TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
nexus99

2 TVs... 1 Elite. Best strategy for viewing TV in 2 rooms... Dual HDMI?

Is there anything other than another premiere that I can use to stream to? I don't really want the expense of a another TIVo just to stream content to.

Or can you stream to a premiere that doesnt have monthly service.

Or will I have to do something like run a HDMI cable from room to room and do some wierd remote control extender thing?
nexus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It would need service, period. Whether monthly or yearly, thats just a payment plan.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Is there anything other than another premiere that I can use to stream to? I don't really want the expense of a another TIVo just to stream content to.

Or will I have to do something like run a HDMI cable from room to room and do some wierd remote control extender thing?

nope. You need to either run hdmi wires or some kind of video splitting system to stream to other tv.

as for controlling it...there are a few TiVo apps for smartphones which give you control via WiFi.

I am in same situation . I ended up just using kmttg to get vids off my TiVo downstairs and put on my pc and then use another CPU upstairs to stream to my tv. Not the best setup but allows me to watch in another room without another TiVo box.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
nexus99

That is what I was afraid of. I guess TIVO does have some signifigant functionality holes to fill.
nexus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

You can always get an HR34 from DirecTV. 5 tuners and you can pause/rewind live TV on any TV in the house
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
SugarBowl

I ran an HDMI to one room and component cables to the other room. I use the iPhone or the bluetooth slide remote to control the tivo from either room.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Rkkeller

I have my Premier hooked to 3 HDTV's two with 50' HDMI cables and hdmi splitter. A bit of a pain to run the cables but works fine. They are cheap on Amazon but get semi decent ones if going for the 50' run. I don't like the wireless transmitting devices.

I bought 2 extra remotes for about $20 each and this rf remote extender with extra transmitter both from Amazon and things work great. No need to carry a remote around and one is at all locations.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Its like having the TiVo in the room plus your using the same peanut remote your used to. You don't have to buy everything at once if cost is a factor, I bought a couple things here and there until it was all done.

Last edited by Rkkeller : 02-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
woozy_one

Filler post to get me to 5 so I can post links....
woozy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
woozy_one

Here's what I used:

HDMI over Cat5e/6 w/IR extender

Don't forget the splitter:

HDMI splitter (displays on both tv's at the same time)

The initial setup was a little cumbersome...mostly with getting the IR working, but ever since then it's been flawless. Using the network cables will allow for much longer runs than with HDMI, plus it's easier to fish network cables through walls.
woozy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
brianfuchs

Definitely no need to pass IR over cables anymore. We did that with very expensive equipment, and the results were not always reliable.

The absolute best Remote Control Extender is available at Amazon. Search for "Next generation Remote Control Extender". The thing looks like it belongs at a 99 cent store, but believe me - it's pure genius.

It turns (almost) any remote control into an RF remote, but not the way the old fashioned ones used to. In this one, you simply replace one of the AA or AAA batteries with an RF transmitter. The genius is the way the transmitter "listens" to the electrical noise produced on your remote's circuit board when you press a button. It works flawlessly, and with zero lag.

I say it works with almost any remote, but there are exceptions. Most noticeably, the Harmony remotes place their batteries too far away from the circuit board for the transmitter to sniff out the signal.

This device works with ANY TiVo peanut, though. It will do exactly what you want. We used these for years when we had three Series 2 DTivos in our media closet.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
DocNo

Arrow

The Tivo slide remote is Blutooth - dunno what the range through walls would be like, but I've had mixed results with remote extenders in the past.

And it's on sale for $40 at Amazon - ordered one juts to try out the keyboard, if nothing else!

Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
brianfuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
The Tivo slide remote is Blutooth - dunno what the range through walls would be like, but I've had mixed results with remote extenders in the past.

And it's on sale for $40 at Amazon - ordered one juts to try out the keyboard, if nothing else!

The Slide seems to have a good deal of button lag. "Good deal" meaning you will notice it all the time. I would never replace my Peanut with the Slide because of this. We only use it for Season Passes. It's also much smaller than the Peanut and weighs much more, so it takes getting used to.

I've had terrible experiences with extenders, too, but The Remote Control extender I mentioned from Amazon is really THE way to go if you love the look and feel of the traditional peanut, and want to control from other rooms. There are endless glowing reviews for the thing.

And for the record, I have the Slide and two different sets of the Next Gen extender (two different frequencies, so I can control two different sets of equipment).

EDIT - just noticed that Rkkeller posted a link to the extender. I had no idea we were talking about the same thing. See? They just work!
TiVo 4. Premiere XL

Last edited by brianfuchs : 02-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can use the ipad/iphone Tivo app, it has a remote control and its free from the apps store. You just need to have Network Remote Control enabled.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfuchs View Post

EDIT - just noticed that Rkkeller posted a link to the extender. I had no idea we were talking about the same thing. See? They just work!

Just another vote for the Next Generation Remote Extender. It is like magic compared to every other unit I have ever tried to use. You will like it!
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
steinbch

Quote:
I've had terrible experiences with extenders, too, but The Remote Control extender I mentioned from Amazon is really THE way to go if you love the look and feel of the traditional peanut, and want to control from other rooms. There are endless glowing reviews for the thing.
wow. I've had exactly the opposite results with the slide remote. I've found it to be MUCH faster reacting than any peanut or harmony remote. I've stopped using my harmony one because of how much quicker and comfortable my slide remote is. Do you have a USB cord between the dongle and TiVo? I've found that a short cable (even six inches) can make a huge difference if you're having problems with the slide remote connectivity.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
Jimf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
Just another vote for the Next Generation Remote Extender. It is like magic compared to every other unit I have ever tried to use. You will like it!
Very cool.
Jimf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
The Slide seems to have a good deal of button lag. "Good deal" meaning you will notice it all the time. I would never replace my Peanut with the Slide because of this. We only use it for Season Passes. It's also much smaller than the Peanut and weighs much more, so it takes getting used to.
My slide is perfect. Instantaneous response. It was hard to get used to, I had gotten so used to the peanut over the years. Now it's second nature. And instant.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
ppeewang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have my Premier hooked to 3 HDTV's two with 50' HDMI cables and hdmi splitter. A bit of a pain to run the cables but works fine. They are cheap on Amazon but get semi decent ones if going for the 50' run. I don't like the wireless transmitting devices.

I bought 2 extra remotes for about $20 each and this rf remote extender with extra transmitter both from Amazon and things work great. No need to carry a remote around and one is at all locations.

Its like having the TiVo in the room plus your using the same peanut remote your used to. You don't have to buy everything at once if cost is a factor, I bought a couple things here and there until it was all done.
what kind of splitter did you get ?
ppeewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
drewdog

I've got this

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Acoustics-...ds=ir+repeater

and

http://www.amazon.com/CE-Labs-AV400C...tion+amplifier

One TiVo

Five rooms

Lots of cheap component cables off ebay. Standard TiVo remotes. One service bill.

I did have to replace one of the really cheap component cables. Over a long run, the lack of shielding created ghosted images on one tv. You can use any 3.5mm stereo extension to add length to the IR receivers. Extra eyes and 3.5 splitters were cheap too.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
ppeewang

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdog View Post
I've got this

One TiVo

Five rooms

Lots of cheap component cables off ebay. Standard TiVo remotes. One service bill.

I did have to replace one of the really cheap component cables. Over a long run, the lack of shielding created ghosted images on one tv. You can use any 3.5mm stereo extension to add length to the IR receivers. Extra eyes and 3.5 splitters were cheap too.

Thanks! how long were your longest component cables? I'm looking at potential 75 foot run from basement to upstairs, I tried the trip lite B136-101 but it is not working that good, picture constantly skips. Was thinking of getting long component video cables.
ppeewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
drewdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeewang View Post
Thanks! how long were your longest component cables? I'm looking at potential 75 foot run from basement to upstairs, I tried the trip lite B136-101 but it is not working that good, picture constantly skips. Was thinking of getting long component video cables.
By using the distribution amp, your distances won't matter much. What I found is that its ALL about shielding. I don't really know the specs. Most of the specs on cables like that are lies anyway. I'd say buy ones that the video leads at least look about like rg59 in thickness.

I think my longest one is 50 foot. But it was the 25 footer that I had to trash due to ghosted images.

I looked through my invoices, This is the one I trashed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cmple-Componen...cables+25+feet
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI: It's rare but it's possible for the cable company to flag a program in such a way that it can not be played via component. I think it's mostly only ever used for PPV, but a few years ago the CCI bit was rarely ever used too. When a show is flagged this way it will only play via HDMI with a valid HDCP connection. It's a way for providers to eliminate the "analog hole". Also I'm pretty sure all videos played via the Netflix app are flagged this way as well, so you probably can't watch Netflix in the other rooms via this system.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
drewdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
FYI: It's rare but it's possible for the cable company to flag a program in such a way that it can not be played via component. I think it's mostly only ever used for PPV, but a few years ago the CCI bit was rarely ever used too. When a show is flagged this way it will only play via HDMI with a valid HDCP connection. It's a way for providers to eliminate the "analog hole". Also I'm pretty sure all videos played via the Netflix app are flagged this way as well, so you probably can't watch Netflix in the other rooms via this system.

Dan
All my stuff plays fine, Has anyone on here ever experienced limitations over component?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdog View Post

All my stuff plays fine, Has anyone on here ever experienced limitations over component?
I have when recording from the component out to a DVD burner. But it is the same issue as the composite output. If the hdmi source on the TVs are not on the TiVo hdmi source input, the TiVo protection will kick in and say it is not allowed. So it shows a blank screen with a small message on it. To get around it I run the TiVo output through an hdmi switch and I put it on an empty input if I need to burn something to disc for my GF. Then the TiVos don't see an hdmi connection and it sends the video and audio out without any issue to record.

Whether the component out or composite, it is the same issue with the S3 boxes and the S4 boxes with six HDTVs I've tried it with as well as a three brands of standalone DVD burners.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
drewdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have when recording from the component out to a DVD burner. But it is the same issue as the composite output. If the hdmi source on the TVs are not on the TiVo hdmi source input, the TiVo protection will kick in and say it is not allowed. So it shows a blank screen with a small message on it. To get around it I run the TiVo output through an hdmi switch and I put it on an empty input if I need to burn something to disc for my GF. Then the TiVos don't see an hdmi connection and it sends the video and audio out without any issue to record.

Whether the component out or composite, it is the same issue with the S3 boxes and the S4 boxes with six HDTVs I've tried it with as well as a three brands of standalone DVD burners.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
That makes sense, I've experienced this with several DVR's (moxi, etc) with the DVD burners. However, I think what the OP and the others were asking here would not pertain to that. Good info for everyone though.