TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

True Blood "Sunset" 8/19/2012 (S5E11)

Must be coming to the end of a season, as the stories start to come together...

First, a general complaint: I'm getting tired of the TB season formula. Starts strong for an ep or two, then meanders into "who gives a %@$#" territory for what seems like dozens of random story lines, then comes into focus towards the end, and then the last couple of eps finish strong. Does anyone care (or remember) Ifrit or the trip to Mexico? And has a character as strong as Lafayette ever been so misused?

Another complaint: Part of what has made this season difficult to buy into is the complete 180 of so many long-term characters. After five seasons, we know what Bill or Eric or Jason are like. Character growth is one thing, but this total change in personality makes me feel "disconnected". Like my investment in five seasons is pointless.

Having said that, Pam has certainly been a bright spot this season.

Ok, back on track here...

A decent episode. Be interesting to see how Russell and the Fairies turn out. Seems like a waste to introduce the world's oldest fairy, and then have her turn to dust 30 minutes later. Ke$ha? Really?

I'm really really tired of the Authority. Talk about a plot-line that went nowhere. Bo-ring.

I'll finish out the season next week. And watch when it returns next June. But if the first 2-3 eps don't grab me, it's goodbye TB. Sadly.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Gerryex

I know there have been some comments about this season not being all that good, but I have been watching from the beginning and I think with only one exception, this season has been quite good. The one exception was the plot about the Ifrit smoke spirit. Usually they manage to tie all of the plot lines together by the end of the season, but this plot line seems to be independent of all the other plots and does not seem to be tied into any of the other plot lines. Also it was a very poor plot line!

But other than the above I liked this season especially the "Authority!" Many comments about not caring about the Authority but I thought it was very interesting. Ever since the beginning we had heard about the Authority but except for the Magister in the first season (I believe) and the various Kings, Queens and Sheriffs we had never seen the inner workings of the Authority. Now we got to see it and all the stuff they have to maintain discipline over other vampires. And we also got to see the change over from promoting mainstreaming to now wanting to rule the Earth with humans as their food. I thought that whole plot line was great!

And of course we had the return of Russel Edginton. His character is great!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Another complaint: Part of what has made this season difficult to buy into is the complete 180 of so many long-term characters. After five seasons, we know what Bill or Eric or Jason are like. Character growth is one thing, but this total change in personality makes me feel "disconnected".
Jason made a 180? I didn't see that. I guess you are referring to Jason becoming less of a womanizer? That was a change, but it seemed like normal character development to me. In past seasons he was rather juvenile, and this season he grew up a bit, partly as a result of the conflict with Hoyt, and partly from meeting his old teacher. But despite his growth, he is still the good-at-heart but rather slow on the uptake Jason that we knew before.

Bill certainly did a 180. Pam said this episode that it was nesting behavior making vampires crazy. Eric resisted the religious fervor most of the time, so I would not say he did a 180.

That leaves only Bill. I agree that it has been rather uncomfortable to watch him as the religious zealot that he has become. Especially his interactions with Jessica. But I don't think it was a bad storyline. I'm actually looking forward to how they resolve it. This episode was the first one this season that I really enjoyed. An all out human vs. vampire conflict should be a good story. I just hope the writers don't back away from it and resolve it at the eleventh hour (and bring Bill back to "normal"). Although I guess there is a good chance that is exactly what they will do in the finale.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm leaning towards wanting the show writers to have followed the books rather than going off on their own head trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Be interesting to see how Russell and the Fairies turn out. Seems like a waste to introduce the world's oldest fairy, and then have her turn to dust 30 minutes later. Ke$ha? Really?
I'm rooting for Russel to gorge himself on all the fairies. I know somehow Sookie will escape, but if he were to eat all that faerie blood I wonder if it might do something permanent to him.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm with Gerry. I've enjoyed this season a lot.

And I don't see Eric or Jason making any kind of radical change. Bill has, but he's on drugs.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Who was the actress playing the oldest fairy woman? My wife says she looked very familiar, but I didn't find her listed at IMDB.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

it looked and sounded like Rae Dawn Chong
Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy
Who was the actress playing the oldest fairy woman? My wife says she looked very familiar, but I didn't find her listed at IMDB.
Erica Gimpel. If you are over 40, you'll remember her in the TV show "Fame".
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Erica Gimpel. If you are over 40, you'll remember her in the TV show "Fame".
Oh yeah!
So not Rae Dawn then
Old 08-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Coco!!

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
tiams

The Elder has supposedly been around for hundreds of years and many dimensions and the only music she comes up with are Ke$ha, Mellancamp, and Boyz II Men?

I think Warlow is going to appear and save the fairies (or at least Sookie) from Russell.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
mrdazzo7

I've been ok with this season also. I've said in the past, the way the season play out is a big part of why I watch the show in the first place... they always find interesting ways to bring everything together. For all it's corniness, a lot of the show really is written well, story-wise. Think of all the steps in play leading to Sam, Luna, Pam, and Jessica now being in the bunker, which I'm sure will be crucial next week.

Bill didn't do a 180--he's completely brainwashed. They all are. That's part of what makes the conflict interesting--it's always cool when the villain/threat is one of the good guys. Just about all the conflict is coming from established characters instead of a new "big bad" so it's a good change of pace.

The Ifrit storyline, I don't think anyone would argue that it was a huge waste of time. It did serve a purpose in terms of Terry's arc as a character, but as a story, there was no point to it (yet)--Patrick showed up and said another army buddy was killing their old crew, they found him and it turned out it was a fire monster who then told them to kill each other, then Terry killed Patrick and the monster went away, all with absolutely no intersection into other storylines of any kind. The result of that entire plot was that now Terry is unburdoned of what happened in Iraq. Unless something connects to it in the finale, it really was a waste of time.

The other "fail", to me, is the "Warlow" thing. Not necessarily the concept, but the execution. For starters, why is he coming for her now? Because it's convenient for the story" is the only answer... She was supposedly promised to him 200+ years ago, he was drawn to her blood 25 years ago (or whatevs), and now all of a sudden there's this big ticking clock because he's "coming for her" but it just feels like manufactured drama as opposed to organic. But anyway...

Curious to see how it plays out. I figured vampires would wipe the floor with humans in a war but the recently deceased general has me thinking otherwise--humans vastly outnumber vamps and with the right weapons/attitude, I think they'd maintain their position as top species, even though they'd likely take huge losses.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Curious to see how it plays out. I figured vampires would wipe the floor with humans in a war but the recently deceased general has me thinking otherwise--humans vastly outnumber vamps and with the right weapons/attitude, I think they'd maintain their position as top species, even though they'd likely take huge losses.
If humans really wanted to kill vampires and really devoted the resources to do it, then it could be done easily and with minimal casualties. Besides the number advantage that you mentioned, the vampires have the extreme disadvantage of being sensitive to UV light and sunlight. So, surveil them for a few days to find out where they hide during the day, then go kill most of them in their nests at high noon (burn them down or blow them up).

For the ones that you miss in the nest, it is easy to equip a vampire-proof commando. First, armor them up. Thin mylar coated with silver would be light and effective armor (like those survival blankets, except with silver coating), and for good measure, add a "Tron suit" outer layer of UV lights. Go on search and destroy missions at noon every day until you've got them all.

I suppose the vampires could also put on suits to protect them from light, but if that became a problem, the humans could always summon that witch back and have her cast her spell to get the vampires to all walk out into sunlight.

Last edited by john4200 : 08-20-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
tiams

The only advantage vampires have is they can increase their numbers while they decrease the number of humans. If every vampire turned 10 humans every night, and all those new vamps also turned 10 a night......I can't do the math. But it adds up to exponentially increasing vamps and quickly decreasing humans.

Wait, can a vampire turn more than one human at a time? Can they bury themselves overnight with only a single human?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
vertigo235

as long as you stay in your house and don't answer the door at night, you should be fine..

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The only advantage vampires have is they can increase their numbers while they decrease the number of humans. If every vampire turned 10 humans every night, and all those new vamps also turned 10 a night......I can't do the math. But it adds up to exponentially increasing vamps and quickly decreasing humans.

Wait, can a vampire turn more than one human at a time? Can they bury themselves overnight with only a single human?
Yeah I don't think so, I think it's just one at a time.

Besides, vampires already have an advantage when people do stupid things like leave the safety of your cloaked hideout to take on russell edgington yourself instead of having the 20 people there specififically to kill him do it, and then allowing him to drink all your blood turning him into an unstoppable superpower. Or when during said blood letting, you can just stand there and watch instead of taking advantage of his dazed feeding frenzy to stake him.

Nah, why would any of that make sense? LOL. That whole thing was my other least favorite part of the episode. It was just so stupid, and bad writing IMO. The elder chick comes up with this whole plan to lead him to the field so the fairies could ambush him, and then tells them all to stay put while she goes and fights him alone? And only lasts like three seconds?

Then again the fact Russell is even still alive is bad writing... it never made sense that Bill and Eric kept him alive, at all. I get the reasons for the story the writer's wanted to tell, but in terms of execution it was just dumb.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Was she a CIA agent recently on Burn Notice?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I for one destest this season - it's so lame it comes off as a low budget B Movie with second tier writing. The Elder dancing around on the 'stage' was silly. The dialog and scenes with Russell and his new vampire boyfriend is dumb, running around in the field inhaling Farie odor was not even funny but forced humor. I am tired of all the scences with Bill/Eric - somebody do something already. Waste of a season, IMHO.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
The other "fail", to me, is the "Warlow" thing. Not necessarily the concept, but the execution. For starters, why is he coming for her now? Because it's convenient for the story" is the only answer... She was supposedly promised to him 200+ years ago, he was drawn to her blood 25 years ago (or whatevs), and now all of a sudden there's this big ticking clock because he's "coming for her" but it just feels like manufactured drama as opposed to organic.
I don't think that's why. My memory has seen better days, but IIRC, he didn't know she was around to take. Until she looked back in time using faerie magic, saw him kill her parents, and the two of them sort of "connected" at that point. That's when he started coming after her.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
stellie93

My memory fails me....again. Have we seen this guy? Do we know anything about him besides that the really old fairy knew him/was connected to them somehow?

Is there any chance that she let Russell eat her on purpose--maybe it will kill him and she either can come back somehow or gave herself up for the others?

And there has never been a girl who had the fairy in her in all these generations until Sookie? I thought it was Gran who slept with a fairy, or was that just in the book?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
I don't think that's why. My memory has seen better days, but IIRC, he didn't know she was around to take. Until she looked back in time using faerie magic, saw him kill her parents, and the two of them sort of "connected" at that point. That's when he started coming after her.
Yep, you're right.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
...Is there any chance that she let Russell eat her on purpose--maybe it will kill him and she either can come back somehow or gave herself up for the others?
I would assume so based on how she was acting.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
And there has never been a girl who had the fairy in her in all these generations until Sookie?
The contract was specific:

Quote:
I, John William Stackhouse, grant Mr. M. Warlow my first Fae-bearing female heir.
Apparently Sookie is the first female descendant of J. W. Stackhouse with Fae powers.

EDIT: On second thought, it says "heir". And Sookie is named "Stackhouse". So maybe it had to be a female descendant of the male line, i.e., a Stackhouse. So if J. W. had a daughter, and she married and had a daughter with Fae powers, I guess that would not count since she would not be a Stackhouse.

Last edited by john4200 : 08-22-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #25
cherry ghost

I have a feeling Warlow will end up saving Sookie from Russell, or at least eliminate Russell
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
Sadara
huh?

I hope this Warlow character does show up. I'm growing bored with this season. My husband is still enjoying it. But, not me.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
aindik

This was a much better episode. I'm still both bored and confused by the Lilith/Authority story line (though I did like a bit of realism injected into the story by way of the U.S. military), but I liked the bit with Jessica trying to save Jason (though the bit about turning him vampire kind of came out of nowhere), I liked the bit with Pam and Tara ("who the f*** is Luna?"), and the Russell/fairy story line looks like it's finally going somewhere. I feel bad for Sheriff Andy. And I'm not buying Eric's sister's re-conversion. I think she double crosses him and then he kills her.

So, is Lilith a real but evil thing, or are they all just having the same hallucination at the same time? I guess the remnant blood after she disappears is supposed to tell us she's real.

Russell can't eat all the fairies because if he does, then he'll be able to day walk for a while but then never again. I assume he knows this. He also said his goal is to essentially make fairy True Blood.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Russell can't eat all the fairies because if he does, then he'll be able to day walk for a while but then never again. I assume he knows this. He also said his goal is to essentially make fairy True Blood.
I think he would eat all the faerie blood, we've seen Eric get high from drinking Fae blood and Russel just ate an elder (I'm guessing 100% fae) so he's not thinking correctly anymore.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

Funny, I'm buying Eric's sister's reconversion, but not Bill's. Doesn't feel right to me, and IMO they haven't done enough to sell the "he's experiencing crazy nesting behavior" to make that believable.

Just an overall comment on the show - for me, it's still something I enjoy watching every week and I look forward to. It's not as good as the first season anymore, but it's not anywhere near other series when they got to the point where I hated everyone and wished it was over so I could drop the habit of watching it. The only one who really annoyed me on this show was Tara, and she's been much less annoying as a vampire. Or at least there's been Pam to shut her up right away when she gets annoying.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
aindik

Interesting that, after all this time, in the second to last episode, they felt the need to have that awkward expository conversation where Pam tells Tara (and the rest of us) what the Authority is. That should have been in episode 2 of this season.

"It's like a church that runs a government." Which is a weird thing for her to say because as far as she knows, it's still run by Roman and he was essentially anti-religious.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote