TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
hooper

Tivo HD Sound Issues

I have a Tivo HD hooked up to a Sony AV "Dream Center" Receiver via optical cable. I have had this same setup for the past year or so without issue until about a week ago. I started getting popping noises when switching tuners or going to the tivo menu etc. Basically anytime the audio signal would change. I also noticed that the Tivo sound effects were slightly off their normal sound (a little hollow or tinny sounding). First time this happened I rebooted the Tivo and things were back to normal. Now about a week later, I am having the same problems. This time the TV reboot didn't help. Watching live tv seems to be OK. I am going to check all the connections in a bit, but just wondering what you all thought. Really hoping it is not the AV receiver going bad....

Edit:
Just turned the AV reciver off and then back on and things returned to normal...
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
I have a Tivo HD hooked up to a Sony AV "Dream Center" Receiver via optical cable. I have had this same setup for the past year or so without issue until about a week ago. I started getting popping noises when switching tuners or going to the tivo menu etc. Basically anytime the audio signal would change. I also noticed that the Tivo sound effects were slightly off their normal sound (a little hollow or tinny sounding). First time this happened I rebooted the Tivo and things were back to normal. Now about a week later, I am having the same problems. This time the TV reboot didn't help. Watching live tv seems to be OK. I am going to check all the connections in a bit, but just wondering what you all thought. Really hoping it is not the AV receiver going bad....

Edit:
Just turned the AV reciver off and then back on and things returned to normal...
This type of problem has been reported before, but there is no single answer as some have found a cable connection problem, an amp problem etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I occasionally hear the pop noises described above. I've always thought it was something on the broadcast end because I only seem to get the pops when there is a transition from commercials to show or vice versa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
HerronScott

Steve,

Are those pops in the audio or relays in your reciever as the audio switches modes (Dolby to stereo for example going to commercials and then back again when the show resumes)? The latter would be normal depending on your reciever model.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
dconway

Also getting tinny sound with TivoHD. Thought it might be my new Panasonic Plasma

I'm also having an occasional tinny sound. I get it usually when I'm browsing through stuff in the tivo menus and getting the standard ping noises. Occasionally, though, I"ve heard it on some programming.

I replaced a new TV (panasonic P50VT20) thinking it was the TV but am again getting it with the same setup. So I'm starting to suspect the Tivo HD. We don't watch much else, but I should probably watch stuff from the other sources to see if I ever hear it. I just fear that it's a rattling speaker with the resonant frequency the same as the tivo ping noise.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to diagnose this?
dconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Popping When Navigating Menus

wrong forum, apologies for incorrect posting...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
wrong forum, apologies for incorrect posting...
Is "Tobasco" when you marinate tobacco in Tabasco sauce?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is "Tobasco" when you marinate tobacco in Tabasco sauce?
yes! how'd you guess?!?! it usually helps ward off smart @ss forum posters, but obviously failed this time...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote