TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
tootal2

eas test lock both tivo hd on channel 14 in st. louis

Both of my tivos were locked on channel 14 after a eas test. And both of them would not respond to the remote and channel 14 was playing fine.

had to unplug both tivos to fix the problem

has any seen this problem before?
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
mattack

how long did you wait? If this was maybe an amber alert, not an EAS test, maybe you ran into the same thing I did a few weeks ago that I described.

My Tivos basically "locked up" with a black screen for many minutes.. Eventually they did come back.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
tootal2

I waited about 15 min. it was lock on 14 when i got home from work around 12:30 am walk the dog for 15 min and it was still locked on 14 when i got back.

the eas test text was not on the screen and channel 14 played fine.
Most of the time when i get the eas test my screen go blank for 5 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
how long did you wait? If this was maybe an amber alert, not an EAS test, maybe you ran into the same thing I did a few weeks ago that I described.

My Tivos basically "locked up" with a black screen for many minutes.. Eventually they did come back.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
HTH
No Avatar Selected

This sounds like what I'm experiencing right now on my Elite.

I was watching a program and an unexpected commercial break happened. Using the remote got no response from the unit (Elite). When suddenly a spot identified the sponsor for The Young and the Restless I realized I was not in the recording I was watching and that it was the time that Time-Warner Cable of Lincoln does their Required Weekly Test, except there was no crawl at the top of the screen identifying the test that usually appears.

It finally released 11 minutes later: 11:10 to 11:21 AM. EAS tests normally don't last that long. Returning to the program had it minutes further back than when it was interrupted.

There needs to be a way to acknowledge receipt of the alert and resume normal operations. Some secret unlock code. At least the emergency text message service legally allows one to subscribe with one's carrier to block all but presidential alerts on cell phones.

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTH View Post
There needs to be a way to acknowledge receipt of the alert and resume normal operations. Some secret unlock code. At least the emergency text message service legally allows one to subscribe with one's carrier to block all but presidential alerts on cell phones.
I don't know either way, but I SUSPECT this is either legally prohibited by the FCC OR prohibited due to agreements for CableCard usage.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
rvsj

Put your TiVo in Standby mode and it will ignore the notifications.
Mine are always in Standby when I am not actually watching something.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I and another forum member in the TWC Southwest Ohio area are experiencing simlar "takeovers" during EAS messages. The TiVo will not respond (other than the bass drum sound) to any remote button and the video output will either go to a particular channel (Ch 360, C-SPAN2 in our case) or show a black screen. After the message is done, control returns but the video output may not be what you were originally watching.

I recently switched from 2 single-channel CableCARDs to one m-card in my TiVo HD. This problem did NOT occur with the previous 2 cards (although they had other problems).

Is anyone having such problems on a system other than Time Warner?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Dlcrouch

Same problem last night (Sep 25) here in Houston. Message cleared after 10 minutes or so, but then my Premiere 4 locked up and I had to power cycle.
Dlcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote