TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Fringe "The Recordist" (10/12/12) [SPOILERS]

Well, that was snoozer. You could have rolled everything in this ep into 5 minutes of another ep - Walter gets his red Kryptonite, Olivia and Etta have a moment, and again, Dr. Beckett dies.

5 different tapes for the info to take down the Observers? Maybe a medium a little more stable than Betamax tapes. I'm thinking DVD.

I'm hoping the pace speeds up.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Tpfer

I am glad I was not the only one that thought this was a bad episode. 30sec skip used on half the show here.
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
squint

I'm confused as to why simply ambering things gets the Observers to back off. It doesn't seem all that hard to cut through the amber yet once they amber people or objects the Observers that were once pursuing them are suddenly content to leave them be, even for decades.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
wprager

Good to see Broyles, even if only as a photograph. How did those "recordists" survive? Where did they get their food and stuff (yes, I missed P&R this week)? How are they powering their equipment (yes, I heard about their solar panel tech, but they are deep inside a forest with very tall trees and a canopy apparently to hide them from above). Why did Walter hide the plan in 5 or 6 places? I mean, sure, as a birthday party thing the hunt would be fun. But it the Observers found out about the plan they would have no trouble finding 1 or 6 or 20 tapes. The only thing he has accomplished is to make it more difficult for them to find all the pieces. Really sloppy writing, IMO.

This season has not been very good so far.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Agreed.....booooooring. Is this what each week is gonna be? Find the next tape? Bleh....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Timbeau

I'm betting we'll see at least a few more tape of the week episodes.

Can someone 'splain to me why the Recorders had bark growing on their skin? I thought they said that it was something the Observers introduced into the atmosphere and since the Recorders were in a remote area they were hit hardest? That makes no sense to me, but I thought that was what I heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
stellie93

I think it was supposed to be coming from the mine--a milder version of what happened to the men who went down into the mine--the crusty corpse Walter was examining. Which makes you wonder about them carrying around a bucket of the crystals.... Or maybe I have it wrong.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
I'm betting we'll see at least a few more tape of the week episodes.

Can someone 'splain to me why the Recorders had bark growing on their skin? I thought they said that it was something the Observers introduced into the atmosphere and since the Recorders were in a remote area they were hit hardest? That makes no sense to me, but I thought that was what I heard.
Basically, it was a side effect of either living near the mine or in that particular area (forget which), where the recording device was.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

Either Time Warner cable or the FOX O&A screwed up royally and almost the entire episode was out of audio/video sync (sound was several seconds behind) and I had to obtain the episode via other means.

I'm not sure about the complaints about "boring" here as this is obviously a set up episode for the finale.

And we've known about the tape hunt from the last episode.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

What I wanna know is how Dr. Beckett shaves. It's gotta be hard going over the bark.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Worf

5 tapes? Walter in the video mentioned 6 or 7!

The biggest question is - are all the tapes located in the lab? And how come them being in the lab won't tip off the observers? I mean, they have power and all that - are the Observers so complacent about their ownership of the area that no one could've broken in?

And I know Fox gave them 12 episodes to end it, but if there's 8 tapes (tape 6 or 7 was to have instructions on refining the crystals to make the power supply, I assume there'll be a tape 8 to explain how it goes together), does that mean we're going to see them retrieve it one per episode, then the final 3 being putting the machine together and wiping it out? Oh yeah, add an episode where they get busted in the lab too...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Family

I try to like Fringe, but my body tells me it's boring.

There is no other show that I watch which puts me to sleep. I fight it. It took me two evenings to watch this episode and at the end of the second I was still dozing despite it not even being late. In fact after Fringe ended I was able to view two more (average) shows and stayed awake.

This speaks for itself.

I love the premise (and the first episode this season had much promise), but the writers continue to drag out a story which might be incredibly interesting, but needs consolidation. I've heard they have enough story for eight seasons. Well use some. This is it.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I guess I'm in the minority, I thought it was ok, and I think that that the quest format to rattle off the last 12 episodes as they reach a conclusion that we can pretty much agree will be them beating/nullifying the Observers is what the end game is.
I give them a lot of credit for setting down a roadmap for S5 and then sticking to it, I do hope it will be a solid conclusion, and dammit I want Olivia and Peter happy!

What I did notice at 3 episodes in and 9 left is how they're working with the lower budget numbers they were given, we've pulled back to a primary cast of only 6, all the other Fringe agents are gone, and several episodes have been very few standing sets used. They're not using nearly as many street shots as they used to with extras, etc.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
Worf

Maybe saving it for the big finale?

But I guess there's a lot less set dressing going on - I recognize those places, and the usual stage they film at outdoors (which is along my commute) isn't there anymore like it was last season. (One of the benefits of being filmed locally. Yes, I also play "where was this scene filmed" trying to identify the location).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
MikeMar
Go Pats

Thought it was ok, and in the camp that hopes it's not a monster of the week ep every week getting the tapes.

That said, still love the show

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nothing exciting but it was ok.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It was definitely one of the weaker episodes of the series, but still semi-interesting. Odd that in 2015, Walter would think using Betamax was the best option for preserving this info for future generations.

There was a shot of Etta with binoculars seeing the Loyalists driving down the road toward them. Then the show went on for several more minutes where she didn't tell anyone about it and there was no urgency for the characters to hide or move the van or anything. In fact, I think the whole conversation between Peter and Olivia while they were taking the weatherstripping off the van was AFTER Etta saw the Loyalists closing in on their position. So what was the point of showing us that Etta saw them coming if she wasn't going to do anything about it?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Odd that in 2012, anybody would think anything that Walter would think would be anything but odd.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
MikeMar
Go Pats

I wonder if Betamax vs VHS/DVD/Etc survives better in the amber over 20-30+ years

Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
squint

If amber can keep people alive in stasis and contain interdimensional rifts, I think it could preserve any type of media.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If amber can keep people alive in stasis and contain interdimensional rifts, I think it could preserve any type of media.
Who the hell knows That's my best guess

Not like we have amber here

Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I wonder if Betamax vs VHS/DVD/Etc survives better in the amber over 20-30+ years
A loooong time ago, I worked in TV/Radio news, and, if I recall correctly, Betamax was used because the quality was/is significantly better than VHS. I don't know about its longevity.

XL4
Old 10-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
A loooong time ago, I worked in TV/Radio news, and, if I recall correctly, Betamax was used because the quality was/is significantly better than VHS. I don't know about its longevity.
Well, if you worked in TV, they would have been using Betacam, not it's home cousin Betamax. Betacam and the later versions of it survived significantly longer in the broadcast field than Betamax did in the home market.

Betacam and Betamax tapes appeared very similar, but were completely incompatible with each other.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Well, if you worked in TV, they would have been using Betacam, not it's home cousin Betamax. Betacam and the later versions of it survived significantly longer in the broadcast field than Betamax did in the home market.

Betacam and Betamax tapes appeared very similar, but were completely incompatible with each other.
Yep...that's what I meant. Admittedly, I was more on the radio side of our newsroom (we had a combined news operation), so I had little contact with the technology. And this was 25+ years ago....

XL4
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

From the previews for next week:

Spoiler:
It looks like they'll use some of what they learned while solving fringe cases to fight the observers...I always thought this would be an awesome idea.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Peter000

Re: Beta tape longevity... there's no reason (other than mechanical breakdown) that tape wouldn't survive 30 years. I have VHS tapes that have survived in perfect working order for 20 years in much worse conditions than a perfect preservation environment like the amber is (hell if a human body can come out living...).
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

We can assume that it was 2011 when the invaders came. Why the hell would Walter use Beta to record something? Almost everything is digital now. Seems like they just wanted a crutch to make the tapes partially listenable in order to add suspense.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I know people a lot less strange than Walter who are utterly addicted to obsolete technologies...

If it were anybody but Walter, I'd probably need to be convinced. But with Walter, let's face it, by now they can pretty much get away with any quirk.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
We can assume that it was 2011 when the invaders came. Why the hell would Walter use Beta to record something? Almost everything is digital now. Seems like they just wanted a crutch to make the tapes partially listenable in order to add suspense.
Seeing how he had to dismantle his laserdisc player to get the laser to cut into the amber, having Beta still around make sense. If Walter had it and it still worked he didn't throw it away.

I've still got my laserdisc player and have several Criterion releases, some that are not released in digital, so I keep it all. I also have a DV camcorder and a bunch of tapes. I don't record anything with it, but I could. (There's also my 8mm and 16mm movie cameras and projectors if I really wanted to go old school )

So Walker just used what he had handy. Consistent with his character.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I believe that the invasion was in 2015.

But even if they'd used digital on optical disc or hard drive, you could still have drop outs due to file corruption or media damage.

I have to go along with the others in saying that the Betamax is Walter being Walter.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote