TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
dlmcmurr

What about 110 Sat on SD?

I have 4 Series 2 direcTivos that I'm being forced to upgrade to 6.4a to get locals back. I had been noticing for a while that when rebooting I would get an error acquiring the sat info. It was that it was unable to get a signal from the 110. After upgrading one to 6.4a, it took three times through the dish setup before it skipped the 110. I replaced the 4x8 multiswitch a while back with a powered model and that seemed to help for a while. I then took out the multiswitch and connected one Tivo directly to the LNB to test, but that didn't help at the time. Oh, I have a 7 year old oval triple LNB dish. Is it time to find a new LNB? The problem isn't too bad during the night, but it's aggravating after a power blink during something you were recording, especially if you aren't around to tell it to go ahead and watch the available channels. Otherwise, you lose about 15 minutes as it times out the menus.

Another issues I've noticed is that 6.4a will sometimes reboot when it loses signal during a storm. Then it has a really hard time acquiring the sat data since that's what provoked the reboot in the first place, so we're back to taking a while to get back online.

Thanks in advance for info,
Dave

As of 11/2012 now with Dish (2 Hoppers/2 Joeys)
4 x S2 dTiVos zippered 6/06, 8/06, 1/07 & 8/07
TiVo'd since 03/2006
dlmcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

It shouldn't be a problem. There's nothing on the 110║W satellite anymore for residential customers. And no Guide Data is beamed from there.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
gsjenkins

The same thing happens to me. Exactly as you have stated. I have just learned to deal with it, unhappily. Sometimes, when I am watching a program that I have moved between Tivos with Movieloader, I get a random reboot. I have taken to moving shows from a 6.4a unit to an old 6.2a show server and watching from that. 6.2a works much better than 6.4a, and I can move AVIs from my laptop to the server with ease. I really don't like 6.4a much. Technology shouldn't go backwards as time progresses.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
dlmcmurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjenkins View Post
The same thing happens to me. Exactly as you have stated. I have just learned to deal with it, unhappily. Sometimes, when I am watching a program that I have moved between Tivos with Movieloader, I get a random reboot. I have taken to moving shows from a 6.4a unit to an old 6.2a show server and watching from that. 6.2a works much better than 6.4a, and I can move AVIs from my laptop to the server with ease. I really don't like 6.4a much. Technology shouldn't go backwards as time progresses.
Which "same thing" are you speaking of, or do you mean both the startup issues and the rebooting during a heavy rain.

TiVo'd since 03/2006
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
gsjenkins

Rebooting while trying to acquire satellite information. I get to 96 percent and reboot. On the third boot up, it stays running. I didn't replace the multiswitch or wire direct from the LNB to the unit. I just learned to live with it and know its limitations. I had not equated the rebooting to heavy rain until you mentioned it. Heavy rain is pretty rare this time of year in rural east Texas. I'll pay closer attention as Isaac moves through.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
dlmcmurr

Actually, rebooting during acquiring satellite data was not what I was referring to in this post. I hadn't noticed it at the time, but have since added another thread on that topic here. I was referring to the system stopping and waiting for user response when it failed to acquire data from 110. On one system I was able to keep repeating the guided satellite setup several times until it completed without error, then it saved the results and hasn't done that again. But it still wants to fail at 96% or so with a crash and reboot. What it is about how it nearly always works on the third try? Only once has it failed thrice and worked on the fourth.

Dave

TiVo'd since 03/2006