< 5,000 33 44.59%
5,000 to 10,000 13 17.57%
10,000 to 15,000 9 12.16%
> 15,000 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
sbiller

How Poll: How Many Streams will TiVo Sell in the six months?

I've read somewhere that there are about 500,000 Premiere boxes in circulation out of the current million or so TiVo Retail subscribers. We can theorize that there may be something like 1,000 Streams already sold. How many subscribers and new subscriber will be convinced to buy the TiVo Stream accessory?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
SullyND
W: 30-14

The stream is interesting. The Mini is the one which may get me to finally upgrade to a premiere.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
The stream is interesting. The Mini is the one which may get me to finally upgrade to a premiere.
It makes me wonder how many of the 500,000 or so Series 2 & 3 users will upgrade...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would think the Mini will be more popular than the Stream. I wish the Mini was released first.

Besides you can only use the stream right now if you use Apple products. The majority of the market is Android products. So if they drag their feet in releasing Android support, then that will limit their sales potential for the stream as well.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would think the Mini will be more popular than the Stream. I wish the Mini was released first.

Besides you can only use the stream right now if you use Apple products. The majority of the market is Android products. So if they drag their feet in releasing Android support, then that will limit their sales potential for the stream as well.
As of February 2012, Apple has sold 55 million iPads. I personally think the iPad is the main target and use case for the Stream.

source: http://www.quora.com/iPad/How-many-i...ill-March-2012
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
The majority of the market is Android products. So if they drag their feet in releasing Android support, then that will limit their sales potential for the stream as well.
The main market for this is tablets, not phones. And despite what the Apple-haters want to believe, the majority of the tablet market, by a wide margin, is iPad. When Apple releases the iPad Mini, I suspect the margin will grow even larger.

The Android market is much more fractured too -- many more OS versions to deal with, and more product variations.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
The main market for this is tablets, not phones. And despite what the Apple-haters want to believe, the majority of the tablet market, by a wide margin, is iPad. When Apple releases the iPad Mini, I suspect the margin will grow even larger.

The Android market is much more fractured too -- many more OS versions to deal with, and more product variations.
I am an android fan but you hit the nail on the head
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
button1066

Quote:

I was looking forward more to the Stream than the Mini. Depending on what the Mini ends up being like I might even prefer to buy another premiere with lifetime to do the same job but better and with extra tuners.

As far as the Stream goes it is as close to a killer app as TiVo has released in a long time. I think it boosts the desirability of a TiVo over other DVRs through the roof.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
modnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
As far as the Stream goes it is as close to a killer app as TiVo has released in a long time. I think it boosts the desirability of a TiVo over other DVRs through the roof.
Definitely. $129 is pretty darn cheap, and I feel like if they *could* get the price under $100, that would've made it even more desirable. Perhaps the development and production costs just aren't low enough for an item that has no direct subscription fees.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
Definitely. $129 is pretty darn cheap, and I feel like if they *could* get the price under $100, that would've made it even more desirable. Perhaps the development and production costs just aren't low enough for an item that has no direct subscription fees.
I agree. I will purchase at some point in the future but 99 would have been impluse enough for me to do now
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
innocentfreak

I don't see it breaking 5000 unless they expand functionality to support desktop, laptops, and Android.

Now if someone gets it working with KMTTG I could see it selling a few more. I don't see it breaking 10k though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I don't see it breaking 5000 unless they expand functionality to support desktop, laptops, and Android.

Now if someone gets it working with KMTTG I could see it selling a few more. I don't see it breaking 10k though.
Agreed.
And, even if they did expand support as above... For me this article makes it a non starter: http://www.multichannel.com/article/...Copy_Once_.php

I cannot understand why anyone would want to watch HD material on a 7" screen. Seems like an oxymoron.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
morac
Cat God

How many of those 500,000 Premieres are cable company provided? From what I've read the Stream won't work with Premiere's provided by cable companies, only user bought Premieres.

According to TiVo's latest quarterly results, they only have 1,057,000 customer owned subscribers compared with 1,658,000 MSO subscribers. Those numbers should include customers with lifetime service on the Premiere since the amortization period for the Premiere shouldn't be up yet. The number also includes Series 1, 2 and 3 boxes with month to month subscriptions.

In any case, based on the number of people who jumped at the chance to pre-order a Stream (less than 20 people based on posts in these forums), I'd say TiVo will have a hard time selling 5000 of these by March. Not unless the price drops.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Agreed.
And, even if they did expand support as above... For me this article makes it a non starter: http://www.multichannel.com/article/...Copy_Once_.php

I cannot understand why anyone would want to watch HD material on a 7" screen. Seems like an oxymoron.
The headline on that article is very misleading. The Stream can stream anything, no matter how it's protected. The only thing it blocks is offline downloading, which is to be expected as TiVoToGo has the same restrictions.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

As of February 2012, Apple has sold 55 million iPads. I personally think the iPad is the main target and use case for the Stream.

source: http://www.quora.com/iPad/How-many-i...ill-March-2012
So they have actually sold 55 million iPads in the US? I would have thought it was lower. That is 17% of the US population which is amazing.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
sbiller

Quote:
So they have actually sold 55 million iPads in the US? I would have thought it was lower. That is 17% of the US population which is amazing.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
I think that is a global number but I would guess its north of 40 in the US.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

I'm sure there will be some bundling deals for black friday and Christmas/Holiday shopping. It's a great way to sell Premiere's this Fall/Winter, and it makes for a nice add-on for existing premiere customers who have Ipads.

TiVo knows the potential for this because they know exactly how many people have downloaded and are using the TiVo app with their premieres...they will definitely be able to push targeted marketing directly to those customers with their TiVo Premieres and using the app.

It's definitely a killer app/device, and yes, with the eventual Android app update, it should have even better potential.

If TiVo is smart, they will also update TivoDesktop to be able to connect to it as well for faster downloads to PCs.

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_anders View Post
If TiVo is smart, they will also update TivoDesktop to be able to connect to it as well for faster downloads to PCs.
+1

The Desktop app has been stale for way too long. They need to update it badly. In addition to Stream support to the desktop they also need to add H.26 pull support without recoding, and updated music and photos apps. If they can tie this all together, and finally finish the HDUI, then I think they will really be back in the game.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
smbaker

I think they can easily beat 15,000 units.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
rtmoore4

Quote:
Then you don't have one of the new iPads with the Retina display. On it's 9.6" screen, HD content is glorious.
rtmoore4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmoore4 View Post
Then you don't have one of the new iPads with the Retina display. On it's 9.6" screen, HD content is glorious.
I don't care how pretty it looks if it is only 9.6". I would rather watch on a 27" CRT at that point. Just like I would rather watch on the 58" Plasma over the 50" Plasma.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't care how pretty it looks if it is only 9.6". I would rather watch on a 27" CRT at that point. Just like I would rather watch on the 58" Plasma over the 50" Plasma.
Sometime it's more convenient to use an iPad. Like in my case my wife wont allow me to put a full size TV in the bedroom because it's too loud and bright. But she's fine with me using my iPad on my night stand. In that case it's only like a foot from my face so the video quality looks just fine. It's also nice to watch a movie while you're on a plane or in a hotel room with a ****ty CRT TV.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Sometime it's more convenient to use an iPad. Like in my case my wife wont allow me to put a full size TV in the bedroom because it's too loud and bright. But she's fine with me using my iPad on my night stand. In that case it's only like a foot from my face so the video quality looks just fine. It's also nice to watch a movie while you're on a plane or in a hotel room with a ****ty CRT TV.

Dan
On a plane and traveling I think it makes perfect sense.

I just can't see me watching video on the iPad when I have a choice of a TV in front of me. Of course I don't have a wife so I didn't have any objections to looking at a 50" for my bedroom.

I assume it looks great and would have no problems with the quality, but I just couldn't get into watching something on that small of a screen. I never watch video on my phone either though. If anything I would use it for background noise like playing a concert or standup.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmoore4 View Post
You're right; and unless I win or inherit one probably never will.
I'll take your word that a 9.6" screen can appear "glorious."

It's amazing how marketing gets into peoples' minds.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
smbaker

Quote:
It's amazing how marketing gets into peoples' minds.
Whether or not a screen looks good is a separate issue from the size of the screen.

Of course, I don't want to do the majority of my TV viewing on a 9.6" screen when I have a 55" screen in the other room. But, for those times I want to use a small screen, it's a hell of a good picture. I'm working right now, and am much happier watching my iPad than a 9.6" PIP window on my ultrasharp monitor. Tivo Stream is working for me as expected.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Will also be good for watching TV in the kitchen while cooking. I don't cook much, but for a few special occasions I bake and it can take hours. Normally I blare the TV in the other room for some background noise, but now I can just put my iPad on the counter somewhere and actually watch it. (or at least glace at it every once in a while)

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Quote:
"It's amazing how marketing gets into peoples' minds."
You haven't discovered the ease and convenience of using a tablet yet for reading, and consuming content.

There are a lot of people that only have laptops (and when it comes time to refresh many now are opting to buy a tablet (ios or Android)), and the exercise is the same for consuming content, and the personal ease and experience on a tablet is even easier.

When you are sitting on a chair and chair, and it's only 1-2 feet from you, video on an Ipad is very good. I've got an Ipad2 and it's fine, but I have seen ipad3 's screen in action and it is an amazing screen for a tablet.

It's also been a life saver for travel (car and air travel) with two children, and now with Tivo Stream it is another world. Just before a trip, I would need to make it 2 hour excercise to pull video through Tivo Desktop, have it convert for ipad, and then finally download it to the Ipad. Now it's effortless.

Marketing doesn't convince people like me of a tablet's utility, experience does.

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
NYHeel

Quote:
Screen size is irrelevant by itself. Only screen size and distance from your eyes together is relevant. That 9.6" screen at about 1' from your eyes likely looks much "bigger" than a 27" tv that is 10' away from your eyes. I'd rather watch a 50" tv at 8' than a 58" one at 16'.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Screen size is irrelevant by itself. Only screen size and distance from your eyes together is relevant. That 9.6" screen at about 1' from your eyes likely looks much "bigger" than a 27" tv that is 10' away from your eyes. I'd rather watch a 50" tv at 8' than a 58" one at 16'.
Not for me it isn't. I don't find the iPad immersive at all. It doesn't matter where I hold it. I don't find watching video that way enjoyable.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
sbiller

Typical Use-Case for Me

I like streaming live TV (CNBC) to my iPad as a 3rd screen TV when I'm working at my desk.

I do wish I had a way to tell it to keep going automatically at the end of a program slot.