TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
bobross

Question Possible to downgrade a XL 1TB to 250GB?

So this is the scenario. I have a S3SA with lifetime and a XL with no service. I put the 1TB drive in the S3 for more storage. Is it possible to use a 250GB drive in the XL?

WinMFS restore gives me "Drive is too small" error even though the XL backup image is only 300MB.

Is there someway around this? I would like to sell the XL as it is useless to me. And I'm not trying to scam anyone I will advertise the exact storage space.

Thanks for any info.
SAS2@40H - Lifer
bobross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
So this is the scenario. I have a S3SA with lifetime and a XL with no service. I put the 1TB drive in the S3 for more storage. Is it possible to use a 250GB drive in the XL?

WinMFS restore gives me "Drive is too small" error even though the XL backup image is only 300MB.

Is there someway around this? I would like to sell the XL as it is useless to me. And I'm not trying to scam anyone I will advertise the exact storage space.

Thanks for any info.
The problem is that the TiVO HD XL ( your designations are rather...odd) came with a 1TB drive. The image is from a 1TB drive and cannot be used on any smaller drive. You might be able to use a TiVo HD image but there is no guarantee that it will function at all or if it does, that it will not have issues.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
bobross

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The problem is that the TiVO HD XL ( your designations are rather...odd) came with a 1TB drive. The image is from a 1TB drive and cannot be used on any smaller drive. You might be able to use a TiVo HD image but there is no guarantee that it will function at all or if it does, that it will not have issues.
Hmm that is a bummer. Seems like it would be an easy HEX hack or something. Tivo HD image? Like for a Series 3?
SAS2@40H - Lifer
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hmm that is a bummer. Seems like it would be an easy HEX hack or something. Tivo HD image? Like for a Series 3?
Like for the TiVo HD (model TCD652160) which technically yes, is a Series3. But then so is your TiVo HD XL (model TCD658000). As I said, it might work. A drive imaged for an original Series3 a.k.a S3 OLED (model TCD648250) almost certainly won't.

Your best option would be to just buy a new 1TB drive, but believe me, I understand if there are financial considerations preventing that. Not to mention the possible problems with the new AF drives.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
bobross

Ok thanks for the info, I'll give the TCD652160 image a try.
SAS2@40H - Lifer
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
bobross

TCD652160 Image works on XL with drives under 1TB! Got it working on a 250GB! AWESOME! Thank you lpwcomp for the suggestion!!!!!
SAS2@40H - Lifer
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
TCD652160 Image works on XL with drives under 1TB! Got it working on a 250GB! AWESOME! Thank you lpwcomp for the suggestion!!!!!
Be on the lookout for unknown "gotchas". Theoretically, there is no real difference between a TiVo HD and a TiVo HD XL so the s/w should be the same, but you never know.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
bobross

Quote:
Be on the lookout for unknown "gotchas". Theoretically, there is no real difference between a TiVo HD and a TiVo HD XL so the s/w should be the same, but you never know.
Yeah got a #51 error. Doing an erase and reset all. According to the forums, that should fix it. Everything else seems fine though.
SAS2@40H - Lifer
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah got a #51 error. Doing an erase and reset all. According to the forums, that should fix it. Everything else seems fine though.
That was to be expected. You would have had to do that even if you had put it into a TiVo HD.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:
A drive imaged for an original Series3 a.k.a S3 OLED (model TCD648250) almost certainly won't.
There is no "almost" about it. It absolutely certainly will not work. The hardware is substantially different, the OS is substantially different, most of the applications are substantially different at the source code level (let alone after compiling), and the MFS file system is different.

Obviously since he got it working using your suggestion, that was the way to go. Trying to make an image from an S3 work with any flavor of THD is a non-starter.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is no "almost" about it. It absolutely certainly will not work. The hardware is substantially different, the OS is substantially different, most of the applications are substantially different at the source code level (let alone after compiling), and the MFS file system is different.

Obviously since he got it working using your suggestion, that was the way to go. Trying to make an image from an S3 work with any flavor of THD is a non-starter.
I never thought that using an original S3 image had any chance of working, I just didn't want to make a categorical statement on it w/o any certain knowledge one way or the other.