TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Life on Mars series finale "Life Is a Rock" (4/1/09)

OK, that. I did not. See coming.

But I like it.

I think.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
LeVich34

I dont think I do.... still processing it though.
LeVich34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

I caught the show while on vacation, though I had stopped watching earlier in the season. That I caught the series finale was a surprise, the ending even more so.

Kinda wish I had watched the rest of the season, knowing the show was to end. Sometimes I like one season shows. May have to rent it now to see how it all panned out. Is is worth it?
kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Okay now I need to watch the rest of the UK series to see if that's how it ends. Somehow I think they did this swerve in the US version only.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
fin416

Well Done

That is all I can say. It was very satisfying ending... I would recommend it to anyone.
fin416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Okay now I need to watch the rest of the UK series to see if that's how it ends. Somehow I think they did this swerve in the US version only.
Big time change.

The US version makes sense. The UK version doesn't (deliberately).

Watching the UK version, it was pretty cool; the two options were it was all a dream, or he was really there. In the end, they basically
Spoiler:
went a different route...it was something...else, something inexplicable.

I've suspected strongly all along that an American network would never go for that, and that whatever they came up with would be logical. I was kind of dreading it, in fact. But the more I think about this, the more it works for me. It's bizarre, it comes completely out of left field...and yet it fits. All the themes of the show play into it, all the relationships are thrown into sharp (and yet very different) focus. I'm betting that they knew from the beginning (or very near) that this is where they were ultimately heading, because it all points so directly to it in retrospect.

I'm going to enjoy watching the DVDs, and seeing how everything looks knowing the ending. I suspect it will have a lot of resonance that I just wasn't in a position to see the first time.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Big time change.

The US version makes sense. The UK version doesn't (deliberately).

Watching the UK version, it was pretty cool; the two options were it was all a dream, or he was really there. In the end, they basically
Spoiler:
went a different route...it was something...else, something inexplicable.

I've suspected strongly all along that an American network would never go for that, and that whatever they came up with would be logical. I was kind of dreading it, in fact. But the more I think about this, the more it works for me. It's bizarre, it comes completely out of left field...and yet it fits. All the themes of the show play into it, all the relationships are thrown into sharp (and yet very different) focus. I'm betting that they knew from the beginning (or very near) that this is where they were ultimately heading, because it all points so directly to it in retrospect.

I'm going to enjoy watching the DVDs, and seeing how everything looks knowing the ending. I suspect it will have a lot of resonance that I just wasn't in a position to see the first time.
I hated it!

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Peter000

So, I lost interest in this series around episode 6 or 7 of the run. Do I really need to watch the rest to understand the ending? (obviously without spoilers please).

I got lucky and for some reason it's being repeated this morning in the wee hours. So I set it up to record. EDIT: Nevermind. I was looking at the ABCW listing, which I don't get. I'll have to download the ep.

Last edited by Peter000 : 04-02-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
getbak

Well, that was certainly unexpected...I liked the British ending better.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
porges

Total Recall, anyone? Plus another PKD book that I remember...looked it up, it's
Spoiler:
A Maze of Death

Rule of multi-reality fiction: when a character doesn't know whether "a" or "b" is the real world, neither one is. See ST:TNG's "Frame of Mind" and a couple of others I can't remember right now.

I had not noticed last week that the FBI agent's name was Frank Morgan.

Did the entire audience get credit-punked? "Special Guest Lisa Bonet", implying one sort of ending, and then she's not seen at all?
porges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
Gai-jin

Just finished watching it. Not sure if I like it or not. I'll have to think some on it.

One question though, what happened to Sam's 2008 girlfriend, Maya? Did they cover that?
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
ahartman
Space for Rent

I hated this finale. I loved the show but they managed to wreck the entire season in < 15 minutes.

I would've much rather had it be unclear if it was a coma/real/etc. than the pile of crap they laid on us.
ahartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
Craigbob

I'm still processing it. Part of me loved it it was so out of the blue. Yet there is another part that feels a bit cheated by it... LIke I would've liked for him to stay in '73.

Bu ti do agree with you Rob, that this really does tie into the themes set along the entire show.

Strange; I feel this was a better series end than BSG's. It held together better and made more of a tie to the series than BSG's did for me. You can see that a lot of thought went into how they were going to end it.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
vman41
Omega Consumer

'Present day' Norris and President Obama versus 1973 Norris. Hmmm.

The one technical mistake:
Spoiler:
You can't have an interactive videophone conversation between Earth and Mars due to the speed of light.

The final segment could just be a dream.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porges View Post
Did the entire audience get credit-punked? "Special Guest Lisa Bonet", implying one sort of ending, and then she's not seen at all?
She had some hospital voice-overs.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
Family

Reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode where the 1960's space traveler had to stay isolated for x number of days and created his own reality.

But I liked it.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

I liked it. A satisfying conclusion that made the entire series worth watching. And caught me *completely* unawares.

Twelve hours later, and I'm still stunned, and still like it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
ADG
Allan

I thought it was a creative ending. Certainly not what I expected but mostly satisfying nonetheless. The writers did a good job of explaining everything. While I can't say I was thrilled with the ending, I don't know that I can think of anything better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #19
Sirius Black
Grey Warden Reject

So he was literally on mars? I watched the UK finale and was intrigued by it. This I didn't watch but would still like to know what happened. The entire show didn't click for me like the UK version. The UK version seemed more authentic.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm one of those who's on the fence with the ending. I generally don't like endings that are SO different than what happened during the rest of the show that it just seems added on. That's what I thought when I saw this, that the writers had to put something together quickly to end the series that they threw this up, rather than tie up all the pieces of him going back to 2008. I have the UK finale recorded (I didn't watch the whole UK version, but I figure I'll know enough to get the gist), and it will be interesting to compare.

But, the more I think about the ending, I thought it was way cool. I loved Harvey Kietel being Major Tom I was really surprised they used the Elton John tune rather than either Major Tom or Life on Mars at the end (I thought it could have been an copyright issued, but I recall they were using Life on Mars prior.

Anyway, I think I wll definitely get the DVD and see what the LOM team say about the story and ending. Overall, I'm sad to see this series go. Another interesting and different series that no one watches.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #21
Family

Yeah from watching the ending this one how at least a few more seasons of legs to it too. That's why the ending came out of left field. It was paced to last more than one season. Much better series than the crap that gets great ratings from CBS.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Very satisfying series finale

(I posting this before reading any other posts in this thread.)

Now THAT'S the way to end a series. Very satisfying conclusion. My first clue was when one of Vic's henchmen told Sam he looked like a spaceman. Tied up most loose ends very nicely...and I NEVER saw it coming that Gene was his father. Congrats to ABC.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
I hated it!
Really intelligent post....

You want to explain why?

XL4
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-jin View Post
...One question though, what happened to Sam's 2008 girlfriend, Maya? Did they cover that?
That was just a conjured up memory from the glitch. She was never "real".

XL4
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #25
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
The one technical mistake:
Spoiler:
You can't have an interactive videophone conversation between Earth and Mars due to the speed of light.

The final segment could just be a dream.
Not necessarily. Theoretically, if you can make a communication device using quantum pairs then there would be no time lag. Perhaps they have developed that by that time...
kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #26
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
1973 was the glitch. 2008 with Maya was the "intended" dream.

An a side note, the 2010 Annie could not be that old.
My 1973 mother was if anything older than Annie, and her 2009 self is younger than that.

Also, in one of the rooms at Hyde, there was a very modern Decora dimmer switch on the wall. I am just saying.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
barbeedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Was the little girl that kept appearing suppose to be Maya in 1973?

Hated the ending. What a cop out.

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
Gai-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
1973 was the glitch. 2008 with Maya was the "intended" dream.

My 1973 mother was if anything older than Annie, and her 2009 self is younger than that.

Also, in one of the rooms at Hyde, there was a very modern Decora dimmer switch on the wall. I am just saying.
So Maya had nothing to do with reality, that wasn't a character he brought with him from his memory of the future, just a computer generated fictional character?

I'd say annie in 1973 was 30ish, so 65ish or so in the 'present' scenes... maybe the years in betwen just didn't treat her well.
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
On the other hand, your mother actually, you know, existed and stuff.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
DirecTiVoTexas
Jeff - P1 TicketHead

I liked the finale. I was not disappointed. I will miss the show. But, I'm glad they wrapped it up instead of just ending it without resolution like so many other cancelled shows.
XBOX360 with HD-DVD
Gamertag = Ronin33
Keller, TX
DirecTiVoTexas is offline   Reply With Quote