TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Peter Redmer
Administrator

Come join the TiVo Stream forums!

Have a question about the new TiVo Stream or just want to chat about it? This is the place!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
meb577

Ok, I read on the WEB that it will not transfer "copy once" flagged programs. I assume that means it won't store those programs on my iPad for viewing off line but streaming of those flagged programs within my home is still is available. Is this true?

Also, I want to use the iPad as a remote screen out at the BBQ to watch what others are watching on the TV and then join them after the cooking is finished. Big deal for football. So can I watch simultaneously in real time and pause/start on the iPad? Or do I have to watch it as a separate streamed version and when they pause mine keeps playing and vise versa? Or can I not even stream what's playing on the TV at the same time?

BTW Dear TiVo, is the type of enhancement I have been waiting for, I just hope I can do what I want to with it. Keep the innovations coming.
meb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes it can stream anything, including copy protected content.

What you're watching on the iPad is it's own stream. It will automatically start from the pause point of the program if you already started watching it on the TV, and there is a way to send it back to the TV from where you're at on the iPad, but while you're watching they're separate so you could get out of sync.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Hilltopper06

Stream to other TV's

I have a Logitech Revue and an Apple TV device and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use Airstream (from my IPad through Tivo Stream) to another TV that does not have a Tivo but a connected device like my Apple TV or Revue?
Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime Subscription
Hilltopper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't have either of those things so I can't say for sure. However TiVo is working on another product, called the Mini, which is designed to stream programs from your other TiVos directly to another TV. That might be a better option then the Stream/AirPlay setup.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Hilltopper06

Perfect, thank you. I'll just have to be more patient.
I already have the Tivo software to download programs to my IPad so I think the Tivo Mini would be the best option for me.
Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime Subscription
Hilltopper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well one advantage to the Stream for downloading, compared to the PC based solution, is that it's a direct connection. There is no PC involved and no need to load or sync with iTunes. You just select the show and hit download and it transfers to the iPad. (you can also stream shows through your home network without actually copying them to the iPad)

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
goldstt

My Tivo is NOT hardwired to my router, rather it connects via wi-fi (as it's nowhere near the router).
I want to explore the MOCA option, but I've found that Tivo doesn't explain it very well.
Can anybody use the MOCA option?
I plug one MOCA adapter into my router...and another into my TIVO.
And i'm golden?
goldstt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

You don't need the TiVo to be hardwired. The Stream is a network device so it can be placed anywhere on your network and still function. You could plug it directly into your router and it should work fine. It will tax your wifi network a bit, so you probably wouldn't be able to do the max 4 streams it's capable of, but if you just want to use it for one at a time it should work just fine.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
goldstt

Really? So if i'll rarely use more than 1 stream, I don't need to go the MOCA route? I can just use wifi from the Tivo to the Stream (which will be plugged into the router)?
goldstt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I can't guarantee it will work, since it's highly dependent on the quality of your wifi signal, but it should work. It's all just networking. Basically the Stream pretends to be another TiVo on your network and initiates a network stream of the program like you'd get streaming TiVo to TiVo. It then recodes the video to a format compatible with the iPad and send that out to the iPad. As long as your wifi network can handle both the stream from the TiVo to the Stream and the stream going from the Stream to the iPad then it should work fine.

I'm currently using a powerline network between my Stream and my TiVo and it's working fine. Transferring a program is a lot slower then they say, but it works fine for streaming.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Mysterylabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes it can stream anything, including copy protected content.

Dan
I have Comcast and I use to transfer shows to my portable device until I upgraded to a a cablecard and the Tivo Premier. Then shows were copy protected and I could no longer transfer them to my portable. So the idea of the being able to transfer shows again appeals to me.

But, I wrote to Tivo's Customer Support, whose reply was "Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to answer your question. Most copy protected shows can still be streamed between units, just not transferred. This depends entirely on the type of copy protection. TiVo is bound by law to adhere to the copy protection." Since I did not think she understood my question, I called support and talked someone in Technical Support. He told me it would be useless to buy a Tivo Stream because the shows would still be copy protected and unable to transfer.

So I guess my question is, my cable company is Comcast, how do I find out if the Tivo Stream would work or be worthless?

Debbi
Mysterylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can "stream" anything, but you can only "copy" unprotected content. Basically if you can't transfer it to a PC via TivoToGo then you wont be able to copy it to the iPad either. However you'll be able to watch it on the iPad as long as you are connected to the same local network as the TiVo.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterylabs View Post
I have Comcast and I use to transfer shows to my portable device until I upgraded to a a cablecard and the Tivo Premier. Then shows were copy protected and I could no longer transfer them to my portable. So the idea of the being able to transfer shows again appeals to me.

But, I wrote to Tivo's Customer Support, whose reply was "Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to answer your question. Most copy protected shows can still be streamed between units, just not transferred. This depends entirely on the type of copy protection. TiVo is bound by law to adhere to the copy protection." Since I did not think she understood my question, I called support and talked someone in Technical Support. He told me it would be useless to buy a Tivo Stream because the shows would still be copy protected and unable to transfer.

So I guess my question is, my cable company is Comcast, how do I find out if the Tivo Stream would work or be worthless?

Debbi
Debbi,

Based on this list --> http://www.missingremote.com/forums/...us-master-list

It appears most Comcast areas are very Stream friendly. I think you are saying that using TiVo Desktop on a PC you see most of the shows as red circle / copy protected. For those shows, the Stream will only be able to Stream. It won't be able to download (sideload) onto your iOS device for out-of-the-home viewing.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Iceback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You can "stream" anything, but you can only "copy" unprotected content. Basically if you can't transfer it to a PC via TivoToGo then you wont be able to copy it to the iPad either. However you'll be able to watch it on the iPad as long as you are connected to the same local network as the TiVo.

Dan
Well that is a deal breaker for me. I travel 3-4 days a week and was looking forward to loading my IPad up with unwatched content, but since 70% of my HD recorded Time Warner content is copy protected, that would be useless for my purposes. It would be nice if copy protected content could be moved from device to device by the same owner.
Iceback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Moving is what they'd have to do. When that CCI bit is set it means the user is only allowed to have one copy of the show. So if TiVo wanted to allow it to be downloaded they would have to move it, not copy it, to the other device. Which means as it transferred it would have to be deleted from the TiVo. In the case of the Stream this would present a bit of a problem because it's being transcoded there would be no way to move it back to the TiVo so it would be stuck on the iPad. And if there were any errors during the move it could result in a lost recording because you'd only get one shot at it.

That being said I hope a future version of TiVo software allows moving of protected content, both to the PC and the iPad.

Dan