TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
hdfatboy2003@mac

Audio drops out using Optical Cable

Previously with a HD TiVo using an optical cable from the TiVo to his receiver my friend was able to turn off the TV and the sound from the channel would continue to be outputted. The video is fed from the TiVo to the TV via HDMI.

With a TiVo Premiere using the same setup when the TV is turned off the audio drops. The TiVo is still on and receiver is still on only the TV is turned off.

It's not making any sense to me and am trying to find a solution. He turns the TV off while he's out of the house so his cats are not left in total silence. It's comforting to them.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is the Premiere sensing the TV is turned off and not outputting the sound? Any other DVR I've had would continue to output sound even when the TV is not on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note: his TV does not support any kind of HDMI-CEC, it an older generation Sony Bravia.

Thanks.
hdfatboy2003@mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
seattlewendell

Are you using HDMI in any part of the setup? If you are the TV can send a signal via the HDMI cable back to the receiver to tell it "I am turned off, please turn off the audio".
Depending on your TV and receiver you can disable this. Check your manuals. Hope this helps.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
SNJpage1

Since the hdmi cable is going to the TV and not to the receiver and then to the TV it is possible that when the TV is turned off it loses the handshake and the Premier might be turning off the audio outputs going to the receiver. I would check and see if the other audio outputs are also being turned off.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
hdfatboy2003@mac

The HDMI handshake was one of the issue I thought could be involved as his receiver re-displays which input and audio mode is connected when the TV is powered off.

Yes, we tried the composite outputs also and the audio from them are turned off also (the video was still being fed via HDMI).

To the other poster - both units (TV and receiver) are too old to have Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC).
Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The next step in the troubleshooting process...

Substitute component cables to the TV instead of HDMI.

Does the TV have any output cables going back to the receiver?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003@mac View Post
The HDMI handshake was one of the issue I thought could be involved as his receiver re-displays which input and audio mode is connected when the TV is powered off.

Yes, we tried the composite outputs also and the audio from them are turned off also (the video was still being fed via HDMI).

To the other poster - both units (TV and receiver) are too old to have Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC).
So it's definitely the HDMI handshake. As long as the video is connected via HDMI, the cable will send a signal back to the Tivo to stop outputting sound no matter what the audio connection is. (Optical, composite, etc.)
The same thing happens with my setup but in my case I like the outcome because I don't have a universal remote and I'm too lazy most times to locate the receiver remote.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
jrm01

I have my TiVo connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AV Receiver, which in turn is connected to my TV via HDMI. When I turn off the TV the sound is still present with the receiver speakers.

It worked that way with my TiVo HD and still works that way for the TiVo Premier.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
hdfatboy2003@mac

Removed the HDMI and replaced it with Composites and that solved the issue of the audio dropping out.

Thanks for confirming the nagging HDMI handshake ...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
jrm01

Hope you mean Component (R-G-B) and not Composite (Y), else you will lose all HD.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
hdfatboy2003@mac

Component Composite ... tomato tamato ... (well not really). Yeah, I meant component, one step down from HDMI ... thanks for clearing that mistake so others aren't misled.

After spending an hour an 1/2 reprogramming his Harmony One remote I'm just glad I didn't smash his receiver so he would have to buy a new one!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003@mac View Post
Component Composite ... tomato tamato ... (well not really). Yeah, I meant component, one step down from HDMI ... thanks for clearing that mistake so others aren't misled.
Did you get the problem resolved?
The idea was to use component/composit instead of the HDMI when connecting the Tivo to the TV. That would eliminate the possibility of HDMI causing the problem you were having.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
hdfatboy2003@mac

Yep, problem is resolved. It was the HDMI handshake that was causing the problem.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsabastian View Post
So please provide the further information regarding it.
Why? The OP said the problem has been solved.