TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
buscuitboy

A sign that IP Set-top boxes are coming soon?

I just saw the new TiVo Premiere 4s. From what I can tell, its basically a Premiere XL4 (4 tuners) with a smaller hard drive/recording capacity. I also heard that the upcoming IP Set-top boxes won't totally work with the older (2 tuner) Premieres, correct? They will allow you to only "playback" material from 2 tuner Premieres.

If so, I therefore wonder if TiVo is gearing up to release these IP set-top boxes I have heard about since last May. This additional (& cheaper) DVR product seems like a move to line up their hardware offerings more with the release of the IP set-top box.

I hope it comes soon.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I just saw the new TiVo Premiere 4s. From what I can tell, its basically a Premiere XL4 (4 tuners) with a smaller hard drive/recording capacity. I also heard that the upcoming IP Set-top boxes won't totally work with the older (2 tuner) Premieres, correct? They will allow you to only "playback" material from 2 tuner Premieres.

If so, I therefore wonder if TiVo is gearing up to release these IP set-top boxes I have heard about since last May. This additional (& cheaper) DVR product seems like a move to line up their hardware offerings more with the release of the IP set-top box.

I hope it comes soon.
Many recent threads on this. The Mini(Ip Set top box) will be able to lock a tuner from a regular premiere after a software update after launch. Launch is scheduled for fall
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Well, I'm glad to hear that these upcoming IP boxes will be able to use a tuner from a regular Premiere after all. However, you say "lock" a tuner. I wonder if this means it has to be kept locked once engage and can only be turned on/off directly from the IP box itself or will it maybe be "released" after a certain period of time of inactivity. Or maybe the Premiere its coming from is the "master" box and can be used when needed.

I have two (dual tuner) Premieres upstairs and depending on price, might like to get one of these IP boxes for a bedroom and/or rec room in the basement. However, these basement rooms are not used frequently at all. Really only when family members or guests are in town for short periods of times (weekends, holidays, etc). Also occasionally for ourselves, but I was hoping that the upcoming IP box could simply "borrow" a tuner when needed & on occasion, but then it would still be easily usable from the main Premiere units on the main floor at anytime (which is most of the time) & without having to unlock or release it from the IP box itself.

Any idea on how it will totally work or will we simply have to wait?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

I suggest you read through the other threads on this.

I'm in too much of a hurry to link right now, but "The TiVo Mini Lives" is the title of the most popular one.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Yeah, the "Mini Lives" thread is definitely a better choice, but this is the Reader's Digest version:

It will be able to use a tuner from a regular Premiere, one day. But this won't be the case at launch. (needs software update at some point in the future.) It will be able to stream recordings from all Premieres on Day 1, but a 4-tuner box will still be mandatory for setup (initially, until the update is available).

Until said future update, "locked" tuner literally means dedicated for use by the Mini(s). A 4-tuner Tivo becomes a 3-tuner Tivo. It won't dynamically borrow and release until the future update. That's why a 4-tuner box is required initially... a 2-tuner box becoming a 1-tuner box would be a bad customer experience.

That being said, with regard to tuner activity, the Mini is expected to have some kind of standby state and/or be able to detect whether or not the TV is on from the video outputs.

Until the future update, tuner control is done from the host Tivo. You can dedicate 0 to 2 tuners to Minis. But this is moot in your case if you don't have a 4-tuner box.

The overall theme here for you here is waiting for the future update, and to check out the "Mini Lives" thread.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
buscuitboy

Cool. thanks for the "mini" info :-) I now see how they have a cheaper 4 tuner TiVo. Basically, the old Elite (now XL4) with a smaller hard drive and less recording capacity. I might be willing to get one of these in order to fully integrate better with these "mini" boxes.

One of my current (dual tuner) Premieres is lifetimed. The other is month to month with a commitment till about March 2013. I'll have to call TiVo and see if I can upgrade this month-to-month box to a Premiere 4 so I can potentially use it with a mini.

I had even originally thought about getting an older Series 3 HD box for about $50 that I see on Craigslist and/or ebay. Then try to $99 lifetime it after a few months that I see others here have done. However, that would still require an ongoing cost of $8/month to Comcast for their cable card. Threfore, I have put that plan on hold since these "mini" boxes would eliminate this potential cable card monthly fee & seem to be a better option in the long run. YEAHHH!!! :-)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I'll have to call TiVo and see if I can upgrade this month-to-month box to a Premiere 4 so I can potentially use it with a mini.
Tivo let me do this, but I had to buy it from them. They gave me the option of month to month with no commitment for $14.99 MSD or $12.99 MSD with a year contract.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
buscuitboy

Cool. Now if Comcast will ONLY implement their OnDemand feature for my Premiere and in my area (Atlanta) like I have seen they are SLOWLY rolling out, I would be all set and not need ANY Comcrap equipment. Life would be grand :-)