TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
bmgoodman

Premiere XL + Cox Tuning Adapter = Reboots?

I gave my sister a new Premiere XL and helped her get it set up with Cox Cable and a tuning adapter. (As an aside, I'll say I was shocked at how BIG that tuning adapter is, having thankfully never seen one before.)

She called me today to say that a lot of her recordings are nothing but blank screen. She's also found that the Tivo has rebooted a handful of times in just a week already. (Her old S2 has rarely ever rebooted.)

I see there were issues with Cox tuning adapters causing reboots, but most of those posts are well over a year old.

So, is this still an issue? What should I have her check? Should she exchange the Tivo at Best Buy since she's still within 30 days? (I have Comcast and an S3 and TivoHD, so no experience with Premiere at all.)

Thanks
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I gave my sister a new Premiere XL and helped her get it set up with Cox Cable and a tuning adapter. (As an aside, I'll say I was shocked at how BIG that tuning adapter is, having thankfully never seen one before.)

She called me today to say that a lot of her recordings are nothing but blank screen. She's also found that the Tivo has rebooted a handful of times in just a week already. (Her old S2 has rarely ever rebooted.)

I see there were issues with Cox tuning adapters causing reboots, but most of those posts are well over a year old.

So, is this still an issue? What should I have her check? Should she exchange the Tivo at Best Buy since she's still within 30 days? (I have Comcast and an S3 and TivoHD, so no experience with Premiere at all.)

Thanks
does it also have a cable card?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
djwilso

Premiere needs a basically perfect signal and perfect Internet access, so I would check those things first.

For me, any kind of intermittent drop-outs in Internet can potentially cause my Premiere Elite to reboot. Luckily, this almost never happens after I upgraded my router and cable modem.

You might want to get a Cox tech out to troubleshoot signal issues. Premiere is pretty touchy when the signal isn't just right. Too strong? Reboot. Too weak? Reboot. It is almost laughable.

Also, the "all channels go black" is a thing with Cox tuning adapters. I have 2 tuning adapters, one on a Series 3 and the other on the Elite, and about every 30 days I will have to cycle power on the TiVos and TAs to get the channels back. Annoying, and since this has been happening ever since TAs were released and I've tried having them replaced a few times without any improvement, I don't expect this will ever go away.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
does it also have a cable card?
Yes, a single M-card.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
bmgoodman

I think she just might decide to go with FiOS to rid herself of the tuning adapter. I told her to be sure she tells Cox exactly why she's leaving, not that it will do any good....