TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

America's Got Talent Season 7 Discussion (Spoilers)

So it is possible that someone can be a more pompous ass than Piers.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
So it is possible that someone can be a more pompous ass than Piers.
And funnier!

I liked Howard but he is definitely playing the "Howard Stern" character for this

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
pmyers

I still question how that Earth Harp can make those noises. It sounded like a violin which requires a bow to go perpendicular to the strings. I'm not sure how you get the same noise by "pulling" down the string.

It did sound amazing though.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
mulscully

Surprised there is not more discussion about this. Howard Stern is very polarizing. I figured there would be a whole love / hate thread.

As for me, I liked it.. I am a Stern fan, however my wife is not and she was not looking forward to it. However, after I asked her what she thought and she said it was great. It was more then she expected...

There was more camaraderie between The judges and a genuine sense that they enjoy being with each other.

Overall, I thought a real improvement. I did like Piers because I thought he called it like he sees it, and it seems like Howard will too.
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
KevinG

I'm only watching this show because of Stern. Long time fan.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I am not a Stern fan at all. I was expecting to hate him on this show, but I actually thought he did a great job. Anyone has to be better than Piers though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im just glad the show is back. Its one of our favorites.

I thought Howard was very condescending to a lot of the contestants. Not only from a "your act sucks" standpoint but also from a "Im Howard Stern and Im better than you" aspect.

Far as the earth harp, I saw the guy put rosin on his hands before he started pulling on those strings so I have to assume whatever those gloves were made out of simulated a bow. That was pretty cool and one of the more interesting acts.

Glad to see Simply Segio get a second chance. I almost feel like that whole thing was a setup.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

I think Howard will be great and the more he's himself, and not what people expect him to be, the better he'll be. Howard lately has seemed to become more of a character of himself whenever he was on network TV (Letterman, Fallon etc.) where he thinks he needs to be over the top. He's an amazing talent and just needs to be comfortable and then everyone will see him for the great communicator / entertainer that he is.

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
Paperboy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I thought Howard was very condescending to a lot of the contestants. Not only from a "your act sucks" standpoint but also from a "Im Howard Stern and Im better than you" aspect.
I didn't see that at all. I have to agree with mwhip, this was much funnier than the past seasons I've watched.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 05-15-2012 at 10:58 AM.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm a big fan of Howard's radio show. I did not watch last night and I doubt I will ever watch it. I don't care for reality shows and that goes triple for talent shows. Maybe if the show was an hour a week. The way it sounds, the show is on like 3-4 hours a week.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulscully View Post
...There was more camaraderie between The judges and a genuine sense that they enjoy being with each other...
I agree. I think it helps that both of them have been on his show multiple times and there is already a rapport there and they genuinly seem to like each other.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
inaka

I'm a big fan for Howard Stern, but the AGT episode last night? Meh.

The only funny part I find was watching Howie and Howard have to shake hands (or fist pump in Howie's case) since they're both neurotic about touching people.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
mwhip
All better

OK one issue I have is that the show is called AGT and the act of the little girl and her dad signing are from Columbia. Like the judges pointed out they are a popular YouTube act. Also another contestant they pointed out came from another country to be on the show.

I am not trying to start an immigration debate but seriously if you are going to call it AGT don't let acts come in from other countries.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
I'm a big fan for Howard Stern, but the AGT episode last night? Meh.

The only funny part I find was watching Howie and Howard have to shake hands (or fist pump in Howie's case) since they're both neurotic about touching people.
I know Howie is, but is Howard? If so, why the hell would he hug that one contestant the way he did?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
OK one issue I have is that the show is called AGT and the act of the little girl and her dad signing are from Columbia. Like the judges pointed out they are a popular YouTube act. Also another contestant they pointed out came from another country to be on the show.

I am not trying to start an immigration debate but seriously if you are going to call it AGT don't let acts come in from other countries.
Where did you get that they are from Columbia? They live in San Diego. He went to UCSD.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
pmyers

Quote:

Do you know if they live in the US now?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Where did you get that they are from Columbia? They live in San Diego. He went to UCSD.
OK my bad I was getting them confused with this guy:

BxQSEvHdyjQ

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I know Howie is, but is Howard? If so, why the hell would he hug that one contestant the way he did?
Howard is a germ freak, but not nearly as bad as Howie. On this morning's radio show, they talked about Howard hugging some gross guy. Howard claimed he hosed down with anti-bacterial stuff immediately after.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
bruinfan

count me as 'loved it'.

i watched the first season of AGT... and bits of other seasons... this was engaging.

i think while the judges shouldn't be the focus, they are providing the commentary, and as a result, the side entertainment. watching american idol since season 2, simon drove that show. when he left, the judges were/are unwatchable, and as a result the show is less fun to watch, despite whatever talent is on the stage. when jimmy iovine pipes in, it's really interesting and i watch it. anything other than jimmy gets fast forwarded. the judges help drive the show.

howard is engaging, witty, and so far, spot on. he is going to make AGT a bigger phenomenon than it already is, and he's going to crossover to mainstream as a celebrity.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Got to hear how Howard takes the ratings news tomorrow, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth covering himself if the ratings were lower, but how low?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/15/am...-howard-stern/

Quote:
Monday’s two-hour Got Talent returned to 10.3 million viewers and a 3.6 rating, down 16 percent from last year. EW’s Ken Tucker suggested Stern’s performance was almost too nice.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

He was not happy yesterday when he found out the show was up against Dancing with the Stars. I think he felt they should have waited to start the show until after DwtS ended.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
super dave
Upgrade Willy

But I can only imagine NBC felt confident releasing the show 2 weeks early during sweeps because they had the Howard Stern juggernaut on the payroll.

But Howard has shot his wad with his 6 months of AGT commercials on his radio show. He's brought everything to the table he's going to do in reference to his fan base and notoriety.

The suits at NBC have to be very disappointed.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
But I can only imagine NBC felt confident releasing the show 2 weeks early during sweeps because they had the Howard Stern juggernaut on the payroll.

But Howard has shot his wad with his 6 months of AGT commercials on his radio show. He's brought everything to the table he's going to do in reference to his fan base and notoriety.

Quote:
Before everybody points fingers at Stern, however, here’s a big mitigating factor: Last year Got Talent premiered at the very end of May and was paired with The Voice. This year, Got Talent faced a full boat of competition from rival networks, so the talent competition might have returned lower in the ratings due to the scheduling change. NBC points out last night’s rating matches Got Talent‘s performance two years ago.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im sure once a few of the other shows wrap up, AGT's rating will go back up. I liked it.. Im glad its back. I like Howard Stern.. I just thought he was a little overbearing but I guess when you're replacing Piers Morgan, thats to be expected.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Im sure once a few of the other shows wrap up, AGT's rating will go back up.
I don't know if they will go up, but this is the same number AGT pulled last year in it's second week. Add in that this year was going against season finales for many shows and DWTS vs. all repeats and basketball last year.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
markymark_ctown

Quote:

...and Howard is the only American judge

USA! USA! USA!

markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post

Howard or maybe Jon Hein did say they moved the show because they had confidence. Howard was still annoyed because he was hoping it would start after the other shows were done.

Howard said just today he didn't expect the ratings to be amazing. That it will take word of mouth from people that Howard isn't as bad as everyone thinks he is. If the ratings are still lower in a couple months, then the NBC folks should start to worry.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I am pretty sure the audition contract everybody has to sign says that you need to be either a citizen or have a green card. It is possible that they might let contestants on the show without either, but with a work visa (I know So You Think You Can Dance, which promotes its winner as "America's Favorite Dancer," does, and I think American Idol does as well).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
DeDondeEs

I liked the show with Howard. Haven't watched much of it before. But is this how the preliminary judging goes, they either have a total goof out there that they all unanimously hate, or something phenomenal which they all love? I would like to see more debating between the judges.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

They go around the country to initially see acts and then send them on to Las Vegas. 140 acts go to Vegas and while there, they narrow it down to 48. According to Howard, Vegas was very hard and there was a lot of debate on what 48 acts to send to New York for the live shows.