TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Dancing with the Stars 10/15/12

OMG, that Bollywood number was a soggy mess. I mean, it was okay given the rehearsal time they had, but ugh.

I'm only at the halfway mark, but Louis and Sabrina's disco is my favorite so far.

Edited to add: Gilles and Peta were waaay over marked.

Favorite dances at the 1:33 mark (not in any order)

Jitterbug
Mambo
Disco

We'll see what happens next.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-16-2012 at 01:22 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Could you describe why? I thought it was good, but of course I don't have any idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Bollywood. It just seemed high energy and they looked to be having fun with it.

While the dances were all pretty good this week it seemed the best ones were in the 2nd half of the show this week. I did like the Disco as well. I was also really surprised how well they pulled off Contemporary.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
wprager

I thought the Bollywood numbers was great. It was mixed with a bit of Arabian Nights but, so what. Kudos to Gilles for going for it -- this guy will tackle anything thrown to him -- let's see Shawn do a believable waltz, eh?

If you want to talk about over-marked, let's start and finish with Bristol. I guess the 8 was an average between Mark's 9 and Palin's 7 (and I'm being generous). This guy just doesn't know how *not* to show off his partner.

As for the disco number, sorry, but every time I hear that music I see Travolta in my brain, and then I'm just biased against what my eyes see.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
wprager

P.S. Yes, I'm still bitter about when she "beat" him.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
hummingbird_206

I really enjoyed all of the dances last night. My favorites were Shawn & Derek and Kelly & Val. What was the story with Kelly and a Broken toe? And I thought the Bollywood number was fun to watch, but I'm no expert for sure.

I think part of why I don't like Bristol is because I detest Mark so much. He dances so way over the top even when his partner can barely keep up. Just looks awful. And it's not just with Bristol, he does it with every partner.

And I enjoyed Paula as a guest judge. I thought she'd have a lot of interaction with Len, but turned out she and Bruno were quite the pair.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I felt Karina played the sympathy card. I didn't even notice she fell 'til I rewound it. Also, how can you not breakdance in a Hip_hop number?!

Thought Shawn and Derek's were best. And I wanna puke whenever I see Kelly and Val.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I thought the Bollywood number was great, but I'll admit to being biased. Gilles could probably come out and sit in a chair for two minutes and I would score him all 10's.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I felt Karina played the sympathy card. I didn't even notice she fell 'til I rewound it. Also, how can you not breakdance in a Hip_hop number?!
They were doing '90s hip-hop, which doesn't really fit in with breakdancing. A entirely different sub-genre.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Could you describe why? I thought it was good, but of course I don't have any idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Bollywood. It just seemed high energy and they looked to be having fun with it.
Sure, it was high energy, and it was a good attempt, given the limited rehearsal time that they had for the show. I just wanted more. I didn't think it had the polish that the jitterbug number had, for instance (no surprise there).

Bear in mind that the stuff I'm bitching about is not Gilles' fault. He tried damned hard.

The whole "pick the style for your competitors" idea is a recipe for a bad show. You have people deliberately steering others towards styles you don't think they can do. As a viewer, I'd rather do the opposite -- I want to have a list of styles and be able to pick the couple I think would be the best at each one -- so for Bollywood, I would have wanted Melissa and Tony, or Shawn and Derek, or Sabrina and Louis.

I don't know the work of the choreographer who helped with the routine. I have very limited exposure to Bollywood, mostly through seeing it on So You Think You Can Dance. So I've only been exposed to the work of a few choreographers.

With that in mind -- one of the things I watch for in Bollywood are the hand positions. They showed Peta and Gilles being shown some of the hand positions in the rehearsal footage, but I don't know how many of them actually showed up in the routine.

The other thing I was missing is the crispness and attack that I've seen in other numbers. That may be a difference in style between this choreographer and others, or it may just be an artifact of them being under-rehearsed.

Also, last night they set me up to be disappointed by the number when they showed Gilles attempting the knee turns in rehearsal, then not having them in the routine.

<FX: short pause>

I just watched it again, without watching the rehearsal footage beforehand, which sets you up to think the performance is going to be bad.

I think part of the reason it seemed "off" to me last night is the hideous music arrangement -- Gilles and Peta aren't to blame for that. The dancers can be doing really crisp movement, but if the music is schlooping through all the beats, the movement won't have the impact it should have.

I see that Peta did get in some of the more elaborate hand gestures; watching Gilles last night, the number seemed sort of lobster-handed, like he was only doing the easy hand shapes and not the harder ones.

And watching it back a second time now, it seems like Gilles is a little behind Peta a lot of the time. It's a 'big' ask for him, because he's a big guy -- it takes more time for him to move than it would for a smaller dancer, which is why Bollywood is a great choice if you want to sabotage him.

But never mind all that. The thing that is the MOST lacking in the number is the chemistry. Peta tries for the flirtatiousness, but Gilles is trying so hard to get the steps in, the whole thing just doesn't have the sparkle it should have.

See some of my favorite performances for comparison:

Here's the first Bollywood number from season four of So You Think You Can Dance, with Katee and Joshua (choreography by Nakul Dev Mahajan):

and from the skating rink:

From Dancing on Ice -- Hayley and Daniel. This video is interesting for two reasons -- first, because the song is the same as the one they used on Dancing With the Stars, and you can hear what the song really sounds like. And second, because their choreographer (Minila Shah) talks about what she looks for in a good Bollywood performance (at 1:15) [performance starts around 2:40].

And finally, to show the flirtatiousness and fun, US Ice Dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White. This one of the earlier performances in the season, so may be not their best performance of this OD, but it's the clearest video I've seen, and includes the replays at the end so you can see a lot of the highlight moves in close up. Plus it has Charlie in the gold costume, and not the one they changed to later on, which I don't like as well. (The skating choreography is by their coach Marina Zoueva -- Charlie and Meryl learned the Bollywood movement from Anuja Rajendra).

(More info at ESPN -- Davis-White's Bollywood-style OD a hit in India

Like I said -- Gilles performance was a good try; I just wanted more.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
As for the disco number, sorry, but every time I hear that music I see Travolta in my brain, and then I'm just biased against what my eyes see.
Yeah, I had exactly the same problem when I heard "Jai Ho" for Gilles and Peta's number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I think part of why I don't like Bristol is because I detest Mark so much. He dances so way over the top even when his partner can barely keep up. Just looks awful. And it's not just with Bristol, he does it with every partner.
I like Mark, in part because I enjoyed watching his parents so much when they were in their prime. His folks were always such great fun to watch.

And I don't disagree about Mark dancing way over the top while his partner can't keep up, but let's be fair -- he's hardly the only pro on the show which is guilty of that. Remember all the routines we used to get where Edyta danced around her partner?

Remember the early seasons when Louis was on, when it seemed like instead of him leading his partner, she was a prop he was twirling around like a baton?

However -- this season has convinced me that maybe Mark isn't the greatest teacher. Not because of Bristol. Look at what Shawn has done this season dancing with Derek. It seems like she has really blossomed out and become a LOT more confident than she was during her original season.

The first time out, it was "oh, look, she can keep up with Mark" -- and now, it's more like wondering if Derek can keep up with her. Which means, maybe, that Derek has finally learned how to showcase his partner.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
hummingbird_206

Going home tonight was....
Spoiler:
Mark and Bristol. Yippee!!!!

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy