TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
ScaryMike

Premiere XL4: One channel will not tune in. only one. Please advise.

I have 2 tivos. 1 TiVo Premiere XL4, and 1 Tivo HD. Channel 607 will NOT tune in on my XL4. All other channels come in fine. It WILL tune in on my TiVo HD.
I use a SDV on both TiVos (same model on each). I have Charter as my cable provider.

I will try to provide as much info as possible.

Channel 607 is basically my local ABC in HD.
Error message when changing to 607, i get:
"Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying Again" (it never comes in, no matter how long I wait.
Signal strength: 92 (this is similar or the same as nearest channels in both directions that do tune in).

---
NON working channel:
Tuner 3:
Channel: 607
Frequency: 573000 KHz
Modulation: QAM 256
Program Number: 1
Signal Source: Cable
Connector Type: RF 2
Channel Bits: 2250778
Cable Card Association: CableCARD 1
Signal Strength: 92
Signal Lock: Yes
Program Lock: No
Search complete: No
SNR: 37db
RS Uncorrected: 0
RS Corrected: 0
RC State: Available
Current Tuning Status: Tuned: Success
Tune state: In Progress
Last used channel plan: Undefined
CCI Byte: 0x00
Time since Tune Start: 47 seconds
Time since Signal Lock: 47 seconds
PRC PID: -
Video PID: -
Available Audio PIDs: (blank)
Last Selected Audio PID: -
Resolution Status: Success
Resolution Time: 12/23/2012 15:16:42
TA/SDV Time: -
TA SDV message: -
Pending Tune Status: No Tune Pending
---

Working Channel for comparison:
Tuner: 2
Channel: 615
Frequency: 567000 KHz
Modulation: QAM 256
Program Number: 1
Signal Source: Cable
Connector Type: RF 2
Channel Bits: 2250778
Cable Card Association: CableCARD 1
Signal Strength: 94
Signal Lock: Yes
Program Lock: Yes
Search complete: Yes
SNR: 37db
RS Uncorrected: 0
RS Corrected: 0
RC State: Available
Current Tuning Status: Tuned: Success
Tune state: In Progress
Last used channel plan: Undefined
CCI Byte: 0x00
Time since Tune Start: 133 seconds
Time since Signal Lock: 133 seconds
PRC PID: 0x3E9
Video PID: 0X3E9 (MPEG2)
Available Audio PIDs: 0x3Ea (AC3)
Last Selected Audio PID: -
Resolution Status: Success
Resolution Time: 12/23/2012 15:15:?? (picture cut off)
TA/SDV Time: -
TA SDV message: -
Pending Tune Status: No Tune Pending
---

Things I have tried:
1. Rebooting (many times)
2. Reseating cableCARD
3. hooking coax directly to tivo (bypassing the splitters)
4. rebooting SDV box (Many times)

Remember, the channel does come in on my TivoHD (which is in a different room however).

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. Happy holidays!

-Mike

Edit: Forgot to mention, it used to come in fine. Then one day, it stopped. Its been not working for over a month.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
ScaryMike

Post holiday bump. Anyone have ideas or experience something similar?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
lipper1123

Channel 607 not working

Hello,
I am having the same problem with our Premiere XL4. We are on Charter in Madison WI.

I had an online chat with Charter this evening but they were not able to do anything. They said it would require a visit to our house to resolve.
Mark
lipper1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
ScaryMike

Is it the same channel? I'm also in Madison on charter.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
lipper1123

Yup, same channel (607 - ABC). I also emailed someone else that I know who has a Premiere XL4 in Madison on Charter and they said they do not get that channel either.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
lipper1123

Just did an online chat with Charter and they said it appears to be a problem on their end. It helped to let them know that there were multiple people experiencing the issue. They said they would look to resolve it.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
gamo62

I had an similar issue with a different cable company, and it was an authentication issue on their end. The channel was incorrectly assigned to a different tier.

Also had an issue with a few channels being H.264 instead of MPEG2. On my PXL, it would not decode H.264. I have heard that has since been remedied with a software update.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
ScaryMike

Thank for the updates. Its nice to know I'm not the only one.

I'll probably contact charter soon as well, if its not fixed soon.

It used to come in fine, and like I mentioned, it comes in fine on my TivoHD.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
demogr

Me too

No solution, but I can confirm the same problem
(See my separate thread starting [MadisonWI]...

I also called Charter about this problem, but they did not acknowledge any problem on their end.
demogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a channel here which is the local CW affiliate and in the 200 range. Even though it's listed as HD, and in the digital tier, it's actually an analog station. Which means I can tune it on my 2 tuner Premiere just fine but not on my Elite. (Elite/XL4 units can't record analog) Any chance that's what's going on there? ScaryMike, when you tune the channel on your TiVo HD does it look like it's HD? Or is it 4:3?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
demogr

I'm wondering if the problem is with the signal directly from WKOW, or because of something that Charter is doing. Do any of you with problems have an OTA antenna hooked up to your Tivo? If so, can you get the over-the-air WKOW channels (27.1, 27.2, 27.3) to tune in?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
ScaryMike

Dan, unfortunately, the TivoHD is hooked up to a NON HD tv, but it was always HD in the past. Is there anyway to tell if its an HD signal when showing on a non hd tv? (it IS widescreen, not 4x3, so maybe thats enough?)

EDIT: actually, its for sure recording HD, as I have been transferring ABC shows from my TivoHD to watch on my XL4 as a workaround, and they are full HD (720p I think)

demogr, I don't have an OTA antenna.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
ScaryMike

As Demogr pointed out in the other thread, its actually ALL WKOW channels that won't tune in on the XL4.

607 (WKOWDT),
967 (WKOWDT2),
966 (WKOWDT3)

I just verified. I had no idea those channels even existed, but sure enough, same problem.

All 3 tune in fine on the TivoHD.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
mclii

I dropped my TiVo service because of this issue. I had a Premier 4 that had these same issues. TiVo essentially blamed Charter, Charter essentially blamed TiVo.

I spent many of my hours at the beginning of December with several different service reps from TiVo and Charter, on the phone, online chats, going to the local Charter office to change out CableCards and Tuning Adapters, had techs come out, etc. Very frustrating that no one seemed to "own" the problem, and that no one could fix the problem. I love TiVo DVRs, but I got to a certain point, and realized that it wasn't worth wasting any more time with worrying about or troubleshooting this. I tried to switch to DirecTV as a result of this, but unfortunately, I don't have line of sight to their satellites on our property. So, back to Charter's DVR, which I don't find very intuitive.

Regardless of my sob story above, I'm curious as to what the actual problem is with these channels and TiVo Premiere 4's. Hopefully someone can chime in on this thread, if/when it gets resolved (who knows when that'll be? It's been this long...).

ScaryMike, since your TiVoHD unit seems to be working just fine, I'm going to assume it's a TiVo issue, not a Charter issue. All I can think of is, are there drivers for a CableCard? Are there USB drivers for Tuning Adapters? Perhaps a TiVo update introduced code that created a bug with the M-Cards or Tuning Adapters? I noticed we lost these channels around the same time a TiVo update happened--but I can't be for certain.
mclii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
demogr

FYI, I have started up a thread on this problem on the Tivo Forums, and gotten the attention of one of the Tivo staff. If anyone else wants to chime in.

This forum won't let me post the link, but go to forums-dot-tivo-com and
in the Using the Tivo Service category look for the thread
"[MadisonWI] missing channel (signal lock=yes, program lock=no)"
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
mclii

Thanks demogr, I saw your post on that forum doing some of my searches. I picked this thread to post to because it seemed the most active. If you hear anything from TiVo and you remember about this thread, please post to it.

I hope that the fix comes quickly for you guys. Everyone that I dealt with from TiVo and Charter were extremely nice, though, not all that helpful. They constantly pointed the finger at one another, which was incredibly frustrating.

Also, when a Charter tech came out to our place in the second week of December, he said he had been on 5 calls that day all having to do with TiVo's and these three channels not tuning. No one had any fix for it, so there was nothing to troubleshoot. I could tell the tech felt bad about it because he had no answers for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
luv4ireland2

Hey, I have had this same issue since the 2nd week of December. I called Charter 3 times. They were going to send out a service guy tomorrow. I miss ABC and had to set up an antenna to receive the HD programing or settle for watching SD Programing. I just received a call from Charter an hour ago saying that TiVo has fixed this issue. I am unable to go home and confirm. Can anyone confirm so I can cancel this appointment?
luv4ireland2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
demogr

Yes! Just got home and all channels are now working again. TiVo software version still the same so not sure if TiVo changed it or if Charter changed something in their signal, but it does appear to be fixed!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
lipper1123

Working for me as well!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
mclii

So happy this is fixed for you guys!

Still very curious as to what the problem was, and what the explanation is.

[EDIT] Also, I think, but am not for certain, TiVo can push software to TiVo boxes without having to "update the system". So, if I'm right on that, you could have received an incremental update, without a rev number change to the TiVo system.

Last edited by mclii : 01-04-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
luv4ireland2

Thanks everyone. Working for me as well and I was able to cancel the appointment. Very happy to have ABC back.
luv4ireland2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
As Demogr pointed out in the other thread, its actually ALL WKOW channels that won't tune in on the XL4.

607 (WKOWDT),
967 (WKOWDT2),
966 (WKOWDT3)

I just verified. I had no idea those channels even existed, but sure enough, same problem.

All 3 tune in fine on the TivoHD.
As of last night, suddenly all 3 of these are tuning in fine for me as well.