TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
slice1900

Angry Is Tivo EVER going to fix the awful Premiere software?

I am getting more and more frustrated every time I see my Premiere start up from standby frozen. Every few weeks I try to turn it on and the screen is black except for a window in the upper right paused on whatever I was watching when I put it on standby the night before. Nothing on the remote works - the yellow light on the unit flashes so it is getting there, but it is ignored. This seems to be separate from the "frozen remote" symptoms which fortunately I haven't seen this spring, but is even more frustrating because the only cure is to pull the power cord. Then you have to wait several minutes for it boot, and then endure terribly slow menus for a while until it finally starts working properly.

This bug has been present since I bought this two years ago. Seriously, does Tivo not give a damn about quality? My Series 2 was trouble free for 7 or 8 years until it finally bit the dust, and one would think a Series 4 is an upgrade. The two tuners and HD is certainly an upgrade, but the UI has gone downhill. If Tivo ever wishes to have a chance of getting people like me to invest in another one in the future this crap needs to be fixed before they waste time adding useless features like new UIs for Youtube, Amazon and Netflix. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the glaring bugs and issues in the basic functionality before you spend more time on the extras! No one buys Tivo because the Netflix UI is cool, but people will stop buying it if even waking it up from standby is a crapshoot!!
slice1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
djwilso

That sounds very frustrating. Your unit sounds defective.

I'm glad that my Premiere Elite has never done any of the things you mentioned.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
I am getting more and more frustrated every time I see my Premiere start up from standby frozen. Every few weeks I try to turn it on and the screen is black except for a window in the upper right paused on whatever I was watching when I put it on standby the night before. Nothing on the remote works - the yellow light on the unit flashes so it is getting there, but it is ignored. This seems to be separate from the "frozen remote" symptoms which fortunately I haven't seen this spring, but is even more frustrating because the only cure is to pull the power cord. Then you have to wait several minutes for it boot, and then endure terribly slow menus for a while until it finally starts working properly.

This bug has been present since I bought this two years ago. Seriously, does Tivo not give a damn about quality? My Series 2 was trouble free for 7 or 8 years until it finally bit the dust, and one would think a Series 4 is an upgrade. The two tuners and HD is certainly an upgrade, but the UI has gone downhill. If Tivo ever wishes to have a chance of getting people like me to invest in another one in the future this crap needs to be fixed before they waste time adding useless features like new UIs for Youtube, Amazon and Netflix. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the glaring bugs and issues in the basic functionality before you spend more time on the extras! No one buys Tivo because the Netflix UI is cool, but people will stop buying it if even waking it up from standby is a crapshoot!!
What is it doing in "standby"! It certainly doesn't appear you've asked for any help at all! OTA - Cable - what type of network? It seems unlikely that unless you "dribbled" it as the first step of "set-up" you could have this many issues! Try it again tomorrow night!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
scole250

Just curious why you put it in standby? I thought that was a feature used for watching pass-through TV on a single tuner Tivo.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

This is not normal behavior from a Premiere box. My two tuner Premiere and my two Elites do not behave this way.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
rvsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Just curious why you put it in standby? I thought that was a feature used for watching pass-through TV on a single tuner Tivo.
My Premier spends most of its time in Standby. Recordings made while the unit is in Standby will not be interrupted by the periodic emergency alert tests.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
bbrown9

You don't have to reboot. The GUI is frozen and you can restart the GUI by pressing <THUMBS DOWN><THUMBS UP><PLAY><PLAY> (I got that info from another thread on this forum - not sure if I remembered it right - if that doesn't work try reversing the THUMBs). It will take a few seconds, then thee GUI will restart. A lot faster than a reboot.

I put my TiVo in standby all the time and I never see this returning from standby. I've seen it a couple of times just randomly navigating the menu system.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
caddyroger

The only problem with my Elite is that the HD menus are still slow. I have a 25down and 5 connection.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
moyekj

slice1900, you can save yourself a lot of grief simply by switching to SDUI. Everything will be much snappier once you do so. The HDUI besides being incomplete still has many issues and while almost bearable speed on my Premiere is just way too slow on my Elite so nobody in the family room where the Elite sits wants anything to do with HDUI.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder why the Elite is slower? Perhaps recording 4 buffers is taxing the CPU/RAM more and causing the UI to slow down. You should try tuning a couple of the live buffers to channels you don't actually get and see if that speeds things up any. Not a viable long term solution, but might be an interesting test.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post

Well, I have an XL, and have never had an issue with it. I don't know how long you have had your unit, but Tivo has made enormous strides with their software. And they keep on doing with every subsequent release.

It doesn't appear to be a software issue with you. It's more likely a hardware issue that is causing your problems. I am extremely happy with my unit. Even to the point of ordering a TiVo Stream.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
compnurd

No Slow Downs here and the HDUI is plenty fast
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
smbaker

I haven't had any lockups on mine lately, although on one Tivo the tuners occasionally get screwed up and won't tune any channel (something like "the channel cannot be tuned") until it has been rebooted.

I'm also having constant problems with it losing the group and sort preferences in the now playing screen, and at the same time turning off groups in pyTivo. I'm not sure why it's doing this, but it sure is annoying every couple of days to have the sort/group preferences screwed up.

HDUI performance is still a dog. It's just not a responsive interface. I've already resigned to the fact that it never will have decent performance.

New youtube plugin kinda sucks. I liked the old one better.

I was expecting a service update to complete the HDUI by now. Wasn't that promised sometime in the spring?
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
jrtroo
User

No, the spring update did not promise full HDUI. At that time it mentioned that more HD screens were coming in the "fall" update, but even then a full set of HD menus was not described.

My HD performance is great. Just had my now playing change its preferences, I thought that was the kids or the dog hitting the color coded buttons.

OP- you are clearly having unusual issues. If you are looking to troubleshoot, let us know a few things like:
wireless/wired internet connection
external hard drive?
why are you using standby? Does this happen at any other times?
did the reboot of the UI trick work for you?
Do you have a cablecard? TA?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
swerver

For sluggish ui performance, if you haven't tried the slide remote, you need to.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I have the slide and it can't change the issue with the HDUI being a dog, nor does it address the numerous bugs in it. SDUI is the only way to go for me on the Elite, which sucks because I use the guide all the time and it's way better in HD.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
moyekj

The bottom line is the hardware is just not good enough to run the HDUI without feeling sluggish. For those that say the HDUI is not sluggish then I submit if they did try the SDUI it would feel like a jet engine, especially on 4 tuner units. Speed is all relative so not everyone is going to agree on what sluggish is or not but my point of reference is comparing to SDUI and it's no contest which one is faster, especially on 4-tuner units. I agree that there are several advantages now in HDUI and I do use it quite a bit on my Premiere, but on the Elite it is just dog slow (especially when left unattended for a while) and nobody in the family can tolerate HDUI on that unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
compnurd

This all depends on what you are comparing it to. The HDUI on Verizon, Direct TV, Comcasts new one are all Slower than the Tivo HDUI.... And obviously slower than there previous SDUI's... It is just a fact that the newer interfaces do and interact with alot more then the SDUI's do
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have the slide and it can't change the issue with the HDUI being a dog, nor does it address the numerous bugs in it. SDUI is the only way to go for me on the Elite, which sucks because I use the guide all the time and it's way better in HD.
Oh, well it made a big difference to me, using a 2 tuner premiere. Bluetooth on the slide remote makes the ui lightning fast, it was a bit painful before with the regular remote with IR.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Oh, well it made a big difference to me, using a 2 tuner premiere. Bluetooth on the slide remote makes the ui lightning fast, it was a bit painful before with the regular remote with IR.
For me, bluetooth has improved the latency between pushing a button and the DVR acting on the button push. However, it hasn't done a bit of good for screen refresh times, populating menus, now playing lists, etc. Those are the places where the HDUI functions like a lazy or very sick dog.

I'm not sure why anyone is comparing Tivo to comcast or other cableco DVRs. The Tivo is a premium DVR. It's sold to people who want a much better device than those DVRs. It should utterly blow them away in features, performance, and reliability.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The bottom line is the hardware is just not good enough to run the HDUI without feeling sluggish. For those that say the HDUI is not sluggish then I submit if they did try the SDUI it would feel like a jet engine, especially on 4 tuner units. Speed is all relative so not everyone is going to agree on what sluggish is or not but my point of reference is comparing to SDUI and it's no contest which one is faster, especially on 4-tuner units. I agree that there are several advantages now in HDUI and I do use it quite a bit on my Premiere, but on the Elite it is just dog slow (especially when left unattended for a while) and nobody in the family can tolerate HDUI on that unit.
Agree. About once a month or so I'll switch to HDUI, usually to check out some feature I've read about in these forum that is HDUI only, and after a few minutes I'm right back to SDUI. I'm all about speed, speed, speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
It doesn't make any difference to the UI speed. I have both, and regardless of response time, the UI reaction is the same.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
David D

FWIW, I'm on my fourth Premier in 18 months. The first unit lasted 11 months with very few lock-ups and reboots. Around the 12th month, it would be on the TiVo start up screen when we'd turn on the tv several times a week, eventually becoming several times daily.

We're now on the fourth unit and while improved, it still acts up several times a week, including the "TiVo service is not available..." message that requires a power down reboot. I've tried all the suggestions TiVo tech support has offered including putting the unit on a UPS with still unsatisfactory results. I'm at wits end with this and don't know what else to do. From what I gather from here and talking to TiVo tech support, these units are easily thrown by poor signal to noise ratio, multipath distortion, etc. which is common with OTA, which is what I use. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone at TiVo on a solution.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
You don't have to reboot. The GUI is frozen and you can restart the GUI by pressing <THUMBS DOWN><THUMBS UP><PLAY><PLAY> (I got that info from another thread on this forum - not sure if I remembered it right - if that doesn't work try reversing the THUMBs). It will take a few seconds, then thee GUI will restart. A lot faster than a reboot.
I tried this (both ways). No luck. I've never heard of "rebooting the GUI". Any other info on this? Anyone else heard of this?

PS: I don't have any problems. I just had never heard of this process, and wanted to try it out of curiosity.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #24
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I tried this (both ways). No luck. I've never heard of "rebooting the GUI". Any other info on this? Anyone else heard of this?

PS: I don't have any problems. I just had never heard of this process, and wanted to try it out of curiosity.
Works for me (from TiVo Central HDUI)

Never heard of it before but the screen goes blank for several seconds and then TiVo Central is redisplayed.

I'll add it to my list of codes in case it seems it's ever useful for me.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
compnurd

Quote:

It has been posted by Tivo people in the past as an option
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Works for me (from TiVo Central HDUI)

Never heard of it before but the screen goes blank for several seconds and then TiVo Central is redisplayed.

I'll add it to my list of codes in case it seems it's ever useful for me.
Maybe it's HDUI only. I'll try it that way. I'm an SDUI guy.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
DocNo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I'm not sure why anyone is comparing Tivo to comcast or other cableco DVRs. The Tivo is a premium DVR. It's sold to people who want a much better device than those DVRs. It should utterly blow them away in features, performance, and reliability.
Hear hear.... For the most part they have the features and reliability down (otherwise I would have ditched Tivo for cheaper solutions long ago) - but the performance has always been frustrating. I may finally go the HTPC route. Combined with thinking of cutting the cable cord and going pure OTA and streaming, despite the hassles at least I will get a fast UI if I'm willing to pay for it!
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe it's HDUI only. I'll try it that way. I'm an SDUI guy.
Yes that's a technique for rebooting the HDUI. It has no effect on the SDUI. The SDUI is more low level. If it locks up you need to pull the plug and do a full reboot.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
moyekj

FYI you can also reboot by holding down the "Format" button on the front of the TiVo for about 30 secs. (It's hard for me to reach power cord on my TiVo so I found that a good substitute).

Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Good tip, thanks. I had no idea you could do that.

Dan