TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Are TV Advertisers finally looking at older demos?

I've said for years that the older demos today aren't like the older demos 20 years ago. Seems advertisers might be figuring this out finally.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...he-new-49.html
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I don't think they have a choice. Network TV ratings are a small fraction of what they used to be.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think as the article points out, the whole concept of the 18-49 demo was born out of the baby boomers hitting adulthood in the 1970s. Well the youngest of the baby boomers are now just hitting their 50s. This is the same segment that advertisers have always been selling to. When you look at the median ages for the major networks, it's around 50. So a good chunk of their audience is above the demo they are trying to sell to.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

What demo you target all depends on the product you sell.

Younger demos are willing to try new things and have not developed deeply rooted brand loyalties. If you can get them to like your product, they can become a consumer for the next 40-50 years.

Older demos are nowhere near as fickle and flighty, but have more money to spend on big ticket items and luxury goods.

Boomers have redefined marketing and lifestyle choices at every age because of their sheer number. At 50+ years old, they have not acted like "old people" and probably still reflect purchasing choices of people 10-15 years younger than their actual age. It will be interesting to see how they redefine aging, retirement, and death and how the market will reflect that new definition through advertising messages.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
What demo you target all depends on the product you sell.

Younger demos are willing to try new things and have not developed deeply rooted brand loyalties. If you can get them to like your product, they can become a consumer for the next 40-50 years.

Older demos are nowhere near as fickle and flighty, but have more money to spend on big ticket items and luxury goods.

Boomers have redefined marketing and lifestyle choices at every age because of their sheer number. At 50+ years old, they have not acted like "old people" and probably still reflect purchasing choices of people 10-15 years younger than their actual age. It will be interesting to see how they redefine aging, retirement, and death and how the market will reflect that new definition through advertising messages.
To me, that's old school thinking, and not really how it is with this generation of "older" demos. As you point out, the 50+ folks now don't act like the older generations 20 years ago. They are exposed to many more forms of advertising, and are more willing to try new things. Sure, they may not be bleeding edge, but they might be more willing to try and improved version or different brand of something they like.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
aindik

The headline is catchy, but all the article says is that they're moving from 18-49 to 25-54 (which is the demo radio, as opposed to TV, has been concentrating on for decades). They're still ignoring 55+.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
They're still ignoring 55+.
As they should. I haven't bought anything since hitting that age.

{Tongue removed from cheek}
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
As they should. I haven't bought anything since hitting that age.

{Tongue removed from cheek}
"Haven't bought anything" isn't the point. The point is a) have you bought anything as a result of a television commercial, and b) if so, how many times did you have to see the commercial before you were convinced.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
"Haven't bought anything" isn't the point. The point is a) have you bought anything as a result of a television commercial, and b) if so, how many times did you have to see the commercial before you were convinced.
I probably buy as much due to commercials as I did when I was 18-49, which isn't much. Admittedly I'm more skeptical about commercials at 50+ than I was at 18, but probably not that much difference from when I was 30-35.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Of course I have bought advertised items but commercials don't "convince" they trigger interest...at least they do in the more mature.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I probably buy as much due to commercials as I did when I was 18-49, which isn't much. Admittedly I'm more skeptical about commercials at 50+ than I was at 18, but probably not that much difference from when I was 30-35.
Heck, I rarely bought anything due to commercials even at the low end of that coveted age range.. I've been using Tivos and VCRs before that to avoid most commercials. About the only commercials that "get" me are fast food ads for a new limited time sandwich that I like, but even those are less effective (due to me eating infinitesimally less junk food).

Though I will admit the targeted Just 4 U Safeway deals have gotten me to get stuff, though the vast majority of the time stuff I already buy. I can think of one time it got me to buy a normally $4 bottle of juice for $.99, but I haven't gotten one since, so it hasn't changed my buying choices except for stuff I was already getting (on sale then, on sale + special price now).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
inaka

It's probably because lots of 20-somethings I know don't even own a TV. They just pirate shows or watch them online, etc.

It's kind of like how Steely Dan sets sales records in the music industry. It's not necessarily because they're a great band, it's because the people that listen to them rarely know how to pirate their music.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote