Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

2 problems with Premiere XL

Hi all,

I've have 2 issues with my Premiere XL. One is easy to describe, one is a little more difficult. I'll do the easy one first.

1. If I'm recording 2 live shows, specifically sporting events, I'll start watching one, pause it at halftime, then go start watching the other one and when it catches up I'll resume the one that was at halftime. The issue is, when I go to play the first one, it ALWAYS reverts back to the beginning. I can't resume from where I paused! This happens when a show is currently being recorded. Am I doing something incorrectly?

2. If I'm watching a game (I'll use football for instance) and I want to fast forward between the end of a play and the hike of the next play, I used to be able to hit the FF twice and then just before they reach the line of scrimmage, click the reverse arrow so it's only going FFx1 and then hit play and it picked up right from where I wanted it to play. As you know, if I FFx2 and hit play it generally picks back up just moments after the place where I started before I fast-forwarded. Now when I use my strategy, about 50% of the time it works, the other 50% of the time it skips an additional 10-15 seconds. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong there or if there is a fix? Really, really weird. If I'm unclear on this issue please ask any questions and I'll elaborate.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3232 View Post
Hi all,

I've have 2 issues with my Premiere XL. One is easy to describe, one is a little more difficult. I'll do the easy one first.

1. If I'm recording 2 live shows, specifically sporting events, I'll start watching one, pause it at halftime, then go start watching the other one and when it catches up I'll resume the one that was at halftime. The issue is, when I go to play the first one, it ALWAYS reverts back to the beginning. I can't resume from where I paused! This happens when a show is currently being recorded. Am I doing something incorrectly?
Is this actually "live TV" or are you recording both games? I do this all the time during NFL season w/o any problems. Of course, there's been a s/w upgrade since the end of the most recent season so it is possible that they broke something.

Quote:
2. If I'm watching a game (I'll use football for instance) and I want to fast forward between the end of a play and the hike of the next play, I used to be able to hit the FF twice and then just before they reach the line of scrimmage, click the reverse arrow so it's only going FFx1 and then hit play and it picked up right from where I wanted it to play. As you know, if I FFx2 and hit play it generally picks back up just moments after the place where I started before I fast-forwarded. Now when I use my strategy, about 50% of the time it works, the other 50% of the time it skips an additional 10-15 seconds. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong there or if there is a fix? Really, really weird. If I'm unclear on this issue please ask any questions and I'll elaborate.
The best way to do this is to enable 30-sec skip. Generally, one skip and maybe one or two replays works very well for this.

Thanks,
Scott[/quote]

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

I am recording both games. If I switch from one to the other when I go back to the first it automatically starts from the beginning.

30 second advance won't work, it will likely jump ahead too far.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
bobrt6676

Quote:
I am recording both games. If I switch from one to the other when I go back to the first it automatically starts from the beginning.

Mine too. very frustrating. You can no longer use resume while a show is recording. It still works for programs that have finished recording. This was a feature I used a lot with sports. Sure would be nice to get this back to the way it was!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
As I said, they may have broken something with the latest release. I guess I'll find out on 9/9.

Quote:
That's why I added "maybe one or two replays", but you'd be surprised by how often the replay button isn't needed. This method was recommended by someone who had 8 DTiVos and recorded and "speed" watched every NFL game every Sunday.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

What do you mean by added one or two replays?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
tatergator1

By "replays" he means, the "Back 8 Seconds" button. As for the behavior you describe, how are you going back to the other game? Based on what I remember from doing something similar, is that the recording will jump back to the start if you return to it through the Now Playing list. The trick is to instead use the "Live TV" button to switch tuners to the other game. It should keep that pause point and you should be good to go.

Not sure if this is a bug or just how the Tivo software is intended to work, but this also happens back on my Series 2 DT.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

So here's what I do... I have 2 games recording at the same time. I'll start watching one and when I catch up I'll hit pause, go back to the My Videos page, click the second game, and hit play. When I catch up there, I hit pause, go back to My Video, select the first game I was watching, and no matter what I do it starts from the beginning. When I finally get back to the point where I was previously and begin watching again, when I catch up there I hit pause, go back to the My Videos screen, select the second game again, and it too starts from the beginning. The only time this does not happen is if the recording is complete.

Scott
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
So here's what I do... I have 2 games recording at the same time. I'll start watching one and when I catch up I'll hit pause, go back to the My Videos page, click the second game, and hit play. When I catch up there, I hit pause, go back to My Video, select the first game I was watching, and no matter what I do it starts from the beginning. When I finally get back to the point where I was previously and begin watching again, when I catch up there I hit pause, go back to the My Videos screen, select the second game again, and it too starts from the beginning. The only time this does not happen is if the recording is complete.

Scott
As the previous poster suggested, switch between recordings in progress using the live TV button to switch to the other tuner. It is not subject to the well documented "losing pause point" bug. It's also easier.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

But if I switch to live TV, won't it pick up where the game is at live? These are 2 games being recorded at the same time and I usually pick them up anywhere between 15-30 minutes into them.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
tatergator1

Quote:
But if I switch to live TV, won't it pick up where the game is at live? These are 2 games being recorded at the same time and I usually pick them up anywhere between 15-30 minutes into them.
No, the pause point will be preserved via this method.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

Interesting.. OK, I'll try it.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
When you first switch to live TV, you may be positioned at the current point but it is a simple matter to position to the beginning. Once you have everything going, the pause point will be remembered until the recording ends. I watch the two simultaneous broadcast games like that all the time. I'll speed watch one until I catchup with real time, pause it, switch tuners and do the same on the other game, swapping back and forth until I need to do something else for a while to let more of the games get recorded.