TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
audio_inside

Question Premier functional without subscription?

I've always had a Series 2 w/Lifetime, and so i have no experience with Tivo units that are not currently subscribed with a service agreement.

My question: what functions if any will a Premiere perform without an active service subscription?

I know that I won't be getting Tivo software updates or anything connected with programmed recordings or channel guides.

But, for example, will NetFlix streaming or Amazon VOD still work? Can I transfer files over my home network for playback? Will Cablecard tuning/viewing still work? Can I schedule recordings manually?

If any of these examples are the case then the current $99 offering could make the Premiere a useful alternative to Roku, Boxee or AppleTV even without Tivo service.
audio_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post
I've always had a Series 2 w/Lifetime, and so i have no experience with Tivo units that are not currently subscribed with a service agreement.

My question: what functions if any will a Premiere perform without an active service subscription?

I know that I won't be getting Tivo software updates or anything connected with programmed recordings or channel guides.

But, for example, will NetFlix streaming or Amazon VOD still work? Can I transfer files over my home network for playback? Will Cablecard tuning/viewing still work? Can I schedule recordings manually?

If any of these examples are the case then the current $99 offering could make the Premiere a useful alternative to Roku, Boxee or AppleTV even without Tivo service.
From the TiVo Service Agreement:

Quote:
7.Your TiVo DVR Won't Work Without the TiVo Service! A subscription to the TiVo service is required in order for your TiVo DVR to have any functionality. No functionality is represented or should be expected from the TiVo DVR without a paid subscription to the TiVo service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
ewilts
Who, me?

In short, it's a brick. If you want low-cost Netflix or Amazon VoD streaming, get a Roku box - they work better than a TiVo anyway.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
audio_inside

One reason I was curious is because I noticed that my Series 2 doesn't lose functionality when it loses its network connection. So its Lifetime authorization is embedded in the box and doesn't rely on "phoning home" to the Tivo mothership to stay functional.

I presume then that a Tivo subscribed to a time-based service plan has some sort of time-out period where it finally becomes bricked if it can't re-connect to a license server - anyone know how long that is? (Eg, I've seen references to some sort of 7-day grace period when you first buy the box.)
audio_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post
One reason I was curious is because I noticed that my Series 2 doesn't lose functionality when it loses its network connection. So its Lifetime authorization is embedded in the box and doesn't rely on "phoning home" to the Tivo mothership to stay functional.

I presume then that a Tivo subscribed to a time-based service plan has some sort of time-out period where it finally becomes bricked if it can't re-connect to a license server - anyone know how long that is? (Eg, I've seen references to some sort of 7-day grace period when you first buy the box.)
I don't think it matters if it is a LifeTime or time-based subscription. It will maintain its service *for a while* without connecting to the TiVo "mothership". If it remains out of contact long enough, it will become a temporary brick until it is connected to the "mothership" once again. I believe that duration is 30 days.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

What the Tivo does when it makes a Tivo connection, it checks on its subscription status (and updates the Tivo) then downloads whatever info is needed. So if your subscription expired and the Tivo has not made a connection (prior to expiration), it (believes) its still subscribed. When connection was made (on expired), it shuts down the functionality.

With no subscription, all the Tivo will do is play the already recorded shows and lets you watch live TV with 1/2 hr buffer/RW/FF/Pause. Can't record, have guide data, transfer abilities, or even Video On Demand off Tivo.

I think that's how it goes.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 11-16-2010 at 08:23 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I don't think it matters if it is a LifeTime or time-based subscription. It will maintain its service *for a while* without connecting to the TiVo "mothership". If it remains out of contact long enough, it will become a temporary brick until it is connected to the "mothership" once again. I believe that duration is 30 days.
You are correct about 30 days the unit becomes a brick even if it does have service, the TiVo must call in at least every 30 days to keep its service going.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
bgalvan53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
With no subscription, all the Tivo will do is play the already recorded shows and lets you watch live TV with 1/2 hr buffer/RW/FF/Pause. Can't record, have guide data, transfer abilities, or even Video On Demand off Tivo.

I think that's how it goes.
That's exactly right.
I've just finished my 7-day period and not activated (nor will) a TiVo Premiere I've got from Amazon.
I Live in Mexico so the channel guide is useless here.

I also have a Series 2 which was activated and before the subscription run out I disconected it from the network. After the guide data run out (30 days), I still had the chance of setting manual recordings and time shift live tv.

In the Series 4, however, after the 7-day period run out I only have the half hour buffer. No manual recording this time, maybe because never have been activated. Anyway this is fine with me, I just wanted the time shifting ability with HD OTA channels, manual recording would've been fine but I can live without it, I usually watch daily news and I love the ability to skip commercials.

Ben

Last edited by bgalvan53 : 12-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
bgalvan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
srk0629

bgalvan53,

Do you still get program guide for OTA programming?

The way I understand - data for Electronic Program Guide(EPG) is transmitted from an OTA channel like PBS; ATSC tuner downloads this data and shows it as EPG for OTA channels.

TiVo premiere without subscription - will it function as standalone ATSC tuner and show EPG?

The fact TiVo premiere will have "trickplay" functionalities will be an added bonus on an ATSC tuner with HDMI out (if it functions like regular ATSC tuner). Thanks
srk0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk0629 View Post
bgalvan53,

Do you still get program guide for OTA programming?

The way I understand - data for Electronic Program Guide(EPG) is transmitted from an OTA channel like PBS; ATSC tuner downloads this data and shows it as EPG for OTA channels.

TiVo premiere without subscription - will it function as standalone ATSC tuner and show EPG?

The fact TiVo premiere will have "trickplay" functionalities will be an added bonus on an ATSC tuner with HDMI out (if it functions like regular ATSC tuner). Thanks
No, not even program guides because it does not get its info from EPG off broadcasts. All you will be able to do is the trick-play on LIVE TV without the ability to record, without subscription.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
srk0629

Thanks for the clarification.

I was trying to cut the cord and feed OTA channels into a Google TV Blu-ray driven setup. Without EPG, integration of OTA TV channels with Internet is not going to work. I may have to go to a standalone ATSC tuner....other OTA DVRs are expensive....bummer!
srk0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
itzcaroll

So I got a new tivo premiere box and so far I can record, watch over the air tv, and see the tv listing for all the OTA channels. I can do all this without a subscription.

I am not quite sure what to make of this...

Any ideas?

I got my box independently from ebay so I am thinking this is the only way possible of bypassing the subscription requirement with tivo.com and amazon.
itzcaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #13
JimboG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzcaroll View Post
So I got a new tivo premiere box and so far I can record, watch over the air tv, and see the tv listing for all the OTA channels. I can do all this without a subscription.

Any ideas?

I got my box independently from ebay so I am thinking this is the only way possible of bypassing the subscription requirement with tivo.com and amazon.
Don't be surprised if your Tivo turns into a brick in 30 days or less without a subscription.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
lessd

Quote:

Any ideas?

You get 7 free days on any new TiVo, the system info screen will show you how long you have left. The E-Bay person also may have shipped you the wrong TiVo as it may have had Lifetime on it.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You get 7 free days on any new TiVo, the system info screen will show you how long you have left. The E-Bay person also may have shipped you the wrong TiVo as it may have had Lifetime on it.
It could also still be on the old users account until the new user switches it to theirs.

This was the case on the TiVos I had on monthly that I sold. Until the new owner transferred it to their account, they could use everything normally under my account.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It could also still be on the old users account until the new user switches it to theirs.

This was the case on the TiVos I had on monthly that I sold. Until the new owner transferred it to their account, they could use everything normally under my account.
I guess when someone (like the OP) tell you they got a NEW TiVo it could be new to them as opposed to a new in the box TiVo.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Pelee

Does anyone know if you sign on to a one year subscription and decide a few months later you want to upgrade to the lifetime, that TiVo will let you upgrade and credit you for what you have spent so far on the one year subscription?
Pelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelee View Post
Does anyone know if you sign on to a one year subscription and decide a few months later you want to upgrade to the lifetime, that TiVo will let you upgrade and credit you for what you have spent so far on the one year subscription?
That's not the subject of this thread.

You should post your own thread-opener, or find a thread that addresses this subject.

This thread asks about Premier model TiVos working without subscription.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:

Any ideas?

What does it say on the 'system information' page of your Tivo as far as the account status?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
apietivo

my tivo hd works with no subscription

i also bought a tivo from ebay -- it was new/never used (packages were sealed). it was already activated when it came to me. the ebay ad said nothing about lifetime service, so i fully anticipated having to pay for service... but it works... for 2 week so far.... i'm afraid to call the tivo people to have it added to my account, cuz then they might want some money. in the system info it says the status is 11: evaluation. does anyone know how long i will get free service?
thanks!
apietivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think TiVos come with a 2-3 week grace period when new, so you may just be in that. Check the system information screen, what does it say next to account status?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
mattack

He already answered that question..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

I missed that. 11 Evaluation is usually the status they give to beta units that belong to TiVo. Although back in the old days they also used that one for units with free lifetime that were given away in contests or as gifts. However I thought they added a special code for that a while back so they could tell the difference. But maybe not. Perhaps the reason it was unused is because whoever sold it won it in a contest and didn't realize what they even had.

In any case unless TiVo somehow figures out that status is invalid for your unit, which I doubt, it's essentially got lifetime service.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
apietivo

"In any case unless TiVo somehow figures out that status is invalid for your unit, which I doubt, it's essentially got lifetime service.

Dan"

Woohoo! That is certainly what I'm hoping for!
apietivo is offline   Reply With Quote