what I heard, it will work flawlessly with stand alone tivos. Now i get to wait - will my cable co. stop analog completely before fios enters my area?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
Stephen Tu

Switching to Fios isn't what you want to do if you want to hold on to analog as long as possible! They definitely are going all-digital this year, much sooner than most cable companies in most areas, starting as soon as this month depending on locale.

Switch if they offer you more attractive services vs. price, but then plan on using STBs if you move to Fios.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
RonDawg

Quote:
The reason for my OP ?s is because the cable sales guy called me and asked if I wanted to switch to digital before it happens next year?
Nice to see a cable provider trying to cash in on the confusion over the digital cutover
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
So basically its not a "must" for me to switch to digital thus being pigeon held into a set top box. I was reading some other posts and noticed that Fios is enterning the mix of tv delivery service and from what I heard, it will work flawlessly with stand alone tivos. Now i get to wait - will my cable co. stop analog completely before fios enters my area?
You didn't say who your current provider is but the bottom line is if you want to record digital channels on all of your boxes once they go all digital:

1) Your S2s will require some type of STB from the cable provider.
2) Your S2DT will effectively become a single-tuner box.
3) Your S3 will need (a) cablecard(s).

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
You didn't say who your current provider is but the bottom line is if you want to record digital channels on all of your boxes once they go all digital:

1) Your S2s will require some type of STB from the cable provider.
2) Your S2DT will effectively become a single-tuner box.
3) Your S3 will need (a) cablecard(s).
Thats what im afraid of. I dont want to get a set top box and if i do, i will want it to work with my tivo's like they do now without a box. I dont want my dual tunner to become a single tuner. I like the way it is now.

also regarding fios, i thought they used a switch connector that connected to my in-home cattv splitter that would then branch off into my 3 rooms. this would essentially elimate the need for a set top box. ??

Look at this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=389746

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I switched to FiOS in Jan. It's a no-brainer
1) Picture quality is superior
2) FiOS will be adding more HD channels this year. Right now FiOS really has all the stations that are showing significant true HD content
3)You don't have to re-wire your house. Just have Verizon run one coax wire to wherever your multi-switch is located. They'll disconnet your multiswitch and use a splitter. You'll be using the same coax you used for DTV.
4)FiOS has no plans of using SDV. They may switch to IPTV. It's not known if tivo and FiOS will work together on this issue.
5) Sunday Ticket--If you watch a lot of out of area football, and don't have a friend with the Ticket this could be a (really the only) deal breaker.
6) People on TCF like to talk about issues with cable cards. The Motorola cards FiOS is using tend to work reasonably well with tivo.
7) Service could be better but it's generally not as bad as you'd think. People with problems post, people without problems don't generally post.

Try for a morning install and assume it might take a few hours, most of the day if you're switching to FiOS for internet and voice at the same time.
What I was referring to is #3. I was thinking that if #3 is true, and fios can run a signal right into my coax wiring in my house, i would then have no need (or want) for a set top box). Or am I completely wrong here?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Stephen Tu

The post you are quoting from is from the series 3 forum, where the S3/TivoHD acts as the set-top box. You will need STB for all non-S3/HD Tivos with Fios as they are going all-digital.

The wiring indeed can be split that way, but you still need a device for each TV to convert digital to analog, that post didn't say anything about the signals being analog!

Last edited by Stephen Tu : 04-06-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Thats what im afraid of. I dont want to get a set top box and if i do, i will want it to work with my tivo's like they do now without a box. I dont want my dual tunner to become a single tuner. I like the way it is now.
I want to hit the Megabucks lottery. I want world peace. I want anchovies on my pizza. Other than the pizza, everything else is out of my control. That is the way it is (or will be once you go all digital)

Quote:
also regarding fios, i thought they used a switch connector that connected to my in-home cattv splitter that would then branch off into my 3 rooms. this would essentially elimate the need for a set top box. ??

Look at this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=389746

What I was referring to is #3. I was thinking that if #3 is true, and fios can run a signal right into my coax wiring in my house, i would then have no need (or want) for a set top box). Or am I completely wrong here?
The item you are quoting is a reply to someone replacing a satellite multiswitch with a CATV splitter. It is not relevant to this discussion.

Your S2s will need a STB. Your S2DT will become a single tuner box. Period. I have Fios. I will be in the same boat with my 2 S2DT boxes. I am not happy either. I am dealing with it. You might consider doing the same.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I want to hit the Megabucks lottery. I want world peace. I want anchovies on my pizza. Other than the pizza, everything else is out of my control. That is the way it is (or will be once you go all digital)

The item you are quoting is a reply to someone replacing a satellite multiswitch with a CATV splitter. It is not relevant to this discussion.

Your S2s will need a STB. Your S2DT will become a single tuner box. Period. I have Fios. I will be in the same boat with my 2 S2DT boxes. I am not happy either. I am dealing with it. You might consider doing the same.

Rocko - you made me laugh! I know this isnt the end all to my life - per say and on the grand scale of things, in 100 years none of this will matter anyone. So basically my best choice to avoid this whole analog to digital problem "we" will be facing is to get rid of the S2DT and upgrade to a S3 HD - this way I avoid all set top box nonsense? I wonder if they offer "transfer lifetime to a new S3 HD ?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #18
classicsat
Astute User

Yes, to maintain dual tuners (when your provider turns off analog), or avoid STBs altogether, you will need to get one or more of the HD models to each replace your Series 2s.

Currently, there is no transfer offer, just the $399 Product Lifetime.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
Stephen Tu

In the long run, you probably want to upgrade to series 3, or series 4 or whatever. But in the meantime, why do anything? You are not in the same boat as rocko since you don't have FIOS. Just don't switch to FIOS, wait until your cable company sends you a letter saying that they are going all-digital. You might well go 4 years before having to do anything. Or not. Don't change until you have to, or until you upgrade your secondary TVs to HDTVs & want HD recording ability. The longer you wait, generally things get better + cheaper. The switch to digital doesn't affect you yet, your company hasn't notified you of any changes! Don't panic & change everything when you don't want to & while there is no need to do so.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post
In the long run, you probably want to upgrade to series 3, or series 4 or whatever. But in the meantime, why do anything? You are not in the same boat as rocko since you don't have FIOS. Just don't switch to FIOS, wait until your cable company sends you a letter saying that they are going all-digital. You might well go 4 years before having to do anything. Or not. Don't change until you have to, or until you upgrade your secondary TVs to HDTVs & want HD recording ability. The longer you wait, generally things get better + cheaper. The switch to digital doesn't affect you yet, your company hasn't notified you of any changes! Don't panic & change everything when you don't want to & while there is no need to do so.
Thanks - that helps a lot.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

I that case forget about my suggestion to consider Fios vs. DirecTV in that other thread

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
tough joe

I know - resurrecting a very old thread is "frowned upon in this establishment!" (thanks e-trade baby), but i had to say that the poster above Stephen Tu as been right on the money. So far, 4 years later, our cable company is still analog and digital with no plans to switch to all digital.