Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #241
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I really don't think Walt/Heisenberg would ever kill Hank.

Walt thinks he's too smart to ever get caught. If he does get caught, he'll either take what's due to him (jail), or he'll kill himself first.
You're factually wrong. Again.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #242
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
When Hank was looking at the one picture of Mike and got interrupted during the meeting were we supposed to notice something in the picture?
I thought he would see Mike with his laptop or something like that. Something that was not at the house when they searched it.

I'm with you, I thought there was more to that scene than Hank just tuning out because of his obsession.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #243
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Do you really think it should be so obvious to Hank just yet? I'm not sure.

Plus, right or wrong, we all tend to categorize people into a certain "box". Hank may have to be hit smack over the head with this before he's able to take Walt out of the "nerdy, smart teacher brother-in-law" box and put him into the "meth kingpin Heisenberg" box. That has to be a huge mental leap to make. Almost inconceivable, from his point of view.
I was only about half serious, but I do think we're at the point where it's straining credibility. On the one hand, Hank is this dogged, sharp detective who's obsessed with this case. On the other hand, his brother-in-law is the guy he's looking for and Walt's throwing up red flags right and left and Hank seems blind to them.

The built-in justification in the show, as you stated, is that it's so out of character for how Hank views Walt that he'd never suspect him, and that's fine and it's gotten us to where we are now. But the Hank we've gotten to know is too smart not to be adding things up and Walt clearly isn't the guy Hank once thought he was (based on what Hank actually knows about Walt and putting all the other stuff aside).

If Hank made one of those giant corkboards filled with all of the clues he's gotten about/from Walt (like they did in The Wire and Homeland), little Holly could have figured it out by now.

So something has to change in the Walt/Hank dynamic, and maybe that's what we'll see on Sunday. At some point it's going to be Walt vs. Hank; it's just a matter of when that happens.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #244
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I was only about half serious, but I do think we're at the point where it's straining credibility. On the one hand, Hank is this dogged, sharp detective who's obsessed with this case. On the other hand, his brother-in-law is the guy he's looking for and Walt's throwing up red flags right and left and Hank seems blind to them.

The built-in justification in the show, as you stated, is that it's so out of character for how Hank views Walt that he'd never suspect him, and that's fine and it's gotten us to where we are now. But the Hank we've gotten to know is too smart not to be adding things up and Walt clearly isn't the guy Hank once thought he was (based on what Hank actually knows about Walt and putting all the other stuff aside).

If Hank made one of those giant corkboards filled with all of the clues he's gotten about/from Walt (like they did in The Wire and Homeland), little Holly could have figured it out by now.

So something has to change in the Walt/Hank dynamic, and maybe that's what we'll see on Sunday. At some point it's going to be Walt vs. Hank; it's just a matter of when that happens.
But why would Hank ever ever begin to make a corkboard of clues he's received from/about Walt? Hank has no frame of reference to even begin to suspect Walt at this point.

Now if you said he should put together a corkboard about Fring and Heisenberg, and all the various clues and evidence he has about that case, you would think that looking at all those things together he'd start being suspicious of Walt.

But as viewers, we're seeing everything, so we know how all this stuff is happening right under Hank's nose. But if you look at it realistically from Hank's standpoint, there isn't that much he actually knows that would point to Walt. He know's Walt disappeared for a few days and claimed to be in a "fugue state." He knows that Walt came into a bunch of money and claimed he won it playing blackjack. He knows Walt no longer works at the high school. He knows that Walt and Skylar are having marital problems and that Skylar cheated on Walt with Ted Beneke. He knows that Walt and Skylar bought the car wash and that Skylar works there every day, but that Walt is rarely there. He knows that Walt recently "leased" himself and Junior new cars, and that Walt recently bought himself a new watch.

It would be quite a leap for Hank to suspect Walt based solely on that info. As far as Hank is concerned, there is an explanation for Walt having a bunch of money, so him being flashy with that money is not a red flag. The only real clue is that Walt is a brilliant chemist and doesn't seem to have a real job right now.* I think there would have to be more before Hank suspect's Walt.

*Has Walt provided a cover story for Hank and Marie for what he does all day every day?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #245
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I think Walt would kill Hank without batting an eye....
I agree....look how he's been using him what with the crocodile tears in his office to plant the bugs and all...he doesn't care about his bro-in-law at all any more...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #246
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
*Has Walt provided a cover story for Hank and Marie for what he does all day every day?
Of course Hank has no reason to start the clue corkboard, but if he did, the clues would start to add up.

The gambling thing alone should really shake Hank's confidence in who he thinks Walt is. That's almost as out of character for the guy Walt is supposed to be as being a meth cooker/dealer/murderer. Plus, there have been some big lies told to Hank/Marie before the truth is eventually told (meaning Hank knows both Walt and Skyler are liars and both have been acting pretty strange for a long time). Walt had the 2nd cell phone. Walt has engaged in some bizarre behavior around Hank, like crashing his car intentionally. Walt knows Jesse. Walt knew Gus. Walt doesn't seem to have anything to do with the car wash, which is supposedly their primary source of income. Walt is a frustrated genius chemist who seemingly has a lot of time on his hands, and the blue meth apparently has to be made by a brilliant chemist. How many of those are in ABQ? Why did Skylar insist on having the kids live with Hank and Marie? Did they get a good reason for that? The cars, the watch, and I'm sure many other things I've left out. I'm not talking about the stuff that we know and Hank doesn't. Just saying it would be quite a list of the stuff Hank does know and put together it would add up to something. Not necessarily Walt being a meth dealer but Hank, better than most people, should know when something strange is going on.

I don't think Hank is a fool not to know at this point, but we have to be getting close to the point where the light goes on.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #247
Hank
AC•FTW

All they (meaning the DEA) has to do is link Mike or the Legacy 9 to Jesse somehow, and then Hank will make the leap to Walt. I don't know how they'll link Mike to Jesse... Maybe through the extermination biz?

BTW, I read on a BrBa wiki that Mike, Walt, and Jesse bought outright the exterm biz from Ira(?). I'm not sure that's the case. I thought they bought a percentage of the biz fro Ira, but not the whole thing.

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #248
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I think Walt would kill Hank without batting an eye.
Nothing to do with Hank but,

Spoiler:
I think Walt's 'breaking bad' will be 100% complete this Sunday.
"this Sunday?" The series is done until 2013.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #249
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
"this Sunday?" The series is done until 2013.
Wrong....this season (2012) finale IS this Sunday...check your TDL...

You must be snortin' meth or sumthin....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #250
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I agree....look how he's been using him what with the crocodile tears in his office to plant the bugs and all...he doesn't care about his bro-in-law at all any more...
I get the sense Walt has not really liked Hank all that much for decades now.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #251
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Yet he has hiding spots all over the city and desert that only he seems to know about. I'm not sure why he didn't use any of them.
Other than the place where he disposed of his laptop, I don't recall any other location that would have been a good place to stash stuff that wasn't part of a drug drop-off route. And the place where he disposed of his laptop might have been too far out of the way for him to run to and make a clean getaway.

Some of the places might have been good meeting spots because people could come and go, but perhaps not good for leaving stuff there on its own for a longer period of time.

I think Mike wanted a place that nobody else knew about, not anyone involved in any drug distribution or anyone who had ever met with him at any of the meeting spots. The car served as a way to create a brand new storage location that only he knew about. And it could be moved around every so often to keep it from being found.

He didn't anticipate the DEA catching on to the lawyer, and thus probably figured he would have had enough heads up to get to his stuff and run before major travel locations were being watched. So the benefit of not having to run out into the middle of nowhere outweighed the risk of the airport being difficult to get to.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #252
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Walt knew Gus.
Hank only knows that Walt thanked Gus one time for bringing free chicken when Hank was shot. So while that meant that Walt technically knew of Gus, as far as Hank knows, the DEA had a stronger relationship with Gus than Walt did.

While I think the clues given so far such as the "W.W." initials are fun nods to the audience of, "See how close we can get to Hank almost figuring things out", I don't think any of them really add up to anything that any reasonable detective ought to be connecting together. Hank saw things about Gus that the others in the DEA didn't, but I don't think even he can be expected to connect what he has seen of Walt together.

Even if Hank didn't know Walt personally, I don't think he would have had any reason to suspect him. Most of the clues had explanations that would not point to any particular individual. For example, Gale included a poem by Walt Whitman in his notebook. Now, we know that Walter White was Gale's "Walt Whitman", but from the notebook alone there wasn't any reason for Hank to start looking into all people with "W.W." initials. He had no idea whether Gale knew someone with the initials "W.W.", considered someone who didn't have the initials "W.W." to be his Walt Whitman, or just really liked Walt Whitman a lot.

And since Hank does know pre-Heisenburg Walt, he would not even begin to suspect that Walt could have undergone such a significant transformation without some serious evidence. Walt not only has a reputation with Hank, but so does Heisenburg. While Hank might consider that there was a remote possibility that Walt could have become early Season One Walt, what he knows of Heisenburg would put him way out of what he considers to be Walt's league.

Heck, even as a viewer I expected Walt to say much closer to Season One Walt than he did. I came into the show not knowing that the plan was to make him go completely from one end of the spectrum to the other, so my impression of the show was that it would turn into a "cook-of-the-week" show, with Walt finding different low-budget ways of making his product each episode. I was pleasantly surprised that the show ended up evolving far more than that, but I can totally see how even the thought of Walt being Heisenburg would be completely absurd to Hank.

Add to that the fact that Walt is the one who put him back on Heisenburg's trail, and there is absolutely no reason to suspect him at this point.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #253
Hank
AC•FTW

I emailed my mortgage re-fi attorney whose last name is Sahl with this as the subject: "Better call Sahl!".

He didn't get it! Apparently he's not only never seen BrBa, but in the years it's been on the air, nobody else has ever mentioned it to him.

He said it sounds like a plumber. I sent him a link to Saul's website: http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #254
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
No, it could have happened after Mike left. Somebody broke into the car, or threw rocks at it.
You would have to believe someone was throwing rocks from the inside of the car to break the passenger side window from the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Todd will either bring down Walt, or create a new set of headaches for him.
All those notes he was taking will end up being evidence.

Quote:
I think it was just to show Hank's complete obsession with the case, since he totally tuned out during the meeting. This obsession is what might just keep him from realizing that Heisenberg is Walter White.
No, when Hank was looking at all the photos of Mike, something was tickling his subconscious. What that something was will eventually come to the surface and Hank and the viewers will see it.

Does anyone have screen grabs of the photos? Perhaps we could figure out what clue they give.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #255
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
All those notes he was taking will end up being evidence...
I totally agree with this. I think that was the whole point of the writers bringing Todd into the cook. Not that he is going to take over, but he'll get pinched and lead the DEA closer to Hank.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #256
pmyers

btw...What is Walt's plans once he gets the 9 names? It's pretty difficult to kill 9 people while they are in prison.

Last edited by pmyers : 08-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #257
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
btw...What is Hank's plans once he gets the 9 names? It's pretty difficult to kill 9 people while they are in prison.
Walt.

But I agree. I don't think Walt was planning to kill them though, was he? He could have Saul visit them and make new hush money arrangements.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #258
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
I totally agree with this. I think that was the whole point of the writers bringing Todd into the cook. Not that he is going to take over, but he'll get pinched and lead the DEA closer to Hank.
+1.

Imagine if Todd gets pinched for petty theft or burglary and he flips his relatively minor charge for "I can give you Heisenberg". Wow, that would suck.

Try my new
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #259
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
But I agree. I don't think Walt was planning to kill them though, was he? He could have Saul visit them and make new hush money arrangements.
Walt didn't seem too thrilled about paying them. I don't see him continuing Mike's plan. Especially when it was the execution of that plan that led the feds to Mike.

Quote:

+1.

Imagine if Todd gets pinched for petty theft or burglary and he flips his relatively minor charge for "I can give you Heisenberg". Wow, that would suck.
Some scribbles of chemistry notes in Todd's handwriting doesn't seem like great evidence against Walt. If Todd gets arrested and starts talking, he could certainly say a lot that would lead to Walt's arrest, but his notes would just be a minor bit of evidence that indirectly (at best) points to Walt.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #260
pmyers

Quote:
...Some scribbles of chemistry notes in Todd's handwriting doesn't seem like great evidence against Walt. If Todd gets arrested and starts talking, he could certainly say a lot that would lead to Walt's arrest, but his notes would just be a minor bit of evidence that indirectly (at best) points to Walt.
Maybe not to Walt but it could lead closer to Heisenberg...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #261
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:

Maybe not to Walt but it could lead closer to Heisenberg...
FYI: Walt and Heisenberg are the same guy.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #262
tiams

Quote:
btw...What is Walt's plans once he gets the 9 names? It's pretty difficult to kill 9 people while they are in prison.
Not if you are in prison too. And we know Todd has relatives in prison.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #263
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

The way I see it, Walt will use Todd as the replacement for Mike. He will task Todd with killing the 9.

I thought for sure we were going to get a flashback later showing us Walt talking to Lydia (back when they were going to kill her) and getting the names of the 9. It's inconceivable to me that Walt never thought of that until just now.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #264
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
FYI: Walt and Heisenberg are the same guy.
MIND BLOWN.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #265
tiams

Quote:

Some scribbles of chemistry notes in Todd's handwriting doesn't seem like great evidence against Walt. If Todd gets arrested and starts talking, he could certainly say a lot that would lead to Walt's arrest, but his notes would just be a minor bit of evidence that indirectly (at best) points to Walt.
Gale's notebook led them to Madrigal (because of a piece of industrial equipment) which led them to Gus. And also, Hank saw the initials W.W. there. So Todd's notes will surely have something that will tangentially lead to Walt. Because this is T.V.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #266
john4200

Quote:
You would have to believe someone was throwing rocks from the inside of the car to break the passenger side window from the inside.
What are you talking about? The passenger window was not broken. There was some blood spatter on it.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #267
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
And also, Hank saw the initials W.W. there.
I don't have time to find the clip, but when Hank found the "W.W." in Gale's notebook and asked Walt about it, I could swear that Hank was asking Walt in a very tentative but still incredulous way "...and who has the initials 'WW'??" and looking right at Walt. Now maybe Hank was only joking/teasing Walt, but it really seemed to be more than that. It was a tense moment until Walt thumbed through the notebook to find the Walt Whitman quote. I'm sure that Hank has already linked the WW in the notebook to Walter White, but instantly dismissed it because of who he thinks Walt is (or isn't). I think this will be one of the major clues that Hank hits on right as he finally figures out Walt is Heisenberg.

btw, Hank found the Madrigal info on a LPH napkin in Gale's apartment, not in Gale's notebook.

Try my new
Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #268
danterner
Not it!

I predict that Walt's undoing, however it happens, will be due to something directly related to his ego and hubris. It won't be due to good investigative work on Hank's part, or because another person (Jesse, Todd, Saul, whomever) gets caught, flips, or screws up. Walt will screw Walt.

Arguably this event already happened back at the dinner table two seasons ago when Walt convinced Hank that Gale couldn't have been Heisenberg and that Heisenberg must still be out there. Hank had been ready to move on. But I think another hubris-related event is yet to come. (We might have just seen it last episode in his killing of Mike, which was definitely ego-related, IMHO). Could be that Mike's murder leads to Walt's outing. In that case, I'd expect the next episode (the final of the mini-season) to be Hank's realization (making a great season-ending cliff hanger) and next season to be all cat-and-mouse and fallout, with the flash-forward from the beginning of this season falling into place at about the 5th episode next season and the final few episodes devoted to his destruction.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #269
fmowry

Quote:
Not if you are in prison too. And we know Todd has relatives in prison.
I'd imagine getting 9 people in prison offed when you are white and not named Gotti is pretty tough. It ain't like Landry is an Italian white guy anyway.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #270
markymark_ctown

Quote:
I emailed my mortgage re-fi attorney whose last name is Sahl with this as the subject: "Better call Sahl!".

He didn't get it! Apparently he's not only never seen BrBa, but in the years it's been on the air, nobody else has ever mentioned it to him.

He said it sounds like a plumber. I sent him a link to Saul's website: http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

omg that site is lol funny - especially the saul commercial on the home page.

how can i do it? because i care...

Last edited by markymark_ctown : 08-30-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: .
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote