TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
fizikisto

4 vs XL4 difference? 5.1?

I'm currently deciding between a Tivo 4 and and a Tivo XL4. I was looking at the specifications page on the tivo website, and it says under THXsound and video certification:

Premiere 4: Not THX Certified
Premiere XL4: THX Certified, Dolby 5.1

The way it looks on the actual chart is ambiguous. Does that mean that the XL4 is the only tivo that can output 5.1 surround sound? If so that's very surprising to me.

Also, as far as THX certification goes, has anyone directly compared the sound/picture quality of the XL4 vs. the regular 4? My guess is that the XL4 and 4 probably share the same hardware/software (other than hard drive) but that the XL4 is the only one to go through testing. Probably nobody outside of tivo knows for sure, but maybe some people have done a head to head comparison? if so, can you tell the difference?

P.S. I was a directivo user back in the day....finally had enough with my crappy comcast DVR. It feels good to know that i'll be "coming home."
fizikisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even the old TiVo boxes from 2001 with DirecTV output Dolby Digital 5.1. Dolby Digital is an old legacy audio format. All of the Premiere line can also output the newer Dolby Digital Plus format.

The Premiere 4 and the Premiere XL4 can output the same audio. They just did not pay to get the THX certification for the Premiere 4 model.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
lew

AFAIK the 2T hard drive and included Glo remote is the only real difference between the units.

I don't recall reading anything which suggests the THX certified units have anything different then the similar units which tivo decided not to pay for THX certification.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

OP- you may want to revise your title.

It is misleading as you are asking about the 4 vs XL4 and not the XL vs XL4.