TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #61
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There was a somewhat disturbing interview with showrunner Eric Kripke on Blastr where he goes on at some length about his approach to the show...and not once mentions what happened.

My hopes for the intelligence of the show just dropped considerably...
Well, I hope they don't just expect the audience to accept that this is "just the way things are" without any back story. I absolutely love shows/books/movies with apocalyptic themes but can't stand when the foundation of the story is nonexistent.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #62
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
Well, I hope they don't just expect the audience to accept that this is "just the way things are" without any back story. I absolutely love shows/books/movies with apocalyptic themes but can't stand when the foundation of the story is nonexistent.
I need either more or less. If there's going to be any kind of explanation (e.g., "the electricity stopped working"), then it has to make some kind of sense. But if it's less specific (e.g., "civilization crumbled because of some catastrophe"), I can live with that.

But it doesn't sound like it matters to Kripke beyond "Wouldn't it be cool if the electricity stopped working," without thinking about what that means. Which is unfortunate, it that's really the way they're going. But I'll still wait and see. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #63
john4200

Quote:
There was a somewhat disturbing interview with showrunner Eric Kripke on Blastr where he goes on at some length about his approach to the show...and not once mentions what happened.

His comparison of Revolution to Tolkien is very disturbing. Not only is the comparison poor, he seems to have no idea of how much time and work Tolkien put into creating the background for his story.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #64
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The best explanation I can think of is that it is some sort of targeted nanomachine plague -- specifically designed to target the technologies that have failed.
SMEEK. That's what I said on post #17.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #65
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
SMEEK. That's what I said on post #17.
#18, your focus was on the alien aspect. I was exploring the nanomachine aspect, especially the holes in the theory -- it is inconsistent. My point is that nanomachines are the least inconsistent explanation I can think of, but it still has major problems. So I don't have much hope for the series coming up with an explanation that has no major consistency problems.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #66
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I'm not an expert on planes, but I kind of doubt jet liners would just fall from the sky without electricity. I would think they would need more redundancies than that.

Still, why no combustion or steam engines?
Or Hydraulics (I Know steam engines can be considered hydraulics, but I'm referring to things like hydraulic presses or actuators).
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #67
ffneil

Why is this on the same night as Football?
ffneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #68
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho View Post
That story will be a tricky one. Batteries don't work, but turning chemical energy into charge separation (electricity) works just fine in human nervous systems ...
Along with steam engines, they'll need to explain the absence of diesel.
I was going to mention diesel vehicles. In that scene where they watch all the lights on the highway going out in line, the diesel cars and trucks would be running fine until they were shut off or ran out of fuel. The glow plugs for starting need power but you could cobble heating the cylinders from a fire and push start or somesuch.

I would say that airplanes and cars run fine without a battery but they need the electric magneto and ignition to fire the spark plugs.

Quote:
I need either more or less. If there's going to be any kind of explanation (e.g., "the electricity stopped working"), then it has to make some kind of sense. But if it's less specific (e.g., "civilization crumbled because of some catastrophe"), I can live with that.

But it doesn't sound like it matters to Kripke beyond "Wouldn't it be cool if the electricity stopped working," without thinking about what that means. Which is unfortunate, it that's really the way they're going. But I'll still wait and see. The proof is in the pudding.
I'm with you. This is very much smelling to be a cartoon. I doubt I'll stay with it for more than a few shows.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

They really are pushing the "girl with a bow" angle.

Worked for "Brave"

In fact so well, my 6yo daughter added a bow/arrows to her Christmas list. So she can "shoot the deer in the backyard" lol.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #70
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
the diesel cars and trucks would be running fine until they were shut off or ran out of fuel.
1) Only if they had mechanical fuel pumps and not electrical ones.

2) Automotive Diesels nowadays are EFI. No computer to run the fuel solenoids, no fuel injection.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #71
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Terra Nova and this show sucked me in with their previews. And both were disappointing.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #72
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Was going to mention...

It took "General Monroe" 15 years to remember that Miles warned his brother about the event right before it happened?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #73
robojerk

Quote:
Was going to mention...

It took "General Monroe" 15 years to remember that Miles warned his brother about the event right before it happened?
I predict that Charlie's mom is with Monroe or something... I mean he would need to know how the power, magic, physics, stuff turned off in order to turn it back on.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #74
innocentfreak

Not very far into it and I see myself dumping ths one pretty quickly. I just not have the patience I did before with shows like this especially with as easily as they cancel them.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #75
Peter000

Quote:
Was going to mention...

Well, he only heard one side of the conversation. The only clue he would have had was the last thing Miles said which was "what do you mean, what's gong to turn off?"

Even if Monroe did put 2 and 2 together, he might not been in a position to do anything about it until now, or been searching for Ben and Miles for awhile before he found out where they were. It takes a fair amount of time to build up a post-apocalyptic empire.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #76
Peter000

Quote:

Considering that he recently spent 5 years on a show with essentially no rules at all (Supernatural) I'm not surprised he isn't all that concerned with a few limitations of physics.

I wish this program had half the attitude and fun that Supernatural did during his time there. I don't know how a post-apocalyptic show can do that, but if it doesn't inject some lighter stuff it's going to collapse under the weight of it's own seriousness.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #77
DLiquid
Progressive User

The discussion here is far more interesting than the show was. The cheesy soundtrack and silly wardrobe made it hard for me to take it seriously. The scenes with the bow wielding militia guy were almost MST3K bad.

I felt myself having a hard time suspending disbelief at all of the inconsistencies. The airport runway is all grass after 15 years? Does Tarmac require electricity to prevent it from breaking down? Or would it just look cool if the runway was all grass, cause that fits the look of the show better?

I might give it another episode, but I'm not sure if I can make it through another one.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #78
mchasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I hope it is internally consistent. What if the "laws" of physics have just changed? I am thinking of the ideal gas law, PV=nRT. What if R, the gas constant, has changed, or is no longer a constant? All steam engines, whether powered by wood, coal, gas, fission, etc, rely on behavior of gasses under pressure, as do diesel and gas internal combustion engines.
We've seen that firearms work, so burning powder still makes an expanding gas that creates pressure. Maybe it's "changed" such that a gun will still fire, but other things won't work? I dunno, but I'm thinking it's more some variation on EMP where "fancy 'lectric stuff no work good no more".

There's a lot of things that bother me about this show, and most of them seem like just a little thought would have improved things.

I can even overlook the plane crash, sorta. So the event made all the control surfaces go wonky, so it got into that spin, I suppose enough of that could dump most of it's forward momentum, at least it wasn't on fire A more realistic crash would have worked just as well though.

All filmmakers aren't past the "gunshots make people fly back 10 feet" thing, yet? And the whole lack of modern firearms is odd. Sure, guns are illegal for the citizens, so they have mostly bows and stuff, but there are way too many hand reloading presses in basements around the country that people use to make modern cartridges, so the regression of the mililita all way back to Civil War era tech muzzleloaders seems out of place and unnecessary. Not to mention that many of those basements with the reloading presses would have modern firearms that would have been confiscated when the firearm ban went into place. If the time frame were much longer than 15 years, I might believe it.

I get that Ben had to die for the story to move forward, but no one seemed to bother to come up with a plausible way for that to happen. The militia guy, who fires the first shot, at close range, and is probably a pretty decent shot, manages to shoot the one guy they're after? Really? It would have been so much more believable (though cliche) if Ben got hit somewhere in the crossfire that ensued after.

I get they're trying to make "Lost 2", but I think they're going to have to start thinking a lot harder about the details.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #79
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I'm just going to say that I liked it, will set a season pass and then I will back out of the thread. I don't have a desire to pick it apart.

I will say the first show that popped in my head as a comparison was not Terra Nova or The Hunger Games. For me it had more of an Jericho vibe.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #80
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hadn't thought of Terra Nova till that was mentioned here, but I hope it is better than that ended up. My SP is set and I will give it a few more episodes to see how it all plays out.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #81
vman41
Omega Consumer

The first episode sure had a high body count.

They've done a remarkable job of preserving their clothing stocks for 15 years.

Traveling on foot in winter is going to suck. What have they got to barter for food along the way?
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #82
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Seems like a cheesy rip off / mash up of a bunch of recent pop culture things. Hunger games meets lost meets falling skies. Not as good as falling skies so far, which is not exactly a masterpiece, but I'm enjoying it well enough to keep it for now somehow. Perhaps it fills the "dumb show I for some reason watch" void left by Smallville.

So far Esposito is the most interesting thing about this show.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #83
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post

yeah, that was the first thing I noticed

that guy and that girl went hunting and then went into the old rv/camper they found

the boy's shirt looked like it just came from the store, it was whiter than white;
seriously, spotless, no tatters, no smudge, not even a loose thread

and did I mention WHITE

so for what, 10 years with no electricity and the clothes look like that ?

I changed the channel as soon as he got the asthma attack

the series will never make it to season 2
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #84
DLiquid
Progressive User

I see some mentions of Terra Nova. Based on just the Revolution pilot (it could get better), I think that Terra Nova was much better, especially if you just compare pilot to pilot. I think Jericho was also better, though I lost interest in that after several episodes. Revolution is on a whole different level of cheesy than Terra Nova and Jericho. And comparing this to LOST? I don't think so. It reminds me more of a Hunger Games knockoff you might see on the Syfy channel.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #85
mwhip
All better

As usual I see if the premise of the pilot is enough to get me to tune in again and this pilot did that. I will then give it a couple weeks to find its footing and see if I still want to watch. I very rarely make a knee jerk reaction on a pilot.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #86
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
The first episode sure had a high body count.

Traveling on foot in winter is going to suck. What have they got to barter for food along the way?
How do you know there is still winter?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #87
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
How do you know there is still winter?
Yeah, and if everything with electricity is f'd up, is there any lightning anymore??
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #88
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
...Still, why no combustion or steam engines?
That was my thought as well? Steam powered locomotives?
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #89
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffneil View Post
Why is this on the same night as Football?
Why not?
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #90
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Why not?
The odds are not in his favor...football night is Monday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, sometimes Friday...