TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
smoberly

pixelization and stuttering picture

In the last week, I have noticed that when I play back recorded programming, I get some periodic stopping and stuttering with my picture, as well as very light pixelization. I have Time Warner Cable....this is a new problem, and my other two TiVo's do not do this...thus it would seem to be the DVR and not the cable service. I am using a 1 TB external hard drive and it is over 95% full....don't know if that matters...just trying to share as much relevant data as possible.

Any thoughts as to the cause or more importantly the cure?
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
In the last week, I have noticed that when I play back recorded programming, I get some periodic stopping and stuttering with my picture, as well as very light pixelization. I have Time Warner Cable....this is a new problem, and my other two TiVo's do not do this...thus it would seem to be the DVR and not the cable service. I am using a 1 TB external hard drive and it is over 95% full....don't know if that matters...just trying to share as much relevant data as possible.

Any thoughts as to the cause or more importantly the cure?
If you rewind, then replay, after experiencing a stoppage, stuttering or pixelization, does the video play ok then?

If so, it could be one or both of the HDDs.
If not, then TiVo recorded the video the way you see it; so it's not likely a TiVo problem.

If you have tuning adapters and many splits in the cable feed. I would start with that, if HDDs are not suspected.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
smoberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
If you rewind, then replay, after experiencing a stoppage, stuttering or pixelization, does the video play ok then?

If so, it could be one or both of the HDDs.
If not, then TiVo recorded the video the way you see it; so it's not likely a TiVo problem.

If you have tuning adapters and many splits in the cable feed. I would start with that, if HDDs are not suspected.
Last night when I experienced the issue, I re-booted the TiVo and when I replayed the program, it was fine. I don't recall if I have tried simply rewinding and replaying and what the outcome was...as for the tuning adapters...if I understand what you are saying, each Tivo has its own tuning adapter, so I am not splitting the signal.

Does this lead you to believe it is the external HDD or the TiVo or do I need to do more troubleshooting?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
EdMuldoon

Actively working this problem on Premiere XL

We are experiencing intermittent problems similar to those you describe. We ran Kickstart 54 hard drive diagnostics and all passed (best to run these overnight as it took almost 7 hours and doesn't record anything while it's running).

We then transferred one of the "damaged" recordings to another DVR where the problem did not occur, but the playback was exactly the same as the original, indicating it is likely something to do with the line (we have Verizon FIOS).

Our signal-to-noise ratio was considered to be a little high by the Tivo technician (37dB) despite a good signal strength (91).

Will keep this group posted on progress and appreciate the same in return.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
TZR916

I am having this also. Exit out to live Tv. Go back to play same recording and the stuttering is NOT there or may start happening a few minutes later (completely different place in the recording).

This happened before, cleared up for a while, looks like it's back
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489360
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZR916 View Post
I am having this also. Exit out to live Tv. Go back to play same recording and the stuttering is NOT there or may start happening a few minutes later (completely different place in the recording).

This happened before, cleared up for a while, looks like it's back
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489360
From the number of reports, it sounds almost like the (current?) software has some kind of buffering issue. I assume these are all Premieres. Are they all 4-tuner models? Buffering problems would be more understandable in those, since more streams are being handled. Are external drives involved ever? Sometimes? Never?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
beartrash

My Tivo Premiere has started exhibiting the behavior described in this thread. The audio cuts out and the image freezes or goes blank for a second or less and all of this is occurring more frequently, a few times a minute.

I've run the S.M.A.R.T. tests from the KICKSTART 54 and all the tests claim the drive is OK.

I assume it's the hard drive so I've ordered a replacement drive with more capacity, but this thread has got me wondering if there may be another issue going on.

I'll post my results once I replace the drive.
beartrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
bobfrank

This may or not relate to the problem the OP is having, but I was having the same trouble during the Olympics.

I finally discovered that the problem only happened when I was recording 2 shows, watching a previously record show and transferring a HD show from my computer to the TiVo. That would cause whatever was recording at that time to pixelate.

I stopped transferring shows and the pixelization stopped.

Bob
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrash View Post
...I assume it's the hard drive so I've ordered a replacement drive with more capacity, but this thread has got me wondering if there may be another issue going on..
My Elite is less than 6 months old. It better not be a drive issue.

My stuttering doesn't happen in the same spot in the recording. If I exit out and replay it the stuttering isn't there or doesn't return until much later. This leads me to believe it is NOT a drive issue or a signal quality issue.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
beartrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZR916 View Post
My stuttering doesn't happen in the same spot in the recording. If I exit out and replay it the stuttering isn't there or doesn't return until much later. This leads me to believe it is NOT a drive issue or a signal quality issue.
My stuttering occurs at the same spots if I rewind live television or if I'm watching a recorded program. That difference makes me believe my issues are hard drive based, especially since the stutters are happening steadily more frequently, or at least that's my hope since my replacement drive is on the way.

Last edited by beartrash : 09-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
smoberly

I just got off of the phone with TiVo technical support....after going through a series of questions, the representative told me to unplug my Tivo from the surge protector and to plug it directly in to the wall....when I raised a concern about the fact that my box would no longer be protected by the surge protector, she indicated that it is a standard recommendation from Tivo to NOT use a surge protector....really? Has anyone else ever heard this before?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
I just got off of the phone with TiVo technical support....after going through a series of questions, the representative told me to unplug my Tivo from the surge protector and to plug it directly in to the wall....when I raised a concern about the fact that my box would no longer be protected by the surge protector, she indicated that it is a standard recommendation from Tivo to NOT use a surge protector....really? Has anyone else ever heard this before?
I've heard of it before, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. You really should be using a UPS, of course.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
beartrash

So much for certainty. I left my Premiere unplugged over night after several KICKSTART 54 and 57 attempts. I plugged it in this morning and the Tivo fan made the loudest noise I've ever heard it make, the Tivo booted a couple of times and has been operating with no glitches for a couple of hours.

The replacement drive is still en route and I'm not feeling to secure about the current drive's state so I'm replacing it anyway, but at least my Tivo is watchable again.