TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
hairyblue
A good Man

Decided to go with Tivo instead of MythTV

I've been doing research on MythTV because I wanted to save the 100 bucks a month I'm paying for Satilite TV. I'd end up spending about $600 or $700 dollars buying the stuff to make a MythTV I'd want. And I may still have some hardware problems with drivers.

I'd had a DTV Tivo way back in 2003 and loved it. I even put a bigger Hard drive in it. The only reason I stopped using it was I got an HD TV and wanted HD programing. The Satilite HD-DVR wasn't as good as my Tivo, But at that time it seemed that the two companies were parting ways.

I started to think that maybe a Tivo would work well with my antenna. I checked into it and discovered that it works with the antenna AND will connect to my internet to receive my streaming Netflix that I like to watch. My plan was to use Netflix to add some variety to my free OTA stations.

I found the cheapest premiere for $59 dollars. I'm thinking about getting the one time lifetime subscription for $500. This would be cheaper than buying the stuff for the MythTV.

After reading some on the boards, I have some worries. I am buying an outside antenna to recieve my stations. I hope I get enough signal to get them. There is a thread on here with people saying that the Tivo Tunner is weak. I am in the process of getting my house built so I will not be able to test my signal until I move into the house in 90 days.

Also I got the cheaper Premiere and I hope I get 5.1 sound thru the HDMI cable.

I'm thinking I can just get the $10/mo subscription for the first month to see if I can get my networks. If I can, I can pony up the 500 bucks for the lifetime subscription.

I hope it all works out.
Hairy

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

"There is a thread on here with people saying that the Tivo Tunner is weak."

I have found that the Tivo HD receivers to be much better than any of the converter box receivers that I have tried. I have also found that the Philips DVR to have a better receiver than the converter boxes. But the Philips has such a unfriendly interface compared to Tivo, that it sits unpowered on the shelf. I don't have a HD TV.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If all you wanted was OTA HD, you could easily build a Myth box for $3-400. Not sure why you want to spend so much on a simple HTPC, but there is no need to do so. Hardware is cheap and plenty capable to handle most anything short of the latest games nowadays.

Tivo will be easier to use, but Myth is way more powerful (and time-consuming to setup properly). I've used both.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
hairyblue
A good Man

The MythTV box I wanted to build would be more than the Tivo with the lifetime subscription.

I like the EnergyStar rating that the Preiere has too.

If I can get all of my Network OTA channels, I'll be happy. I have my Netflix streaming to compliment the free OTA stuff so i think I'll be happy with the choice.

I already bought the $59 dollar Premiere. But I still have to buy an antenna to go with it. I'll need to wait until the house is done to test the signal strength of the OTA channels.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
dwit

With an outdoor antenna, unless you are in some type of fringe area, you should not have a problem with reception(in general, all things being equal).

If you are in or close to one of the major markets, you will probably get more ota channels than you know what to do with(although granted, most will probably be of no interest to you).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
After reading some on the boards, I have some worries. I am buying an outside antenna to recieve my stations. I hope I get enough signal to get them. There is a thread on here with people saying that the Tivo Tunner is weak. I am in the process of getting my house built so I will not be able to test my signal until I move into the house in 90 days.

Also I got the cheaper Premiere and I hope I get 5.1 sound thru the HDMI cable.
I have no trouble getting all my local stations using an attic UHF antenna pointed at the towers, 20 miles away. Unfortunately, it is impossible to really know how each situation will turn out, but if you already use OTA (over the air) with some other box or TV, then the experience should be the same or nearly the same. Or since you don't live there yet, if you could ask neighbors. Or, just take a TV with a digital tuner onsite and run it with an inverter (battery box or car) and stick a UHF hoop antenna on it and test it out. Otherwise, it is a "wait and see".

There is really only one Premiere model, just offered with two sizes of hard drive (reg and XL). The Premiere supports 5.1 Digital Dolby Surround sound through HDMI and through optical, so that will not be a problem.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
But I still have to buy an antenna to go with it. I'll need to wait until the house is done to test the signal strength of the OTA channels.
Antennaweb.org can probably help you out. Enter the address to which you will be moving and it will show you what kind of reception you might expect, what type of antenna you will need, and in which direction it needs to be pointed.
http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
hairyblue
A good Man

That web site says I'll get 3 channels as a conservative estimate. I hope a better antenna and the extra height will help. What signal strenght do you need to get the channel? Is it 80% or more?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
That web site says I'll get 3 channels as a conservative estimate. I hope a better antenna and the extra height will help. What signal strenght do you need to get the channel? Is it 80% or more?
I have little experience with the Premiere, but when I experimented with one, a signal strength of 70% was usually good enough. Anything below 65% resulted in occasional pixellation, drop outs, etc.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
wemetzger

I am good with anything over 40%. I use OTA in the Bay Area, and I get everything antenna web told me I will get, and the tuner seems just as good as my HD TV tuner- brand new Sony TV. Also, for what is worth, I have a cheap Radio Shack Antenna that I threw in the top shelf of a closet (2nd Story).
With the price hike in Netflix, I am dropping it. Maybe I'll go back someday, but I have seen most of what I want to see. I'll do Amazon movies, Red Box, and at least sign up for the free week of Hulu Plus.
wemetzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
hairyblue
A good Man

Well, I canceled DTV today and got to work on my plan. I had a 25 ft pole I put the antenna on and was able to get 30 channels. I even got the VHF FOX channel 10 at about 50 percent. I have one Tivo in the living room and a second one in the bedroom. I got the lifetime deal for both. They both updated immediately to the new software versions. I have a fast internet and both boxes seem fairly fast with the menus. The DTV menu speed is worse.

I like the way Tivo handles podcasts. I love the Netflix app. Plays very well. I watched some of the Super 8 movie and I got the HD and 5.1 sound. I also like that I can access the shows from either Tivo. This sort of doubles my storage space. I can record it once on one machine and just stream it to the other. Very cool.

So I'm now saving big bucks that I will have to put on my credit card to pay off the lifetimes I put on it. But once I pay it off, I get free TV. Good deal.

I'm a happy TIVO customer.