Drama
Musicals
Action adventure
Spy

Check the lists and winners at http://www.AFI.com
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Yeah, I was wondering where "The Shawshank Redemption" was going to place (thinking it would come out #1 in the drama category.) I'm still confused as to why there was no drama category.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
MikeMar
Go Pats

couldn't you just lump in Sci-Fi with fantasy and make courtroom drama part of drama? and toss in epic in drama too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Think they didn't include Comedy and Musicals since they have done specials on those already

Comedy was 100 years 100 laughs?? or something like that
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I only watched the Sports part. I just happened to turn it on at that point. I certainly didn't agree with all of the choices.
I would have definately picked The Natural over Jerry Macguire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
danielhart
Nerp Nerp

Can't believe The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly didn't crack the top ten westerns.

And The Matrix didn't make it for Sci Fi??? But Blade Runner made it (I wonder which of the seemingly endless number of cuts of that WAY overrated film they think was better than The Matrix?)
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
hanumang
Invisible Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
Can't believe The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly didn't crack the top ten westerns.

And The Matrix didn't make it for Sci Fi??? But Blade Runner made it (I wonder which of the seemingly endless number of cuts of that WAY overrated film they think was better than The Matrix?)
Not that I disagree with you on principle, but I'm pretty sure that The Good, The Bad and The Ugly doesn't qualify since it's an Italian-produced and (at least initially) released film.

Agreed about Blade Runner. Nothing defines overrated to me more than that flick.

I understand that lists like this are meant to stir debate but I'm not sure they're meant to cement all the participants as idiots, since that's the only conclusion that comes to mind. The categories are nonsensical, in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I thought the list was pretty good, although I don't agree with some of the Westerns. Minor nit pick I guess. They got it right (IMO) on the top Western, Sci Fi, and Mystery. Great inclusion of The Verdict, one of my favorite movies.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
jashov

So, I am guessing that Disney sponsored the animation part of it?

No Spirited Away, flawed.
jashov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
hanumang
Invisible Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashov View Post
No Spirited Away, flawed.
Not an American film though.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:

Whereas I like BR much more then The Matrix, I fell asleep the first time I watched The Matrix. The sequels just made things worse.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
What a strange list, so many genre's left out. The included genre's are:
Look out, here comes an S!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Dnamertz

Wow, there were problems with a couple of these lists.

Where was The Princess Bride in fantasy? I like Big and Groundhog Day...but better than The Princess Bride? No.

The Sci-Fi list was completely screwed up. A Clockwork Orange??? What? Where was Empire Strikes Back (I know they didn't have a problem putting multiple movies from a trilogy on one list...they had The Godfather 1 and 2)? Where was Aliens? And not only should 2001 not be #1, it shouldn't be on the list. Talk about a movie where 90% of it was pointless.

What is a Top 10 Epic list without Braveheart? Best picture, Best director, and a great movie. I know the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan were great but the casting bothered me. Braveheart should be on this list ahead of Private Ryan and Reds.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
anom
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnamertz View Post
Wow, there were problems with a couple of these lists.

Where was The Princess Bride in fantasy? I like Big and Groundhog Day...but better than The Princess Bride? No.
Groundhog Day is absolutely better than The Princess Bride. I'm not sure I'd lump it into the fantasy category, though.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
The Sci-Fi list was completely screwed up. A Clockwork Orange??? What? Where was Empire Strikes Back (I know they didn't have a problem putting multiple movies from a trilogy on one list...they had The Godfather 1 and 2)? Where was Aliens? And not only should 2001 not be #1, it shouldn't be on the list. Talk about a movie where 90% of it was pointless.
Wow, that pretty much sums up the exact opposite of my opinion.

Quote:
What is a Top 10 Epic list without Braveheart? Best picture, Best director, and a great movie. I know the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan were great but the casting bothered me. Braveheart should be on this list ahead of Private Ryan and Reds.
So you're apparently ok with Titanic on the list somehow?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom View Post
Groundhog Day is absolutely better than The Princess Bride.
In your opinion...because if we turned this argument into "absolutes" then it would go on forever because I think Princess Bride is absolutely better.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Wow, that pretty much sums up the exact opposite of my opinion.
Which part?

Quote:
Not sure. I'd put Braveheart ahead of Titanic, but I expected Titanic to be on the list. Titanic was one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen but I can see how some parts of the movie bothered people.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Which part?
Every part of your Sci-Fi rant. Don't think Empire belongs there, or Aliens. I think 2001 deserves the top spot, Clockwork Orange deserves a spot, and only think about 1% of 2001 was pointless, that being the really crapulent CGI scene that could have been done with LOGO.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
Craigbob

Quote:
Every part of your Sci-Fi rant. Don't think Empire belongs there, or Aliens. I think 2001 deserves the top spot, Clockwork Orange deserves a spot, and only think about 1% of 2001 was pointless, that being the really crapulent CGI scene that could have been done with LOGO.
Errr what CGI scene in 2001? AFAIK Kubrick never used CGI in 2001 because no such animal existed back in the late 60s.

Craigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
I know you weren't responding to me, but I think Titanic is the best example of a combined action movie/chick flick that has happened yet. I'm not saying I really have any need to see the movie again, but it was entertaining once.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #21
Dnamertz

Quote:
Most people I've ever heard rank the Star Wars movie put Empire at #1...although I can see them putting the original movie ahead of it for its social impact. Aliens is also a flawless sci-fi movie. Clockwork Orange was more wierd than anything else.

In 2001, the monkey scene alone was MUCH more than 1% of the movie. If I wanted to see 20 minutes of monkeys hanging out, I'd go to the zoo. The only movie I've seen with more pointless endless scenes was Gerry...endless scenes of Matt Damon and Casey Affleck walking, and walking, and walking...what the heck? (have they stopped walking yet?)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I have barely seen any of these movies.

For sports I was surprised at the inclusion of National Velvet. I think if they wanted to pick a horse racing movie, The Black Stallion is a much better film.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
anom
Enlightened

Quote:
In your opinion...
I'm sorry, I thought this discussion was about our opinions.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
anom
Enlightened

Quote:
Most people I've ever heard rank the Star Wars movie put Empire at #1...although I can see them putting the original movie ahead of it for its social impact.
Most fans rank Empire higher. I think general moviegoers see the original as the best one, as is the case with most film franchises.

Quote:
Aliens is also a flawless sci-fi movie.
It's very good. I prefer the original, but the two are so different it's almost pointless to compare them, which is weird since one is a sequel to the other.

In a way, they're each representative of their eras. Alien is low-key, thoughtful, and very atmospheric, like many films of the seventies. Aliens is pure eighties: over the top, action-packed (cleverly so, at times), and filled with broadly drawn, colorful characters. While the screenplay still cares about the psychology of the (major) characters, it feels awfully ham-handed (enough with the maternal themes, we get it already).

While Alien was more of a sci-fi answer to Hitchcock and DePalma, Aliens probably broke more new ground, and was certainly a more influential move.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
Errr what CGI scene in 2001? AFAIK Kubrick never used CGI in 2001 because no such animal existed back in the late 60s.
OK, so it was slit scan. It still looked like crap and could have been done with LOGO.

Quote:
Most people I've ever heard rank the Star Wars movie put Empire at #1...although I can see them putting the original movie ahead of it for its social impact.
And because it's a better movie.

Quote:
Aliens is also a flawless sci-fi movie. Clockwork Orange was more wierd than anything else.
It was meant to come off a little weird. It was true science fiction, however, unlike Aliens, which was good, but nothing more than action horror with little science or sociological meaning. A Clockwork Orange, on the other hand, offered quite a bit of analysis on morality, psychology, and violence. It was based on a novel that Time called one of the 100 greatest English Language works since the 20's.

Quote:
In 2001, the monkey scene alone was MUCH more than 1% of the movie. If I wanted to see 20 minutes of monkeys hanging out, I'd go to the zoo. The only movie I've seen with more pointless endless scenes was Gerry...endless scenes of Matt Damon and Casey Affleck walking, and walking, and walking...what the heck? (have they stopped walking yet?)
Those scenes weren't pointless. That portion of the movie demonstrated an evolutionary plateau and then showed how the obelisk led to an enormous leap in "evolution" immediately. It was a fundamentally important part of the plot.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #26
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom View Post
Most fans rank Empire higher. I think general moviegoers see the original as the best one, as is the case with most film franchises.
True, sequels are automatically thought of as less superior than the originals even before they are released.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #27
Dnamertz

Quote:
And because it's a better movie.
Not true.

Quote:
Those scenes weren't pointless. That portion of the movie demonstrated an evolutionary plateau and then showed how the obelisk led to an enormous leap in "evolution" immediately. It was a fundamentally important part of the plot.
May have had relevance, but not interesting to watch.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
I just watched this last night, and really enjoyed it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote