TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
JeffreyF

KMTTG and Two TiVos

I have two TiVo Premiers (let's call them TiVo 1 and TiVo 2) that I frequently transfer shows from one to the other using a crossover cable. This allows me to see the recordings from TiVo 1 in the What's Playing list for TiVo 2 and transfer them.

The process itself works very well as the recordings transfer over with no conversion required.

The time consuming part is having to individually select each recording for the Transfer. For one or two recordings it would be OK, however, there are times when I have hundreds of recordings.

It would be nice if there was the ability to select a folder or select multiple recordings first followed by the transfer process.

Is there a way for KMTTG to facilitate a TiVo to TiVo transfer through the computer?

If not, would this ever be a future feature?

Is there another way to copy recordings across TiVos that is quicker?

Jeffrey
JeffreyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
lrhorer

There is no point in using a crossover cable. First of all, TiVos have auto MDI/MDIX capability, so a straight cable would work. Secondly, simply plug both TiVos along with everything else on your LAN into a switch, and transfers can then occur without the need of plugging and unplugging anything.

Yes, KMTTG can act as an agent to transfer multiple files from either TiVo to the server and then a simple script using curl and pyTivo can transfer all the files to either TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
JeffreyF

Thank you for the reply and information. Does an existing script exist for pyTivo to do the transfers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is no point in using a crossover cable. First of all, TiVos have auto MDI/MDIX capability, so a straight cable would work. Secondly, simply plug both TiVos along with everything else on your LAN into a switch, and transfers can then occur without the need of plugging and unplugging anything.

Yes, KMTTG can act as an agent to transfer multiple files from either TiVo to the server and then a simple script using curl and pyTivo can transfer all the files to either TiVo.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:

No need for a script, just set the second TiVo as the destination and check the "Push" box in kmttg.

The question I have is: Why are you doing this? Especially since you can stream between Premieres. Are you taking the destination Premiere to a different location?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No need for a script, just set the second TiVo as the destination and check the "Push" box in kmttg.
Assuming he has pyTivo and kmttg running on the same server. I've never played with that feature, mainly because I do a lot of manipulation of the downloaded files before pushing to a TiVo.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Assuming he has pyTivo and kmttg running on the same server. I've never played with that feature, mainly because I do a lot of manipulation of the downloaded files before pushing to a TiVo.
FYI it doesn't have to be the same server. In kmttg config you can provide the pyTivo host name (defaults to localhost) which can either be a name or IP, so it can be a different host.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI it doesn't have to be the same server. In kmttg config you can provide the pyTivo host name (defaults to localhost) which can either be a name or IP, so it can be a different host.
And the two TiVos don't even have to be on the same network.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
JeffreyF

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And the two TiVos don't even have to be on the same network.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Perhaps I presumed too much. I inferred from the fact the location of the pyTivo.conf file was requested that it had to be on the same server, or at least a directory shared from the pyTivo server. OTOH, the box stays grayed out when I select the remote server. Is it something I am doing wrong, then? (Not that I need it to work, but I am curious.)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
moyekj

The pyTivo.conf doesn't have to be the file actually being used by pyTivo but just a copy should suffice. I'll admit though I've not tried 2 separate servers and currently in kmttg you can't specify an alternate port for pyTivo either so there are limitations and may not actually work, but then again nobody's specifically requested it either. Not looking at the code right now but I think greyed out "push" means pyTivo.conf file could not be read.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote