TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Johncv

Could Apple’s patent win help TiVo?

Ok, legal minds, could Apple’s win help TiVo?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did you have something particular in mind? I don't see any connection whatsoever.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Maybe they could learn how to not spend 5 years in court for one case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
crawlernight11

Quote:
I think he is talking about either one of this article.
How to win patent infringement case?
bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-06/tivo-apple-yahoo-coca-cola-intellectual-property.html
Apple win against Samsung may help TiVo to win against Cisco.
Or
Apple to acquire TiVo?
news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57495598-37/apples-set-top-box-cure-a-tivo-acquisition/
I hope Apple will acquire TiVo. I would love to see my TiVo powered by iOS.
crawlernight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would hate for Apple to acquire TiVo. I've gotten by just fine for decades without owning any Apple products. No reason to change now. Although Apple buying TiVo would be the only compelling reason I could see for me to buy an Apple product for something.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
jrm01

I agree that TiVo would not be better if acquired by Apple. I also have never bought an Apple product which I consider proprietary and over-priced. My only exception was 3 years ago when I bought the Apple stock which was not proprietary and certainly was not over-priced!
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

TiVo is old tech, I don't see Apple going that way.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
shwru980r

If apple owned Tivo, they would charge 99 cents per recording.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would hate for Apple to acquire TiVo. I've gotten by just fine for decades without owning any Apple products. No reason to change now. Although Apple buying TiVo would be the only compelling reason I could see for me to buy an Apple product for something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I agree that TiVo would not be better if acquired by Apple. I also have never bought an Apple product which I consider proprietary and over-priced. My only exception was 3 years ago when I bought the Apple stock which was not proprietary and certainly was not over-priced!
Same here never bought anything from Apple. I did load itunes on one computer way back when - removed it within a week without buying anything. I just don't see the need for anything they sell at the price point they sell it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think I should start up a news service consisting of speculative articles on which companies I think are NOT going to buy TiVo. It would be a short list. Ralston-Purina? Givenchy? Jiffy Lube? I've certainly lost count of the number of different companies named as potential TiVo suitors in content-free articles over the past 12+ years. Apple makes no more sense than the rest of them - perhaps less. Apple doesn't want to be in the free content business, they want to sell you content.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
jamesvail

If I was TiVo I would be very nervous about Apple's entry into cloud based
storage of tv shows.

This is truly the future,not filling up a hard drive that can break ,recordings you have to setup,etc. I'm not saying physical hard drive storage is going away
completely but mostly it will go away.

I could easily see an Apple product where you just go to the cloud and any show that has already broadcast is available to you on your tv,computer,tablet,
phone immediately.No need to set up a recording and of course if you wanna watch live tv fine.No need for a hard drive that can fail like some of my TiVo 's
have.

This will be the end of TiVo as we know it.Yes Apple will make some money on storage and they will sell more video too.
jamesvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvail View Post
storage of tv shows.

This is truly the future,not filling up a hard drive that can break ,recordings you have to setup,etc. I'm not saying physical hard drive storage is going away

I could easily see an Apple product where you just go to the cloud and any show that has already broadcast is available to you on your tv,computer,tablet,
phone immediately.No need to set up a recording and of course if you wanna watch live tv fine.No need for a hard drive that can fail like some of my TiVo 's
have.

This will be the end of TiVo as we know it.Yes Apple will make some money on storage and they will sell more video too.
Well I for one have no interest in paying Apple for everything I want to watch on TV and I have no interest in "live" TV - way to many commercials.

Also my guess is video content producers have long enough memories to make sure Apple can't control their content like Apple did with music providers. So the chances of Apple or any other provider actually being able to provide me access to content at a cost comparable to my DVR are slim to none.

Plus Cloud storage only sounds good if you have rock solid, fast, unlimited Internet access otherwise it doesn't workout so well.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 08-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
jamesvail

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well I for one have no interest in paying Apple for everything I want to watch on TV and I have no interest in "live" TV - way to many commercials.

Also my guess is video content producers have long enough memories to make sure Apple can't control their content like Apple did with music providers. So the chances of Apple or any other provider actually being able to provide me access to content at a cost comparable to my DVR are slim to none.

Plus Cloud storage only sounds good if you have rock solid, fast, unlimited Internet access otherwise it doesn't workout so well.
Well one way or another cloud based storage of tv shows is coming and sooner then I expected. You may have heard that Apple is negotiating already with
networks,etc.

I can stream Netflix just fine without a fast connection .

I think Apple's cloud cost will be cheaper then buying a TiVo and paying a yearly
or lifetime subscription. In fact , it may be significantly cheaper .

Only time will tell but if I was a betting man I would say we will see our shows in the cloud pretty soon.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
jamesvail

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
TiVo is old tech, I don't see Apple going that way.
Yes this is very true . Cloud based storage of tv content is the future whether
folks like it or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Well one way or another cloud based storage of tv shows is coming and sooner then I expected. You may have heard that Apple is negotiating already with
networks,etc.

I think Apple's cloud cost will be cheaper then buying a TiVo and paying a yearly
or lifetime subscription. In fact , it may be significantly cheaper .

Only time will tell but if I was a betting man I would say we will see our shows in the cloud pretty soon.
Well cloud storage already exists from Apple, Amazon, Google, Hulu, Netflix, TNT TV, infinity, Vudu, & others, so if it is going to be here or not isn't the question.

The question is how much is it going to cost, how is it going to work (who controls it), and what quality is it going to be.

With TiVo I get the same quality as the original broadcast and I am in control of how long the show remains available to view. Nothing else provides that now and I don't expect will anytime soon.

As far as costs go right now something like Hulu+ is fairly cheap but forces me to watch advertising, something like Netflix makes you wait for years to watch the show, and something like Apple costs an arm and a leg as you have to buy each show.

The bottom line is the only way to obtain the ability to view all the first run shows near when they are first aired at anywhere near the cost of recording them on a TiVo is if your pay TV provider provided the service. Maybe Apple will become an actually TV provider and you will be able to subscribe to some Apple service without having another pay TV provider, I don't know - what I do know is what ever Apple does will not be cheap and certainly will not be cheaper than using my TiVos to record OTA content.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
innocentfreak

Quote:
Try fast forwarding and rewinding compared to a local copy. It is nowhere near the same experience and this is why I don't stream. I do stream TiVo to TiVo since the experience is the same regardless of which TiVo I am on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
If apple owned Tivo, they would charge 99 cents per recording.
Videos are $1.99/ea

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Videos are $1.99/ea

Dan
Is that for SD and HD? The going rate from other sources like Amazon, Xbox Live, PSN, and VUDU is around $1.99 for SD episodes and $2.99 for HD episodes. Which I think is at least a dollar too high.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
unitron

Too bad TiVo didn't have the bucks to buy up Apple shares big time when it was only $70 a pop a few years ago.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Did you have something particular in mind? I don't see any connection whatsoever.
Sorry could not get back until now. Why did this turn into a bash apple thread?

The connection I see is that if Samsung loss because they believed there was nothing wrong in building a knock-off product. TiVo in the same place with Cisco and other making “knock-off” DVR. Could TiVo use this case as a precedent to go after Cisco and other and demand payment for copying TiVo?

HDTiVo
Old 08-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Too bad TiVo didn't have the bucks to buy up Apple shares big time when it was only $70 a pop a few years ago.
I brought 200 share at @ $53.00 or $10,600. It split 2 to 1 @ $81.00 ending up with 400 share which at closing today is now $675.68 per share or $270,272.00.

Just had a hunch that iPod would be a hit. Now if only sold the house....

HDTiVo
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #22
jcthorne

Quote:
storage of tv shows.

have.

That service already exists. Prior art and all that. Its called Amazon VOD.

Minor details about licence agreements dictating timing between air date and available date and which shows the service has licence too aside.

We don't need Apple to 'invent' yet another device to charge us 99cents per item for a service we already have.

Besides, with the growing problem of limited monthly bandwidth, the whole cloud thing for video is growing thin on ROI.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
jamesvail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
That service already exists. Prior art and all that. Its called Amazon VOD.

Minor details about licence agreements dictating timing between air date and available date and which shows the service has licence too aside.

We don't need Apple to 'invent' yet another device to charge us 99cents per item for a service we already have.

Besides, with the growing problem of limited monthly bandwidth, the whole cloud thing for video is growing thin on ROI.
With a TiVo box ,can you watch your recorded shows way from the house? You can if you have a Slingbox too.

I can see a Apple box which is a cloud based dvr( no need for a physical hard drive ),part Slingbox where you can watch all of your shows anywhere in the world with a Internet connection .There will be no need to setup recordings,just
pull up the menu and pick your favorite show which starts immediately. There will be a way to download shows onto yourt computer,tablet so you can watch
with no Internet connection.

I think this is what Apple wishes to do and I think they will be successful at it.

And I think this way will be cheaper then the TiVo route which is quite expensive
On a yearly basis .

Last edited by jamesvail : 08-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
atmuscarella

Quote:
With a TiVo box ,can you watch your recorded shows way from the house? You can if you have a Slingbox too.

I can see a Apple box which is a cloud based dvr( no need for a physical hard drive ),part Slingbox where you can watch all of your shows anywhere in the world with a Internet connection .There will be no need to setup recordings,just
pull up the menu and pick your favorite show which starts immediately. There will be a way to download shows onto yourt computer,tablet so you can watch
with no Internet connection.

I think this is what Apple wishes to do and I think they will be successful at it.

And I think this way will be cheaper then the TiVo route which is quite expensive
On a yearly basis .
You are describing what we all want: access to anything we want to watch, on any devise we want to watch it on, anywhere we want to watch it, at anytime we want to watch it.

The problem is content isn't free and having it delivered to us isn't free.

The content is owned by dozens of different companies all of which are attempting to maximize their profits while retaining control of their content.

The delivery systems are also owned or controled by dozens (hundreds ?) of companies, we have, movie theaters, solid media (DVD & blu-ray) Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts, traditional cable, Satellite, and newer services such as FIOS, U-verse, & Streaming via the Internet.

Apple doesn't currently produce or control any of the content and as far as we know does not have any new or special way to deliver it or own or control any of the current deliver systems.

Maybe Apple will get a significant number of content providers to allow them to package and sell content in a new way that does allow us access to anything we want to watch, on any devise we want to watch it on, anywhere we want to watch, at anytime we want to watch it at a reasonable cost. That would be great - I just don't believe it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #25

I see a lot of people in here seem to think Apple is all about selling things for 99¢ in order to make money.

That's not their game at all. They hardly make any money at all from the sales of music, TV shows, movies and apps.

It amounts to something like 2% of revenue and almost no real profit.

They are a hardware company. They make all of their money from hardware. The ability to buy songs and movies and apps for a few bucks is really just a way for them to make their hardware more appealing.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
Johncv

Quote:
Sorry could not get back until now. Why did this turn into a bash apple thread?

The connection I see is that if Samsung loss because they believed there was nothing wrong in building a knock-off product. TiVo in the same place with Cisco and other making “knock-off” DVR. Could TiVo use this case as a precedent to go after Cisco and other and demand payment for copying TiVo?
This thread has veered off course, let return to my question please.

HDTiVo
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
morac
Cat God

I think Apple could learn from TiVo.

Apple won it's first court case against Samsung. There will be years of appeals and patent invalidation requests, just like there was with the TiVo vs Dish suit.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
I see a lot of people in here seem to think Apple is all about selling things for 99¢ in order to make money.

That's not their game at all. They hardly make any money at all from the sales of music, TV shows, movies and apps.

It amounts to something like 2% of revenue and almost no real profit.

They are a hardware company. They make all of their money from hardware. The ability to buy songs and movies and apps for a few bucks is really just a way for them to make their hardware more appealing.
It's well known that Apple gets 30% of all apps they sell in the app store. Not certain if it's the same for music, but it's certainly the case for e-books.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #29

And what I'm saying is that the 30% they get is a tiny sliver of their total revenue. Apple's app/music/ebook/movie sales are not there to make them big bucks.

It does generate profit, but compared to their hardware sales, it's practically irrelevant.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
tootal2

Why do people buy apple computers? there bad at gaming and ceton cards dont work in macs.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote