TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
spepin

Thumbs up Fantastic deal!

So, a while back, one of my S2 boxes (a 240) that had been upgraded to 160 hour bit the dust. To make matters worse, I couldn't find the original HDD to get it back going again. Didn't really need the long recording time as this was one of my early units and had long been relegated to the family room TV (I also have two S3 HD's, and a S2 DT all purring along happily). Anyway, after quite a while without a TiVo in the family room, and paying the low rate that had been grandfathered onto that box just so I wouldn't lose it, I decided to start looking into my options. Did I want to buy another replacement drive kit at around $120? Buy an older drive and re-image it? Buy a replacement S2 box? I decided to give eBay and Craigslist a look-see. After not being too impressed with the exaggerated asking prices on eBay (even for old 240's), I ran across a listing on Craigslist for a BRAND NEW 540 -- for $10! Before going out to pick it up, I called to confirm the price because I thought it might be a typo, but it wasn't -- $10! The box had been given to this lady as a gift, and she never hooked it up. Somehow, she managed to lose the remote, but it came with a used remote. Everything else was still sealed, and even the TiVo had the plastic on the front and not a spec of dust on the fan blades. I'm in the process of performing the initial setup as I type this.
spepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepin View Post
So, a while back, one of my S2 boxes (a 240) that had been upgraded to 160 hour bit the dust. To make matters worse, I couldn't find the original HDD to get it back going again. Didn't really need the long recording time as this was one of my early units and had long been relegated to the family room TV (I also have two S3 HD's, and a S2 DT all purring along happily). Anyway, after quite a while without a TiVo in the family room, and paying the low rate that had been grandfathered onto that box just so I wouldn't lose it, I decided to start looking into my options. Did I want to buy another replacement drive kit at around $120? Buy an older drive and re-image it? Buy a replacement S2 box? I decided to give eBay and Craigslist a look-see. After not being too impressed with the exaggerated asking prices on eBay (even for old 240's), I ran across a listing on Craigslist for a BRAND NEW 540 -- for $10! Before going out to pick it up, I called to confirm the price because I thought it might be a typo, but it wasn't -- $10! The box had been given to this lady as a gift, and she never hooked it up. Somehow, she managed to lose the remote, but it came with a used remote. Everything else was still sealed, and even the TiVo had the plastic on the front and not a spec of dust on the fan blades. I'm in the process of performing the initial setup as I type this.
Why would you pay for service on a old non HD TiVo, you can pick one up with lifetime service for about $150 on E-Bay, or did you forget to tell us the unit you just got had lifetime Service.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
shwru980r

I think he had the $6.95/month rate, but I agree it's still not worth it on an S2. He could pay off a used lifetime S2 in under 2 years at $6.95/month.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
rifleman69

not a good deal, you got hosed.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
spepin

I guess you didn't read the part about replacing a dead S2? Here are my options:

1 - Buy brand new S2 (don't care about HD on this particular TV) - $10 + $6.95/mo
2 - Repair existing S2 - $40 (if I don't have an old drive - $120 to buy upgrade drive) + $6.95/mo
3 - Buy old S2 W/lifetime - $150
4 - Buy new Premiere - $150 - $400 + $14.95/mo
5 - Buy new Premiere W/lifetime - $650 - $900

In this case, considering my immediate cash outlay, I'd say #1 was the best pick. If I went the route of #3, then I'd still be getting a 7 or so year old DVR with who knows how much life left on it. True, if it lasted almost 2 years, then I'd be money ahead, but then again if it didn't then I would have thrown money away.

BTW, I should note that this TV is just a family room TV -- mainly for the kids to record cartoons, and other "kid" shows. I do have S3 HD units on my living room and master bedroom TVs, and another S2 DT in my oldest kid's room. So, this is by far not my primary TiVo.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the part about replacing a dead S2? Here are my options:

1 - Buy brand new S2 (don't care about HD on this particular TV) - $10 + $6.95/mo
2 - Repair existing S2 - $40 (if I don't have an old drive - $120 to buy upgrade drive) + $6.95/mo

In this case, considering my immediate cash outlay, I'd say #1 was the best pick. If I went the route of #3, then I'd still be getting a 7 or so year old DVR with who knows how much life left on it. True, if it lasted almost 2 years, then I'd be money ahead, but then again if it didn't then I would have thrown money away.

BTW, I should note that this TV is just a family room TV -- mainly for the kids to record cartoons, and other "kid" shows. I do have S3 HD units on my living room and master bedroom TVs, and another S2 DT in my oldest kid's room. So, this is by far not my primary TiVo.
TiVo has an offer of $399 for the TP with Lifetime and the TiVo wireless adapter for people that have only a series 2. Link www3.tivo.com/promo/buy-premiere/s2upgrade/?&tsn=5400001xxxxxxxx&WT.mc_id=EM6055 Just enter your own TiVo service number.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo has an offer of $399 for the TP with Lifetime and the TiVo wireless adapter for people that have only a series 2. Link www3.tivo.com/promo/buy-premiere/s2upgrade/?&tsn=5400001xxxxxxxx&WT.mc_id=EM6055 Just enter your own TiVo service number.
So let me ask this. I don't have a Tivo account but if I bought a Tivo2 off of craigslist (there are plenty in the $20 range). Register it and pay for one months service. Could I get in on this deal or do older accounts only qualify?
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
So let me ask this. I don't have a Tivo account but if I bought a Tivo2 off of craigslist (there are plenty in the $20 range). Register it and pay for one months service. Could I get in on this deal or do older accounts only qualify?
The people i know that got this offer had a Lifetime Series 2 in their TiVo account, I don't know anybody that has an active Series 2 under monthly. I don't know what considerations TiVo uses for this offer and I doubt anybody on this form (except maybe a TiVo employee) would know.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
spepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Every one of my TSN's that I plug into the "See if you qualify" box comes up saying it's invalid. If this is for people with only S2's, then I don't qualify since I also have two S3's.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Every one of my TSN's that I plug into the "See if you qualify" box comes up saying it's invalid. If this is for people with only S2's, then I don't qualify since I also have two S3's.
Only is correct, just having a Series 2 and no Series 3/4 on your account for this deal.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
I WANT MORE

Nobody say a word. I was able to get this deal. I currently have an S3, an HDXL, and a Premier all on LT. Shhhhhhhhhh.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
trubel

But I want the Quad tuner. TIVO give me that deal and I may think about upgrading.
trubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
trubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
not a good deal, you got hosed.
I agree, hosed!
trubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

I agree with you. I was a good deal. I just did the same thing basically, buying a S2DT on ebay to replace my 240. I paid 12 bucks plus shipping. For me however I was able to preserve my upgraded HDD and put it in the new (to me) box.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote