TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Peter000

Revolution Pilot: Hulu/Web now, airs 9/17/12 SPOILERS

I think this show has potential. Of course I'm a sucker for shows with a dystopian/post-apocolyptic future.

I like the characters so far, and the show made me want to find out more about that world.

The swashbuckling fight scene near the end was pretty fun as well. I totally was surprised that the guy he was in the car with at the beginning was the General.

I hope they also get into some about how they're surviving, and showing cool non-electric ways of doing things. And specifics about the rules. For example fire works, and that means they should be able to build some sort of steam engine... and that could mean a train. Or steam powered trucks. Or whatever. I mean, the world wasn't totally going to hell in a handbasket before electricity was harnessed.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I enjoyed it too. I'm a sucker for anything with Giancarlo Esposito in it. I wonder how many of those "power cells" the woman was using at the end exist.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
mmilton80
Custom User Title

I was floored at the two deaths in the beginning (one off-screen).

Definitely enough to keep me around.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving. - A Tour Guide
mmilton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I enjoyed it too. I'm a sucker for anything with Giancarlo Esposito in it. I wonder how many of those "power cells" the woman was using at the end exist.
At least 3.

I call them "undampeners" in my mind. Though I'm sure we'll get a name for them soon.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I noticed this last night on Hulu and watched it. I liked it enough to continue watching the show.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
vertigo235

I enjoyed it enough to keep my interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
mwhip
All better

We will see how it goes.

Did they mention how the mom died or just that she was dead?

And of course the Lost moment...who is on the other end of the computer?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
vertigo235

I think dad inferred that she was abducted by one of the bandits (like the ones on the plane)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
stellie93

I read a book by SM Stirling that was mentioned on an earlier thread as maybe being what this was based on. The plot is totally different, but the premise is pretty close. Except on it, guns just don't work. To me, that makes all the sword fighting a little more reasonable. Here it's like they have really effective gun control, so everybody just went out and made themselves a sword and took fencing lessons. (and bows too). Would people really do that if no one but the government had guns all of a sudden? I guess that's the situation. Take a look, all you gun control advocates.

Hopefully there will be lots of flashbacks--I doubt if Juliet was just in that one scene. It seemed really promising to me.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Here it's like they have really effective gun control, so everybody just went out and made themselves a sword and took fencing lessons. (and bows too). Would people really do that if no one but the government had guns all of a sudden? I guess that's the situation. Take a look, all you gun control advocates.
Well, their "really effective gun control" is a military dictatorship that says "if anybody but us has guns, we will kill them"...and people have guns anyway. Which seems kind of plausible on both ends (that the dictatorship would try for a monopoly, and that it wouldn't work).

The guns also seemed pretty primitive, which makes me think that some "modern" guns don't work for some reason.

(There was a LOT that was not said about what works and what doesn't.)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
vertigo235

I think modern guns work just fine, reference Gus' gun which appeared to be a Desert Eagle or something.

I'm thinking that after 15 years all the manufactured ammo is rare or scarce, so they use breach loaded guns because it's easy to hand mfg ammo.

Just a guess though.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
john4200

It seems like the only way it can be explained it that there is some sort of hand-waving physics distortion field that makes certain technology not work, and then jammers which create a bubble in the distortion field to let technology work.

On the global pictures, it seemed like the center of the distortion field was either the east-coast US or possibly further east in or on the Atlantic ocean. You could see the lights go out in a circle expanding from that general region.

Of course, that shot was inconsistent with the shot of the cars' headlights going out, since with the cars the leading edge of the distortion field was traveling at maybe 90mph or less, whereas with the global picture the leading edge was traveling at maybe 1% of light speed.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would have liked to see more of the immediate aftermath to the incident, perhaps as a series of short vignettes showing the progression over the fifteen year period.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
So if the power is out everywhere, how can the amulet allow things to work locally? Where is that power coming from for the computer, for instance? It's a sure bet that after 15 years the generators aren't spinning anymore.

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
bluntspoon

It wasn't a huge pile of suck, which is what I was expecting. It wasn't that good either.

If you're going to enjoy the show you are going to have to suspend belief on all things related to physics. Just pretend it's an alternate Earth where things don't work quite the same way.

Also it won't hurt to pretend that aliens have introduced stupid pills into the water supply. That would explain a lot.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntspoon View Post
Also it won't hurt to pretend that aliens have introduced stupid pills into the water supply. That would explain a lot.
Ha! I suppose it would. I kept thinking how stupid the militia were. It seemed their mission was to bring one of the brothers back alive (at all costs), and yet they killed the one and came very close several times to killing the other.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
kimsan
underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntspoon View Post
If you're going to enjoy the show you are going to have to suspend belief on all things related to physics. Just pretend it's an alternate Earth where things don't work quite the same way.
That would explain the airplane falling vertically in a flat spin...momentum has also been cancelled out! And here I thought it was just power and whatever else might be convenient to the plot!

That said, I'm kinda intrigued and will give it a few weeks to gel or die.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
justen_m

My explanation is alien invasion. Aliens have seeded the entire planet with undetectable nanobots programmed to do things that appear to mess with physics or chemistry or biology. After earthlings spend a millennium or two devolving technologically and mentally, the aliens will appear and act as gods to the primitive humans, enslaving them, and using them to mine the earth for rare elements.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
BradJW

Really liked the show. The last scene was kinda stupid though.

Gal typing on computer: They were here.
Computer typing back: Did they get it?

The gal should have responded with: "Duh, I'm still typing on the computer. Obviously they didn't get it you fool!"

Other than that, I liked it a lot.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post

The gal should have responded with: "Duh, I'm still typing on the computer. Obviously they didn't get it you fool!"

Other than that, I liked it a lot.

You are making the assumption that they are talking about the device she is using. Since she needed the device to make the PC work, I would think they are talking about something else.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You are making the assumption that they are talking about the device she is using. Since she needed the device to make the PC work, I would think they are talking about something else.
I really doubt it. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I think they were talking about that device and just made a minor screw-up.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
mattack

Is/will it be a free download on Amazon? Will check later.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Aniketos

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. More than whatever the Dinosaur show was from last year.

Anything to get my Giancarlo Esposito fix. And I too think we'll see the mom again at some point, off screen death makes me not trust the death.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #24
Beryl

It was good but it was so Hunger Games-Postman-Terra Nova. Esposito was wickedly delightful but I was disappointed when I didn't see Elizabeth Mitchell in the '15 years later' scenes. She did such a convincing job in 'Running Scared' as a sick-F* pedophile that I like seeing her in good-guy roles.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
It was good but it was so Hunger Games-Postman-Terra Nova.
??? Those three movies have very little in common...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
robojerk

Didn't hate it and will add a SP, but didn't think it was that great either. I think I am too cynical of these shows now after years of flop after flop. (Alcatraz, FF, TN, The Event, Bionic Woman, etc..)
The main character (the girl Charlie) kind of bugged me for some little reasons. Her whole outfit looked like a cheap Katniss Everdeen Halloween costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post

I said nearly the same thing. I hope that she has some other item that they were talking about, or the writers are just jerking our chains to build up the mystery of what the H is going on.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
??? Those three movies have very little in common...
All 3 have Post-apocalyptic communal survivalists, military/militia conflict in common. The young female warrior reminds me of "The Hunger Games".
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
Craigbob

I enjoyed the full episode preview that I saw via DirecTV's VOD. looks like it will keep me interested, though somewhat miffed as well. there were a few issues I hope will be addressed during the series.

The main one that nagged at me was towards the end after the militia left the woman's house and she used the device to power up a pc/modem unit and connect to talk with someone.

My issue is, it did not seem to be at a pre-arranged time, or otherwise scheduled contact, but an ad-hoc one. So my question is, was the other person waiting with their PC on the whole time? I suppose the modem they have could be set to wake up the pc on connect, but seems unlikely.

It even raises another question... how are they connecting via modem? With effect we saw the blackout have on power, telephone switches etc... would be down as well and the modems would not be able to connect.

Ought to be interesting how they explain breaking the laws of physics.

I would have liked to see a bit more about the immediate fall of civilization and the immediate aftermath of the blackout.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Dude in a hatch somewhere on an island.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It was about as dumb as I thought it would be.

Just shows that Favreau needs a good story to do magic, and this ain't it.

I'll another ep or two but I'm likely very resistant to getting hooked. The only character I'd root for is the nerd.

"I have 80 Million in the bank and right now I'd trade it a for a roll of Charmin."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote