TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #181
KenDC
Huggy Bear

As Walt is always a step ahead, could he have gotten the cancer is back news and then changed directions just to see if his wife would take care of him when he gets sick?

Also, could someone explain the book again. I remember Hank having it and the flashback whole scene but I didn't remember Walt getting a copy. When/why did that happen?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #182
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Come on, in Season 2 they had no idea if there was going to be a Season 5. It's just supposed to be the same dispenser. The fact that it doesn't match up exactly doesn't mean anything.
Not to mention that even in the worst county hospital the maintenance crew would have gotten a round tuit to replace the towel dispenser - or they would have a Dyson hand dryer by now.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #183
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
Also, could someone explain the book again. I remember Hank having it and the flashback whole scene but I didn't remember Walt getting a copy. When/why did that happen?
It's not the same book. The book in the flashback is Gale's "Lab Notes" notebook which had a short inscription to "W.W". This was evidence collected by the DEA/APD when Gale was shot. The book in the bathroom is a book of poetry by Walt Whitman which had a similar inscription from Gale to Walt. It hasn't been confirmed if Gale giving Walt the book happened on-screen or not.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #184
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
It's not the same book. The book in the flashback is Gale's "Lab Notes" notebook which had a short inscription to "W.W". This was evidence collected by the DEA/APD when Gale was shot. The book in the bathroom is a book of poetry by Walt Whitman which had a similar inscription from Gale to Walt. It hasn't been confirmed if Gale giving Walt the book happened on-screen or not.
In a podcast I listened to, they said that in the S3 episode in question, Walt and Gale discuss their shared love of Walt Whitman, and then later in the episode, Walt is seen looking through the book. So while the giving of the gift was not done outright on screen, it seems to have been implied that the book came from Gale.

Even if it wasn't implied at the time, the inscription which we now were able to read in this episode makes it pretty clear where Walt got the book.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #185
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Exactly. It's not that they couldn't figure out how much it was (since it's already been done relatively easily in this thread).

It was already so much money that they couldn't realistically do anything with it. It was too much to launder safely, so it's essentially just a big pile of useless paper.
You guys obviously have never had mad stacks of cash.

When you have money, you count it. There is no Scrooge McDuck who just piles the money and doesn't count it.

Walt is crazy meticulous with recording things. And he put the cash in stacks -- to think that he didn't count it and record it is kind of unbelievable.

I'm curious to get TCF Hank's opinion.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #186
rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #187
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
My take on the MRI/Towel dispenser scene. Walt didn't get bad news that the cancer is back: he reflected on his life, how he felt with his diagnosis, and remembered the whole reason for him getting into the meth business was to take care of his family, which is now shattered. Walt realized he was off the rails, and is now trying to correct it.

My prediction next season: Hank confronts Walt before making it official, Hank gets fed the ricin.

I agree with both your take on the towel dispenser scene & your prediction.

Walt was too calm and cool while washing his hands to have, just a few seconds before, been beating the life out of a hand dryer. I agree that they showed it to show Walt reflecting on the past year and allow us to reflect right along with him.

Re: the prediction. They made a point to show Walt replacing it into his hiding place, so it is definitely not out of play just yet. Once Walt realizes that Hank is on to him, I think he would use it if given the chance.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #188
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Even if it wasn't implied at the time, the inscription which we now were able to read in this episode makes it pretty clear where Walt got the book.
Yeah, I did not mean to imply that Gale never actually gave Walt the book, just that it wasn't confirmed if it happen on screen or off screen. It's pretty clear it was a gift, I'm not debating that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
You guys obviously have never had mad stacks of cash.

When you have money, you count it. There is no Scrooge McDuck who just piles the money and doesn't count it.

Walt is crazy meticulous with recording things. And he put the cash in stacks -- to think that he didn't count it and record it is kind of unbelievable.

I'm curious to get TCF Hank's opinion.
I think Walt was meticulous in counting each pile of cash he handed over to Skyler. He might not have been so meticulous adding it all up in his head. But yeah, he would have some ballpark *idea* of how much cash he handed over to her within a $10-million range.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #189
Hank
AC•FTW

One more comment about the WitSec path. We were watching a few eps of S04 last night,and in E04 or E05, when Walt is wondering how everything go so far out of control, Saul proposes that Walt and his family "dissapear". Saul "knows a guy" who says is way better than Witness Protection, you really "disappear". "Off the grid". New identities, everything. But Saul said that his fee is "substantial.. and I mean 'SUBSTANTIAL'". "There's no going back."

I didn't watch the next episode, but I think that's when Walt goes back to the crawlspace to find out that they don't have enough money left to "disappear". I suspect Walt eventually uses this guy's service to disappear to NH. No WitSec.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #190
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Come on, in Season 2 they had no idea if there was going to be a Season 5. It's just supposed to be the same dispenser. The fact that it doesn't match up exactly doesn't mean anything.
It does here
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #191
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
My take on the MRI/Towel dispenser scene. Walt didn't get bad news that the cancer is back: he reflected on his life, how he felt with his diagnosis, and remembered the whole reason for him getting into the meth business was to take care of his family, which is now shattered. Walt realized he was off the rails, and is now trying to correct it.

My prediction next season: Hank confronts Walt before making it official, Hank gets fed the ricin.
I'm with you.

While "building empires" was his expressed goal, the real one is to provide for his family.

I too think he saw the mad stacks and it really hit him. He doesn't need to live in a world where his wife hates him and kids don't live with him anymore. He has the money. He can quit.

Giving a ton of it to Jessie also seems to fit that revelation.

The dinner scene at the end seemed to show a tad bit of healing (with Walt and his wife and kids). I think he's content and is ready to be good again.

Of course that's right when Hank finds out.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #192
danterner
Not it!

Hank, your imagined nursing home dialog is hysterical -- well done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #193
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I think Walt was meticulous in counting each pile of cash he handed over to Skyler. He might not have been so meticulous adding it all up in his head. But yeah, he would have some ballpark *idea* of how much cash he handed over to her within a $10-million range.
Walt clearly counted the money each time the cash was delivered to him, so he could make the necessary percentage payments to Saul, Todd, Vamanos Pest, and anyone else. But I don't think he kept records of how much was leftover each time, and how much he delivered to Skylar. That was the whole point of her involvement. So he didn't have to deal with the accounting.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #194
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
The dinner scene at the end seemed to show a tad bit of healing (with Walt and his wife and kids). I think he's content and is ready to be good again.

Of course that's right when Hank finds out.
Isn't that always the way life goes?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #195
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese View Post
What was the colors explanation for marie and purple? Cause the one seen had somany obvious purple things in it, pillow, chairs, rugs, clothing.. Marie and Skylar. What does purple signify?
I don't know, but I loved that rug, and I don't usually even like purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
How many here would have sat down right then and there and counted that money?

as far as predictions, I predict a fire in the storage place; 50% chance it's started by Skyler!
Definitely not buying either one of them not knowing how much money there was. Skylar is an accountant--she should be anal about keeping track of each deposit--maybe in code somewhere. It's not that the whole pile in the storage locker should be counted, it would have been counted 1 deposit at a time as it came in.

I didn't even think about fire. She probably should have broken it up into different storage lockers. Or safety deposit boxes....oh, wait, not a good idea.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #196
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Thanks.

Did anyone else get the impression that the first page might have been "stuck"? It seemed like he went back and forth and it "popped". Maybe Walt didn't even know it was there and that is why he didn't get rid of it?

Of course, if that is true I will forget I nailed it a year from now.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #197
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Walt clearly counted the money each time the cash was delivered to him, so he could make the necessary percentage payments to Saul, Todd, Vamanos Pest, and anyone else. But I don't think he kept records of how much was leftover each time, and how much he delivered to Skylar. That was the whole point of her involvement. So he didn't have to deal with the accounting.
Just doesn't seem in Hank's character. To closely track and monitor every last detail but then not keep track of the end result?

I'm done. This show sucks and it's just too hard to believe. They can't even keep a dented piece of metal around for a few years in case they need it again.

Sheesh, crappy show.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #198
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Definitely not buying either one of them not knowing how much money there was. Skylar is an accountant--she should be anal about keeping track of each deposit--maybe in code somewhere. It's not that the whole pile in the storage locker should be counted, it would have been counted 1 deposit at a time as it came in.
I think Skylar was counting it meticulously at the beginning. She was trying to keep up with it and run it through the car wash to make it legit. But at some point she realized there was no point. I was coming in far too fast for her to launder, and she couldn't just store it at the car wash, so she had to find some place to put it. I'm guessing that even then, she tried to keep up with the recordkeeping, but it just became pointless.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #199
Dawghows

My powers of observation must have been on the fritz when I was watching this. It never even crossed my mind that Walt's cancer might be back, and I didn't believe for a fraction of a second that he was truly "out."

Having now read through this thread, I'm pretty convinced that he is indeed serious about stopping, although I think the new Czech deal seems like an awfully large hole in that theory. One thing is for certain, though: Pretty much every time I think I know where this show is headed, it takes a turn I didn't expect. I guess we'll all know for sure next year....geez what a long time to wait.

ETA: There were a few previous comments about all that unlaundered money being so much "useless paper," and about Jesse not be able to use all his money. Unless I'm forgetting something, there's no reason they can't use the money -- it's not marked or anything, right? Granted they can't go out and buy a fleet of yachts, but as long as they spend it on reasonable purchases and without any obvious grandiosity, they should be fine.

Last edited by Dawghows : 09-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #200
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I'm usually one of the people on here saying I didn't find something believable, but I have no issue with the paper towel dispenser and I have no issue with them not knowing how much money there was.

Why should the paper towel dispenser look identical to the way it looked months ago? Is Walt the only person who uses that bathroom? Maybe some other, recently-diagnosed guys have taken shots at it. Does it seem likely that it would have been replaced by now? Yes, but it's not beyond belief that it wasn't.

Re the cash, Skylar was in charge of the cash and she went through a long period of time where she just didn't give a damn. I can believe her being overwhelmed and losing track and I can also believe that for a stretch she just didn't care and even if she had been counting, she just stopped.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #201
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

it's gonna kill me that we have to wait until next summer to get the remainder of Season 5.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #202
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
...Re the cash, Skylar was in charge of the cash and she went through a long period of time where she just didn't give a damn. I can believe her being overwhelmed and losing track and I can also believe that for a stretch she just didn't care and even if she had been counting, she just stopped.
I think thats a good point. Kind of like doing your job to the bare minimum but nothing more.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #203
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
My powers of observation must have been on the fritz when I was watching this. It never even crossed my mind that Walt's cancer might be back, and I didn't believe for a fraction of a second that he was truly "out."

Having now read through this thread, I'm pretty convinced that he is indeed serious about stopping, although I think the new Czech deal seems like an awfully large hole in that theory. One thing is for certain, though: Pretty much every time I think I know where this show is headed, it takes a turn I didn't expect. I guess we'll all know for sure next year....geez what a long time to wait.

ETA: There were a few previous comments about all that unlaundered money being so much "useless paper," and about Jesse not be able to use all his money. Unless I'm forgetting something, there's no reason they can't use the money -- it's not marked or anything, right? Granted they can't go out and buy a fleet of yachts, but as long as they spend it on reasonable purchases and without any obvious grandiosity, they should be fine.
You could go out to a fine restaurant meal 3 times a day, every day. You could buy TVs and other goodies, but never more than $10K at a time. But a house, a car, a boat... any major purchase would be very difficult, due to the IRS. I wonder if you could apply for citizenship in Costa Rica or something and convert your dollars to Colons?

I always imagined this was the hardest part of big-paying crime. I wonder if it's easier or harder now that everything is electronic?
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #204
stellie93

Better call Saul.

I'm sure it's much more suspicious to spend cash now than it was 10 years ago. Before too long it will even look odd in the grocery.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #205
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

"Hank, the Cartel made me do it. They threatened me, my family..." - WW possible explanation.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #206
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I didn't get into it in the HH thread, but if I had $5M and Saul could give me back half of it completely clean, I'd do that in a heartbeat and enjoy my $2.5M.

I think Walt is truly done, with the "mad stacks" being the final straw. I don't think the cancer is back; I think it was just a routine checkup (remember that, in the S05E01 opening scene, he had a full head of hair at a time that we now know is approximately 8-9 months after S05E08). I had totally forgotten about Saul's "disappear guy"; I think that's definitely what Walt will use to go away, pretty clearly (IMO) without Skylar or the rest of his family.

It's killing me, though, wondering who he came all the way back to ABQ to whack!

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #207
Hank
AC•FTW

Here's a longer version of Hank's flashback "W.W" clip. There is always a "sponsor" message before the video:

http://bcove.me/xmsgub7q
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #208
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Put some violet in your life when you want:

to use your imagination to its fullest
to re-balance your life
to remove obstacles
to calm overactivity or to energize from depression

http://crystal-cure.com/purple.html
That explains my ex ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
But I think the point was, it was so much that it didn't matter and that it was getting out of control.

And I think her "trick" worked on Walt. Saying $30million and seeing $30million (or whatever number that is) are way different.
$30m in a bank account(s) is a bit different that $30m in cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
it's gonna kill me that we have to wait until next summer to get the remainder of Season 5.
Well, it's been nice knowin' ya! In the meantime, take comfort in the knowledge that they will resume filming the balance of the series starting in November, just a couple of months from now.

"Mike" discusses his final days here.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #209
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Halfway done with the season, and I have some general comments about Season 5 so far..

I was really missing the Gus, the cousins, Hector, and the whole balance of the Mexican Cartel. It did take me a while to sorta get over that. Though I will say I continue to hope they come back. Maybe it's not needed, but it was such a big part of the first four seasons, it seemed something was "missing".

That left me hoping the Madrigal angle would come into play. It did, a little, but not as much as I thought. Even including what started to happen in this most recent episode.

For reasons I can't fully explain, I just feel like there needs to be a bigger party. Hank got on top, but there wasn't much of a ride with him there if he is really OUT now.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #210
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
It's killing me, though, wondering who he came all the way back to ABQ to whack!
I've thought for a long time that BB is headed for a final (as in on the series finale) showdown and it will be either Walt vs. Hank or Walt vs. Jesse. This show has always been a bit of a western and it has never shied from confrontation. It just seems like that's where it's going. But instead of six-guns, they are using rocket launchers or whatever that thing was.

I don't think it's a given that Walt ends up the "winner." Jesse could kill him and Hank certainly could. There would be a good vs. evil, cop vs. bad guy, bro-in-law vs. bro-in-law (who it has always seemed don't really like each other that much) scenario that would make for an exciting ending. It could also be Skylar vs. Walt in the end but that seems like more of a longshot and one with less payoff.

I've also never been great at predicting where this show is headed in the longer term, so maybe what really happens is that Walt will ricin everybody, and move to the Czech Republic with Lydia and his pile of cash.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote