TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
drebbe
Carbon Blob

New Netgear router allows attached USB drive to expand TiVo storage

http://www.netgear.com/home/products...R4300.aspx#one

Thought this might be of interest. Hadn't seen this offered in a router before, but I'm new to TiVo so I might be wrong.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I wonder if it is just a visible storage unit for TIvo recordings like it appears to be for other media stuff. In other words, maybe you can just use it to hold your Tivo "Videos" folder instead of having it stored on your PC. Unless it has SW built in (like Tivo Desktop) that somehow allows you to make back and forth transfers like you can with another Tivo or with your PC. I kind of doubt the latter.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
poppagene
User

Earlier thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481538

This feature is also available on the WNDR3800
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, there's no way this can be used to expand your TiVo's available space for recordings (i.e., like the eSATA expanders do). The only thing I can see in the data sheet is the DLNA that might allow you to transfer recordings from the USB hard drive to your TiVo for playback.

This was in the press release, which doesn't help clarify it either:

Quote:
The router also offers expanded TiVoŽ Storage via a connected USB drive for saving your favorite programs and NETGEAR ReadyShare Printer for sharing USB printers on the network.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

The Netgear router USB-attached drives are notoriously slow, so this would likely be more along the lines of storage for archiving or playing shows via DLNA like their ReadyNAS line.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Earlier thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481538

This feature is also available on the WNDR3800
And on the WNDR3700 also with the newest firmware, the TiVo logo is used in the USB drive setup, I turned it on once and the ready share showed up like other TiVos do in the now playing list. I never connected a drive to routers USB port so i never tested out how the system worked.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
nrc
Cracker Soul

This works the same as their TiVo sharing feature for their ReadyNAS units. You can transfer non-copy protected content to and from the shared drive just as you can with another TiVo. If it has the latest version of the feature it will automatically archive shows that are marked "Keep Until I Delete". It's a nice feature but it's of limited use for folks with copy protected channels.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
This works the same as their TiVo sharing feature for their ReadyNAS units. You can transfer non-copy protected content to and from the shared drive just as you can with another TiVo. If it has the latest version of the feature it will automatically archive shows that are marked "Keep Until I Delete". It's a nice feature but it's of limited use for folks with copy protected channels.
It's a nice enough feature if you can't get to a show until after the season but still want to watch it. It would be nice to be able to set some sort of rule to tell it to auto download the episodes as they get on your TiVo in the first place.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
It's a nice enough feature if you can't get to a show until after the season but still want to watch it. It would be nice to be able to set some sort of rule to tell it to auto download the episodes as they get on your TiVo in the first place.
TiVo Desktop has an "AutoTransfer this Series" button that should do what you're talking about.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I may be wrong, but I think I read here at TCF that the readynas software can be set to transfer shows marked KUID. Then you can verify they were transferred and delete them manually from the TiVo. It sounds a bit kludgy, but should get the job done if you are willing do the housekeeping.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
mwysocki

Not Realy a storage expansion

I have this setup on my WNDR3700 and unless you put MPEG-2 or TIVO file on it the DVR will not see them.

It will allow you to off load some shows but to play them back you need to transfer them just as if it was the old days when you would have to transfer shows from one DVR to the other to watch them.
mwysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to just add a DVR Expander to the TiVo itself.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to just add a DVR Expander to the TiVo itself.

Dan
Yeah, but this thing can crash without taking the shows on the TiVo itself with it.

The DVR expander was a great idea, right up to the point where they decided that shows had to scattered across both drives.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
swerver

Has anyone used one of these with pytivo or something like it? It would be nice to be able to add content in non-tivo supported formats (mkv) and still be able to use them on the tivo. I could do this now with a pc, I suppose, but it would be more elegant on a NAS, I think. Don't really wanna custom build a NAS or do WHS either.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

The NAS would need some serious hardware to do the transcoding pyTiVo does. I tried installing something similar to pyTiVo on a NAS years ago and it could only transcode SD Xvid files at about 2fps. Which meant that a 29.97fps 1 hour recording took about 15 hours to transfer. I'm sure NAS hardware has improved some since then but I doubt it's improved enough to do real time transcoding.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
So you mean with ANOTHER computer, right?

Personally, I'd like one of these that worked computer-less.. (or to be honest, was essentially a single-use computer that hopefully was turn-offable and/or VERY low power).

Yes, I like the idea off off-Tivo storage because I've had drives go bad (and heck, the drive AND the Tivo went bad in one case). Virtually all of my stuff is transferrable, so getting it onto ANOTHER drive would be great.. and in fact I do that manually with kmttg to an external drive, but having something that I could just add drives to that would just work would be great..

Those NASes are really expensive though.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
swarto112

virtual machines

anyone used a vm to host a NAS? Ive got a server and have a couple win 7vms on it tht i use for laying around. after reading this string it opped in my head that a NAS maybe useful hosted off a vm.
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
P42

A Tivo is going to know that the "thing" at the other end of the IP session is a VM or a physical piece of hardware.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote