TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Hippster
<something here>

Mine arrived a few hours ago. I plugged it into the network and went to look at my router's DHCP table to make sure it had grabbed an IP address. The MAC address on both the product box and actual device DOES NOT MATCH what grabbed an IP address. I hope there was not a major labeling fiasco at the factory.
Hippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
ronaldheft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmarc View Post
I have a wireless N adapter that is going into my Tivo Premiere - using the ethernet connection opening. How will I use this if I need that port for the Tivo Stream device?

Thank you
You don't plug the TiVo Stream into your TiVo, you plug it into your wireless router.
ronaldheft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippster View Post
Mine arrived a few hours ago. I plugged it into the network and went to look at my router's DHCP table to make sure it had grabbed an IP address. The MAC address on both the product box and actual device DOES NOT MATCH what grabbed an IP address. I hope there was not a major labeling fiasco at the factory.
I had this happen when I first setup mine too. Then I rebooted it and the mac address did match and I never saw the other mac address again. I wonder if it uses some sort of trickery when you're first setting it up and it's communicating with the TiVos?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #34
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a wireless N adapter that is going into my Tivo Premiere - using the ethernet connection opening. How will I use this if I need that port for the Tivo Stream device?

Thank you
Plug the stream directly into your router. The TiVo will stream to it via wifi and then it will stream to the iPad via wifi. It's entirely network based so it does not need a physical connection to the TiVo itself. Although with that setup you'll be taxing your wifi network quite a bit so you may only be able to stream one thing at a time rather then the maximum 3.

Dan

Last edited by Dan203 : 09-07-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #35
Hippster
<something here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I had this happen when I first setup mine too. Then I rebooted it and the mac address did match and I never saw the other mac address again. I wonder if it uses some sort of trickery when you're first setting it up and it's communicating with the TiVos?

Dan
I just went through setup on my iPhone and it applied software updates and it rebooted... and the MAC address now shows correct on my router. I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed something strange there!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

I kind of wish I had written it down. It may be something we can exploit to get at the stream via a computer.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #37
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

It seems a little excessive to need a separate box for this. Really this sort of functionality should be built into the Tivo - maybe the next generation will do it.

In any case, I don't intend to incorporate a limited unitask box like this into my home setup. The thing costs more than a Roku box or an Apple TV!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #38
dugbug

Yeah it is too much $. It does allow you to dl a show for offline play though
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #39
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
It seems a little excessive to need a separate box for this. Really this sort of functionality should be built into the Tivo - maybe the next generation will do it.
Man, TiVo just can't win with some people. Yes, stream is likely to be incorporated into the next generation. Could you imagine the uproar if they added it to the Series4 and required a new box to get that feature?

"Sorry, we know you just bought your XL4/Elite a couple months ago, but if you want to use the Stream feature you'll need a new box". There'd be pitchforks. Even people with 2 year old Premieres would be complaining.

The Stream Box makes perfect sense, and I expect the price to drop at some point in the usual TiVo fashion.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
jcthorne

Anyone that thinks the box is overpriced simply does not understand what the device does. It is not a Roku or apple tv. It has FAR more processing power under the hood to accomplish .h264 for 4 HD streams simultainiously. This may be the first consumer grade device to have anywhere near that level of processing on board. Heck, my quad core i7 laptop cannot do this.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
The Stream doesn't need to connect to your Premiere (directly), it just needs to connect somewhere on your network (i.e., to your router).

That being said, keep in mind the requirements say:

Quote:
A wired Ethernet or MoCA connection between your DVR and home network
edit: oops, didn't see there was a second page to this thread when I replied, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #42
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Anyone that thinks the box is overpriced simply does not understand what the device does. It is not a Roku or apple tv. It has FAR more processing power under the hood to accomplish .h264 for 4 HD streams simultainiously. This may be the first consumer grade device to have anywhere near that level of processing on board. Heck, my quad core i7 laptop cannot do this.
Ok so a 4-stream h.264 encoder asic. A nice feature for four concurrent HD streams. Would not equate that to an i7 'processing power'.

-d
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
Royster
Beardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
What percentage of Android devices are running 4.0+ right now? Not many.

4.0 was the first version to support DRM I think. I doubt Streaming will be enabled on anything less than 4.0. So I think the addressable Android user base is probably pretty small right now.
HBO Go and Netflix streaming work on Froyo. But I have 5 ICS or JB devices in my home right now.

"I <3 Royster" Polcamilla, jtlytle, danielhart
"Royster, you rock!" Olive Juice, ClassicX, betts4
"I mostly blame Royster" Jesda
Royster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I kind of wish I had written it down. It may be something we can exploit to get at the stream via a computer.
My box is arriving today, so I haven't set it up yet. Exactly where in the process did you see this faux MAC address? I'll try to grab the info in case it's useful to anyone
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #45
jfh3

I agree with previous posters on the pricing/form. $129 is very fair, given the functionality.

Do I expect it to be incorporated in at least on box in the Series 5 line? Absolutely.

If you have an iPad (or really, any tablet - Android support is clearly in the works), this is a terrific addition to your home network.

I bought an iPad about a year and a half ago primarily to use the Tivo ap, so buying this to actually watch programs on it is a no-brainer.

This may be a niche product, but, other than the baffling pre-order campaign "contest", it looks like a home run - which is something Tivo hasn't exactly been able to deliver often.

As soon as this goes below $100 - it's in impulse buy territory for many. I was going to be in on day 1 as long as (a) there was no monthly fee and (b) it was $149 or less. Sold.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
Hippster
<something here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
My box is arriving today, so I haven't set it up yet. Exactly where in the process did you see this faux MAC address? I'll try to grab the info in case it's useful to anyone
Right after you plug it in and it grabs an IP address.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #47
C_A_Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still don't understand the TiVo Stream Spotlight video. They say in the video that you can stream to any tablet or smart phone connected to your home network. But then in fine print, at the bottom, it says it's only for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch. So why not just say that it's for apple products the Spotlight Video?
Sort of like the time-share come ons to get you in the door. (Those "free" airline tickets evaporates when you read the fine print.) The spotlight video also says "wirelessly," another half-truth.

Wonder why they feel compelled to dance around the truth?
C_A_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

They only want to have to produce one video. They can remove the fine print in post after the Android app is released. But it would be much more difficult to reshoot the whole video.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #49
blackngold75

Congrats, TiVo. Sounds pretty cool - I'm not on-board right now with more Android than iOS devices in the house, but I will definitely be paying attention to future developments here. The ability to download for off-line playback and choose different file sizes is slick - and would end the need for that painful TiVo Desktop/ file conversion step that I have to go through now.

Last edited by blackngold75 : 09-07-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: corrected my typing
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #50
jfh3

The "pseudo" MAC I got was 00:13:74:00:5c:38

Still waiting for the initial software update to finish.

If anyone else gets the same address, maybe someone more clever than I can use that info.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #51
Dpordy99

I have a slingbox but this might replace my slingbox. The quality on my Slingbox is awesome however the connection does drop out and it does stutter at times. Another problem with the slingbox is that it is an absolute pain to pull up programs on my DVR and fast forwarding through commercials is kind of a pain as well.

This is a great deal considering a slingbox is double this, plus I had to pay $60 for both apps.

I think I'm going to buy this and if I like it better than the slingbox I will sell my slingbox.
Dpordy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #52
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's MUCH better then a Slingbox if you only ever use a your Slingbox for local streaming from a TiVo. If you have the Slinbox connected to any other source or use it for remote streaming, then you'll probably need to keep it.

My Slingbox broke a few months ago, and I only ever used it for TiVo anyway, so getting a Stream instead of a new Slingbox was a no brainier for me.*

Dan

* Remote streaming on the Slingbox was a nice feature to have, but I rarely travel and when I do the network connections at the hotels are usually terrible and can't support the Slingbox anyway.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #53
mschnebly

Call me crazy but I cant see sitting at home streaming a movie to my phone instead of just turning on the TV and watching it on a far bigger screen. What am I missing here?
mschnebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #54
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
Call me crazy but I cant see sitting at home streaming a movie to my phone instead of just turning on the TV and watching it on a far bigger screen. What am I missing here?
People like to watch TV in parts of the house other then the living room. Like the kitchen while cooking, the bathroom, the backyard, etc... In my case my wife wont let me put a TV in the bedroom but she's OK with me using my iPad on my nightstand to watch TV while I fall asleep. That's my main purpose for buying one.

The side loading is also nice for trips.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #55
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And I'm still waiting for my original Droid to get updated to Jelly Bean, like my Galaxy S3 runs.

Oh wait, it won't.

Enough already with the "I need to vent...". It ain't gonna happen. They're not screwing you, they're providing NEW functionality to newer devices. Just like every other electronic manuf in the world.

Remember, they aren't removing any functionality from your older devices. Simply not putting the latest apps on them.

Get over it.
This is why people buy the iPhone and/or the iPad because they know it will receive update and support from Apple.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #56
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
The "pseudo" MAC I got was 00:13:74:00:5c:38

Still waiting for the initial software update to finish.

If anyone else gets the same address, maybe someone more clever than I can use that info.
That MAC address indicates Atheros hardware. I'm guessing that initially the device comes up with it's actual hardware MAC address and then once the TiVo software is active it presents a TiVo MAC address (00:119:xx:xx:xx).

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #57
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
This is why people buy the iPhone and/or the iPad because they know it will receive update and support from Apple.
Nonsense. When will IOS6 for the original iPhone or iPhone 3GS be coming out?

Not entirely square
Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #58
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
When will IOS6 for the original iPhone or iPhone 3GS be coming out?
iOS6 for the 3GS will be available at the same time as it is available for the 4 and 4s.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #59
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
iOS6 for the 3GS will be available at the same time as it is available for the 4 and 4s.
Ok, the 3GS. But not the 3G, original iPhone, original iPad, or anything earlier than a 4th Gen iPod Touch. Some of those devices were still being sold less than two years ago.

The point is that every consumer electronics manufacturer stops providing updates for older hardware at some point, including Apple.

Not entirely square
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #60
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
I don't have a Premiere, but I can imagine getting it (and an iPad!) to use on the treadmill in another room, or for others to use the sideloading functionality to use an iPad *at the gym* to watch their recordings.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote