TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
bmgoodman

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the rumored Tivo Series 5 platform is very different from current and will dump Java, orphaning the Premiere units to software upgrades. So I hope you like the Premieres you have....
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the rumored Tivo Series 5 platform is very different from current and will dump Java, orphaning the Premiere units to software upgrades. So I hope you like the Premieres you have....
No different than previous versions. I'll just sell my S4 boxes to cover most of the cost of lifetime S5 boxes. Just like I did when I sold my S3 boxes to cover most of the cost of my lifetime S4 boxes.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #33
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
So I hope you like the Premieres you have....
I do! And I love the two S3s I still have running.

All these TiVos still record TV shows. Love it!
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No different than previous versions. I'll just sell my S4 boxes to cover most of the cost of lifetime S5 boxes. Just like I did when I sold my S3 boxes to cover most of the cost of my lifetime S4 boxes.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
I'm still thrilled with my S3 and Tivo HD. They're pretty bullet-proof, even if the Netflix is crappy. I understand the Premieres still have reboot issues. And a 10-minute boot time means chunks of missed recordings. No, thanks. But I'm glad you enjoy yours. I'm sure can't ALL have the reboot issue.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'm still thrilled with my S3 and Tivo HD. They're pretty bullet-proof, even if the Netflix is crappy. I understand the Premieres still have reboot issues. And a 10-minute boot time means chunks of missed recordings. No, thanks. But I'm glad you enjoy yours. I'm sure can't ALL have the reboot issue.
If I were missing shows because of reboots I certainly would be pissed. But fortunately I'm not having issues with reboots.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
No Slow Downs here and the HDUI is plenty fast
To me, there is almost nothing "fast" about the HDUI. After several updates, it is quite "usable", however.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
They are not using Java, they are using Flash/Air.

I seriously doubt the Series 5 will be different AT ALL from a software standpoint. It will probably be very similar to the Series 4 hardware, just with an integrated Stream and (probably/hopefully) a MUCH faster CPU and probably more RAM, possibly gigabit, and a few other do-dads.

I also doubt they will orphan the Series 4. Those are just my predictions.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #38
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The bottom line is the hardware is just not good enough to run the HDUI without feeling sluggish
That is only part of the bottom line.

The rest of the bottom line is that the HDUI is so dependent on a live connection to TiVo's servers for uncached, live information, it can never really be fast, regardless of the hardware thrown at it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #39
mikengrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
I am getting more and more frustrated every time I see my Premiere start up from standby frozen. Every few weeks I try to turn it on and the screen is black except for a window in the upper right paused on whatever I was watching when I put it on standby the night before. Nothing on the remote works - the yellow light on the unit flashes so it is getting there, but it is ignored. This seems to be separate from the "frozen remote" symptoms which fortunately I haven't seen this spring, but is even more frustrating because the only cure is to pull the power cord. Then you have to wait several minutes for it boot, and then endure terribly slow menus for a while until it finally starts working properly.

This bug has been present since I bought this two years ago. Seriously, does Tivo not give a damn about quality? My Series 2 was trouble free for 7 or 8 years until it finally bit the dust, and one would think a Series 4 is an upgrade. The two tuners and HD is certainly an upgrade, but the UI has gone downhill. If Tivo ever wishes to have a chance of getting people like me to invest in another one in the future this crap needs to be fixed before they waste time adding useless features like new UIs for Youtube, Amazon and Netflix. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the glaring bugs and issues in the basic functionality before you spend more time on the extras! No one buys Tivo because the Netflix UI is cool, but people will stop buying it if even waking it up from standby is a crapshoot!!
My premiere does the same thing. The live tv screen is always stuck on pause and tv goes black and remote becomes useless .have to unplug unit and restart..that is such a slow reboot time.
I wish TiVo would get rid of all the useless stuff on HD display screen. I end up keeping screen on standard ,not the HD one
mikengrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #40
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I'm still thrilled with my S3 and Tivo HD. They're pretty bullet-proof, even if the Netflix is crappy.
The Netflix on my Premiere Elite will crash the whole box about 25% of the time I try to use it. I've still got a TiVo HD connected to the same TV in order to use Netflix reliably.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'd take that bet. TiVo has invested a LOT of resourcesninto the HDUI and they are still actively working on it. There is no way they are going to throw out everything they've done and start over again. The next unit will likely have a faster CPU so that it runs better, but it will still be running the same UI that the current units.

Now that doesn't mean they wont abondon the Premiere platform though. The S2 units and S3 units ran esentially the same code but they still stopped releasing updates for the S2 units long before the S3 units. Even when a program shares a common codebase it can still be a PITA to maintain multiple versions. Although I predict they will keep releasing updates for at least another year, maybe two.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #42
knightl

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I do! And I love the two S3s I still have running.

All these TiVos still record TV shows. Love it!
I too, love the S3. I just had one brick on me and bought a refurb S3 from TIVO to replace it.
knightl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
zubinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikengrove View Post
My premiere does the same thing. The live tv screen is always stuck on pause and tv goes black and remote becomes useless .have to unplug unit and restart..that is such a slow reboot time.
I wish TiVo would get rid of all the useless stuff on HD display screen. I end up keeping screen on standard ,not the HD one

Is there any way to just get the grid guide in HD and everything else in SD?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Is there any way to just get the grid guide in HD and everything else in SD?
No, It is either SDUI or HDUI
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #45
zubinh

I'm all ready to upgrade to Premiere but now you guys are giving me second thoughts
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #46
compnurd

Quote:
I'm all ready to upgrade to Premiere but now you guys are giving me second thoughts
I love the HDUI. The problem here is what everyone compares it to. I came from Direct TV's HD Interface so to me the HDUI on the Premiere is faster. It is also faster then my in-laws Verizon Fios HD Interface. Is it as fast as the SDUI, no, but the SDUI is BASIC like the TV Guide software most cable companies use.

The HDUI does use the internet ALOT, so having a good connection and DNS servers that are properly configured and you will be fine. I have two premieres, both use HDUI, never had a slow down on either. Netflix etc works fine
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
zubinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I love the HDUI. The problem here is what everyone compares it to. I came from Direct TV's HD Interface so to me the HDUI on the Premiere is faster. It is also faster then my in-laws Verizon Fios HD Interface. Is it as fast as the SDUI, no, but the SDUI is BASIC like the TV Guide software most cable companies use.

The HDUI does use the internet ALOT, so having a good connection and DNS servers that are properly configured and you will be fine. I have two premieres, both use HDUI, never had a slow down on either. Netflix etc works fine
Thank you for the reassurance compnurd. I have upgraded my Fios speed to 50/25 and I upgraded to the latest Router with Moca Support in anticipation of upgrading. As far as "DNS servers that are properly configured" ...I have no idea what that means so if you know of a post that describes what to do, I'd appreciate it! Now all I need is for the Tivo Mini to be released.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #48
smbaker

Quote:
It's still a worthy upgrade. It falls far short of it's potential, but I'm still happier with my Premiere than my S3 or S2. I just have a much better expectation of quality than Tivo delivers these days.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #49
mr_smits

Quote:
the rumored Tivo Series 5 platform is very different from current

I haven't heard anything about Series 5. Do we know anything about it and timeframe?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #50
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Thank you for the reassurance compnurd. I have upgraded my Fios speed to 50/25 and I upgraded to the latest Router with Moca Support in anticipation of upgrading. As far as "DNS servers that are properly configured" ...I have no idea what that means so if you know of a post that describes what to do, I'd appreciate it! Now all I need is for the Tivo Mini to be released.
DNS stands for Domain Name Server, it's what turns google.com into a IP address.

Your modem pulls one down from your ISP but you can usually find a more reliable/faster one with a little research.

I personally roll my own which is the fastest most secure thing to do. If you have a spare low power machine lying around its really simple to setup.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...dns-server.htm
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
I haven't heard anything about Series 5. Do we know anything about it and timeframe?
The only mention of it at all was during a conference call when someone from TiVo mentioned that the functionality of the Stream would be built into some future hardware release. They NEVER said it was going to be a Series 5, or anything else about it, so everything else being posted here is pure rumor and speculation.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #52
nrc
Cracker Soul

I finally made the move to a Premiere recently. I like the HDUI. Most of the time it's fast enough. Every once in a while it bogs down. I thought I had one lockup but I wandered off and when I came back everything was back to normal.

One thing that does annoy me is that it doesn't seem to buffer remote presses well. So if it's still rendering a menu and you select a menu item sometimes you get a bonk instead of the action expected.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #53
Thunderclap

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the current Premiere hardware was quite capable of handling the HDUI. Isn't it a dual core CPU in these units? As I understand it the issue is that Tivo hasn't "enabled" the second core yet thus causing the sluggishness.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #54
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the current Premiere hardware was quite capable of handling the HDUI. Isn't it a dual core CPU in these units? As I understand it the issue is that Tivo hasn't "enabled" the second core yet thus causing the sluggishness.
They enabled the second core a while back. It improved things a bit, but the UI is still a dog. I think the whole thing is just underpowered. Which seems to be confirmed by the fact that it runs better on the 2 tuner unit then the 4 tuner unit because the 4 tuner unit has more resources dedicated to recording/buffering 4 stations at a time.

Hopefully a future revision of the hardware will contain a newer chip that can run the UI a little faster.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #55
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They enabled the second core a while back. It improved things a bit, but the UI is still a dog. I think the whole thing is just underpowered. Which seems to be confirmed by the fact that it runs better on the 2 tuner unit then the 4 tuner unit because the 4 tuner unit has more resources dedicated to recording/buffering 4 stations at a time.

Hopefully a future revision of the hardware will contain a newer chip that can run the UI a little faster.

Dan
I think the second core seemed to speed up other tasks more so then the UI....

I dont remember seeing a huge change with the UI when that happened... That being said though, we have alot more HD screens then we did before the core update
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #56
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

Yes, the CPU's are underpowered but (as I asserted earlier) the HDUI is so dependent on a live connection to TiVo's servers for uncached, live information, it can never really be fast everywhere, regardless of the hardware thrown at it. A TRUE, "everywhere" speedup would require a significant redesign and re-thinking of the way the HDUI works. One solution would be to download *ALL* the program information on a regular basis (not just the base listings, but also all the icons/graphics, the extended info). Another [less desirable option] would be to make anything "live" optional information that is not displayed or retrieved unless directed to do so.

I do believe faster CPU's will result in much snapper performance in perhaps most areas of the HDUI. They have so much invested in their software design, that I seriously doubt it will change much with a series 5.

One thing I would LOVE to see would be to put the OS, TiVo Software, and *ALL* settings information on flash storage. Use the hard drive to ONLY store the video. That would significantly speed up the booting and operation of many aspects of the system, and significantly improve the reliability of the system. Make that flash storage a removable card, and now you have a backup of everything important... all your preferences, channel settings, antenna config, network config, audio, config, likes and dislikes, wishlists, etc, etc. If your TiVo fails or blows a hard drive, simply move the card into a replacement unit and you are DONE.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #57
Brad Bishop

Just to add my two bits in:

I have an Elite. Up until the v20.1 (I think that's right) version I'd get random reboots throughout the week. Since then, it's been solid.

I also switched to the HDUI when v20.1 hit and I have no complaints. I even switched back recently to SDUI to see if I was missing any speed. It was negligible. While I don't know if the Premier is less powered than the Elite, if I were recommending settings to a friend or family member for the Elite I'd tell them to go HDUI as it's a nicer interface and the speed issue really isn't there.

Now, if only they'd finish the HDUI interface. It's pretty ridiculous that they should have had it done in 2007 with the TiVo HD and here we are, 5 years later, and you still slip into the SDUI interface depending on what you do.

As for the Java comments - it looks like people gave up on that. Yahoo! was a big player. Dominos let you order pizza via the Java interface (never worked for me). I think it's time to move past Java. It seems that most others have or are.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #58
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
One thing I would LOVE to see would be to put the OS, TiVo Software, and *ALL* settings information on flash storage. Use the hard drive to ONLY store the video. That would significantly speed up the booting and operation of many aspects of the system, and significantly improve the reliability of the system. Make that flash storage a removable card, and now you have a backup of everything important... all your preferences, channel settings, antenna config, network config, audio, config, likes and dislikes, wishlists, etc, etc. If your TiVo fails or blows a hard drive, simply move the card into a replacement unit and you are DONE.
That would be nice. Flash storage is cheap enough now that they could do that pretty easily.

Has anyone ever used a flash based drive as their primary hard drive in a TiVo? Just as an experiment to see if it made the UI any faster?

Dan
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Has anyone ever used a flash based drive as their primary hard drive in a TiVo? Just as an experiment to see if it made the UI any faster?

Dan
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454580

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #60
Thunderclap

If TiVo re-wrote the HDUI in HTML5 or Java or some other program that wasn't as CPU intensie couldn't they push that to TiVo units during an update? Maybe they can find a way to re-compile the Flash code into one of these other languages so they didn't have to recode from scratch.