TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
bearcat2000

Reboot Loop w/2 CableCards, Fine w/1

I sure hope someone here has an answer or at least some info for me. Last night I unplugged my Series 3 to move it into a different room. After plugging it in, it rebooted all the way to "Almost There, just a few minutes more" and just as it's about to be done...goes to "Welcome Powering up" And it will do this forever. However if I pull out one of the cable cards so there is only one in the bottom (doesn't matter which cablecard is in there), it boots up fine and works fine with one tuner. If I try to insert a second one, I get an immediate reboot and it starts looping again. Frustrating as I'll get out since it seems you're waiting forever for these to boot up. Anyway, just didn't know if someone knew anything about what the culprit could be, or should I just use one cablecard and be done with it? Thanks a ton in advance!
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
bshrock

The power supply may be failing ... And before Unitron says it, You should check the power supply for bad caps.

What happens if you put both cards in and disconnect the Coax? If it boots change both channels to an analog one then re-connect the Cable.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
bearcat2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
The power supply may be failing ... And before Unitron says it, You should check the power supply for bad caps.

What happens if you put both cards in and disconnect the Coax? If it boots change both channels to an analog one then re-connect the Cable.
Thanks for the suggestion. That is now on my agenda for tonight after work. Will get back to you!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
bearcat2000

Quote:

Thanks. Will try that tonight and get back. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
bearcat2000

Same result when I rebooted without cable plugged in...just kept looping after it almost gets through startup. Dang, I was hoping that would work.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Yep. Power supply. I had the exact same problem on one my Series 3 boxes. Exchanged cablecards thinking a card went bad. No help. Replaced the power supply (too lazy to bother with changing the caps) and that fixed it.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
bearcat2000

Thanks, time to pull the top off the case...question now is how lazy am I...just buy one from weak knees, or fix myself. Hmmm.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Soldering is fun.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Soldering is fun.
Until that first time you absent-mindedly pick up the soldering iron by the wrong end.

But to answer the OP, the most likely explanation is that the power supply has become marginal and the load of two cards instead of one is just enough to "voltage drop" it enough to make the CPU reset.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote