TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
TivoDoc

Bye- My Last SD DirecTivo Has Finally Died

It is a sad day in my household. After years of owning and hacking series 1 and 2 DirecTivo's, my last DSR704 kicked the bucket this weekend. I could probably piece together one last working unit with all of the dead ones in my closet but, it is time to move on.

I waiting 2 years for the new HD Tivo box (even buying a HD Tivo and paying $50/month connecting to cable) but the new THR22 box was too little too late. We've moved on to the HR family. They are not as slick, but they do talk to each other nicely for Whole-Home-DVR.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help over the years.

Peace,
Jeff
------------------------
DSR704 x 4
TivoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
dlmcmurr

Playing taps for your DirecTivo

TivoDoc,

Since I'm right now upgrading from 6.2a to 6.4a plus had to scrap one of my S2's, I feel your pain. (No more MRV and I have to learn mfs_ftp). But the reading I've been doing on here in the past few weeks tells me that the new direcTivo is so crippled that it's not worth having (not really any better than the S2) and the non-Tivo direcTV DVR's have finally come of age and aren't that bad. Too bad direcTV couldn't play well with Tivo and come out with a product comparable to the new standalone Tivo.

Dave

As of 11/2012 now with Dish (2 Hoppers/2 Joeys)
4 x S2 dTiVos zippered 6/06, 8/06, 1/07 & 8/07
TiVo'd since 03/2006
dlmcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmcmurr View Post
the non-Tivo DirecTV DVR's have finally come of age and aren't that bad.
Indeed. Feature wise, it has a little more than the THR22 (no Recently Deleted, though ) and is probably more well integrated with DirecTV.

The gui isn't too bad either. It's very similar toTivo's, but Tiv's is still better and friendlier.

I have the HR-24 and my old DSR-6000, which is being used by my son. It's too bad Direct TV couldn't play nice with Tivo.

-Mike
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Since I'm right now upgrading from 6.2a to 6.4a plus had to scrap one of my S2's, I feel your pain. (No more MRV and I have to learn mfs_ftp).
FWIW, I've been playing with the MovieLoader/tyftpd combo on 6.4a and it's pretty easy to set up and use.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
CoolT

Quote:
TivoDoc,

Since I'm right now upgrading from 6.2a to 6.4a plus had to scrap one of my S2's, I feel your pain. (No more MRV and I have to learn mfs_ftp). But the reading I've been doing on here in the past few weeks tells me that the new direcTivo is so crippled that it's not worth having (not really any better than the S2) and the non-Tivo direcTV DVR's have finally come of age and aren't that bad. Too bad direcTV couldn't play well with Tivo and come out with a product comparable to the new standalone Tivo.

Dave
Directv is probably afraid it is so much better than there HD-DVR.
CoolT is offline   Reply With Quote