TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
audiodane

What would cause Pandora to stutter?

What would cause stuttering on the Pandora service on a TivoHD? Our other Tivo (S3OLED) on the same home network does not exhibit this problem.

(EDIT: I should add that I do only have a 1Mbps downstream link from Knology at our house (128kbps up).. As I understand it however, Pandora uses only about 128kbps downstream anyway. And as I mentioned, our other Tivo is not having any issues with Pandora at all.. So I don't think our measly 1Mbps downlink really has anything to do with it.. But I thought it would be worth mentioning.)

Background:
Originally we had mediocre wireless service to this Tivo, Tivo's only "signal quality" would report somewhere in the 35-40% range. (pretty abysmal, huh?) I put a full-size WindSurfer Ez-12 Parabolic Reflector on an external large Wifi antenna connected to our router and increased the signal quality to 65-75% signal strength in Tivo's network settings diagnostics screen. This was enough of a signal increase to MRV 1080i shows in JUST-above real time (30min transferred in 25 minutes). Not enough to skip commercials, but enough to start watching immediately.

We finally started to use Pandora in the bedroom, but it would occasionally pause and stutter. So I thought that maybe the wireless connection while vastly improved, was still occasionally dropping out.

I then looked into various ways to improve things farther, and looked into MOCA, Ethernet over Powerline, and wireless range extenders. I settled on MOCA because I already had coax between the necessary locations, and in this 30yr old house, re-wiring something or running new network cables to the bedroom is not feasible. Ethernet over Powerline is reportedly inconsistent, and range extenders reportedly cut your throughput to do their repeating.

Anyway, I purchased and installed two MOCA routers (two WI424WR rev-D's), ran some tests with a short coax and with the home wiring (using frequency diplexors at each location), and am able to get upwards of 50Mbps bidirectional and 85-90Mbps unidirectional. *PLENTY* for Tivo..

Yet, Pandora STILL pauses and stutters!

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
audiodane

Thought I would post an update.. On a whim, I called Knology and upgraded to their next higher bandwidth connection-- 3Mbps-down/1Mbps-up, versus the previous link I had-- 1Mbps-down/128kbps-up. The stuttering seems to have disappeared! Which is really weird however. Pandora claims to only need 128kbps.. And there isn't much else on our home network that would be eating up the remainder..

Well, anyway, for whatever reason, the higher bandwidth link does help..

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote