TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
mr.unnatural

Tivo gets an extender!

Saw this over at The Missing Remote (which is, ironically, an HTPC website). Tivo's IP-STB extender has just been announced for fall release. Here's a link. There's a link to Tivo's full press release in the article. It appears that this is only going to be offered to GCI subscribers, but it will be interesting to see if Tivo expands the offering to the general public at a later date. I'd be curious to see if this device can link to more than one Tivo on a home network.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 08-24-2012 at 07:02 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Looks like all they did was regurgitate Dave's posting.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-08/...ristened-mini/

There is already a thread Here:
The Tivo Mini lives....http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=491537

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

I don't visit the Premiere forum so I missed it. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
wco81

So this is now vapor right? We're well past Fall.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
It was pushed back until 2013.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
wco81

I Googled Tivo Extender and this thread was one of the hits.

A lot of the other ones are from earlier in the year when they announced it. So if Tivo officially announced the delay, Google can't seem to find a web page about it.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
I Googled Tivo Extender and this thread was one of the hits.

A lot of the other ones are from earlier in the year when they announced it. So if Tivo officially announced the delay, Google can't seem to find a web page about it.
TiVo never officially announced a release date so they didn't officially announce a delay.

One of the things TiVo needed to get out is the update which is just now rolling out to the priority signups. As a result with the holidays, there is just not enough time to get it out before the end of the year.

There are also rumors they wanted to change how the live TV function worked so that would require another update.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
There are also rumors they wanted to change how the live TV function worked so that would require another update.
It seems counter intuitive to use a Tivo to watch live TV. Maybe they should have released the Mini without the live TV functionality.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

If a Tivo is the only tuner attached to a TV monitor then there's no reason not to use it for live TV. I think most people would prefer to watch current news and not something that's been recorded, unless it's a special newscast they'd like to keep. A DVR isn't the answer to all TV viewing.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
If a Tivo is the only tuner attached to a TV monitor then there's no reason not to use it for live TV. I think most people would prefer to watch current news and not something that's been recorded, unless it's a special newscast they'd like to keep. A DVR isn't the answer to all TV viewing.
I and many of my friends may not be home for the 6:30p network news, I record this news and can see it in less that 20 minuets when I do get home that night (I have a season pass that keeps only one news program so if I don't get to watch that night the next night it will be replaced with that night news), I can skip stories that I have no interest in, and of course the commercials.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
mr.unnatural

I was thinking more along the lines of late breaking reports, such as watching the status of Sandy on The Weather Channel or any other real-time event. I had to keep tabs on what Sandy was doing in my area and watching a recording that's a couple of hours old wasn't going to cut if. There are times when you need live TV. If it's not urgent, then a DVR is fine. Some things simply cannot wait.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
ah30k

The fact of the matter is that TiVo people tend to look down upon anyone watching anything that hasn't been previously set up as a season pass or at least programmed 24 hrs in advance.

They think people who watch live don't deserve to have a TiVo.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
The fact of the matter is that TiVo people tend to look down upon anyone watching anything that hasn't been previously set up as a season pass or at least programmed 24 hrs in advance.

Well it does seem fairly foolish to pay for a TiVo and then use it to watch the "live" broadcast of a prerecorded show. I have friends that watch many shows the same night they are broadcast but they don't watch them "live".

For actual shows that are being broadcast live for real (sports & some news) there are reasons that actually watching live makes some sense but even for local news I do the same as lessd does. Most nights I get to it around 10-15 minutes after it starts, but it is on my schedule not theirs and I don't have to waste my time with commercials or stuff I don't care about.

If someone wants to pay for a TiVo and still suffer the pain and inconvenience of "live" TV that's their business but I sure don't.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't think TiVo people look down on those who watch Live TV, but I do think they wonder why anyone with a TiVo would bother watching Live TV. It seems like an unnecessary habit. You're using the tuner anyway, so why not set it up to record? That way if something unexpected happens that interrupts your routine you wont miss anything. There are no negatives to setting up everything as a recording, so why not do it? (other then late breaking news, but that's pretty rare in the scheme of things)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I watch live TV (news) in the morning before work (no time to invest in anything recorded), and use it as background noise when I'm on the PC.
Occasionally I will also use live TV (PBS) to fall asleep to.

I don't remember a lot of talk about Tivo people looking down on others who watch live TV when they own a Tivo.
I think most of the statements I have heard had been made in jest.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Winter begins in about 3 weeks, so we're not well past Fall, we're still in it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
shwru980r

Quote:
Most TVs have tuners in them. I would just run the cable directly to the TV and watch the local channels that way rather than waste a tuner from a Tivo.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Winter begins in about 3 weeks, so we're not well past Fall, we're still in it.
Don't hold your breath. TiVo may release them to MSOs by then but it's highly unlikely we'll see them available to retail before winter starts.

Dan
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
badtuned

Not that we ever see any of these extenders here in UK, but just wondering if people have been happy with these kind of extras from tivo?
badtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
lrhorer

Quote:
If a Tivo is the only tuner attached to a TV monitor then there's no reason not to use it for live TV.
There are many, many reasons not to do so, the top of which is not wasting one's time.

Quote:
I think most people would prefer to watch current news and not something that's been recorded
That would mean I would have to tie myself to the schedule set by the station, which is nonsense. Real news doesn't wait for 17:00 to happen, and although there are sometimes live feeds from events which are protracted in time, in general the news is no less "live" at 18:30 than at 17:00.

Quote:
unless it's a special newscast they'd like to keep.
I have never kept a news report.

Quote:
A DVR isn't the answer to all TV viewing.
That's utter nonsense. First of all, there is nothing which prevents the user from watching a program while it is recording. Secondly, while I do on rare occasions watch the weather live, even that is better served by being recorded. If I am ten minutes late (by the TV station's ridiculous notion of "late", not mine) turning on the TV, I don't want to have missed the weather.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of late breaking reports, such as watching the status of Sandy on The Weather Channel or any other real-time event.
So once every thousand years you need to watch something live?

Quote:
I had to keep tabs on what Sandy was doing in my area and watching a recording that's a couple of hours old wasn't going to cut if.
So the storm might have suddenly jumped 200 miles to the west? You sat there without going to the bathroom or making yourself a sandwich the entire time, glued to your TV? You would have done much better to spend your time making preparations, and nothing reported on the TV was going to likely be of any immediate significance to you.

Quote:
There are times when you need live TV. If it's not urgent, then a DVR is fine. Some things simply cannot wait.
In 54 years, I have never seen anything on TV that was urgent in terms of a necessary response on my part, and as I said before, if it is urgent, it isn't going to wait until 17:00 to happen. Generally speaking, TV news is no more current than a newspaper, and in terms of actual applicability to the individual viewer, it is never so. It is only more sensational, which is not relevant.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that TiVo people tend to look down upon anyone
I can only speak for myself, but I don't look down on someone for wasting their time. I just cannot understand why they ever would.

Quote:
watching anything that hasn't been previously set up as a season pass or at least programmed 24 hrs in advance.
I don't have very many season passes, and I only fairly rarely ever set up a program. Most of the recording is selected by the TiVos, not by me. That's the point. Why waste my time doing something the TiVo can do far, far better than any human? It's like hiring a manual laborer twice your size and strength to dig a ditch and then telling him to sit down while you dig the ditch yourself.

Quote:
Quite the opposite. I think that having paid good money for the TiVo, they deserve to enjoy its benefits, rather than foolishly ignore them. Why do something 1000 times when a superior result can be obtained without ever doing it even once? Why unnecessarily tie ones' self to someone else's schedule? Why buy in to the nonsense of "prime time"? Why burden ones' self with commercials? It is all a tremendous waste of time and effort to no useful end.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Most TVs have tuners in them. I would just run the cable directly to the TV and watch the local channels that way rather than waste a tuner from a Tivo.
I happen to have a 42" Sony monitor that was designed for POS (point of service ) displays. You would program it for continuous loop displays in a bank, retail outlet, trade show, etc. It just happens to work great as an HDTV with an external tuner attached. My wife used it exclusively for watching live TV. I have since replaced the Tivo with a small form factor HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's utter nonsense. First of all, there is nothing which prevents the user from watching a program while it is recording. Secondly, while I do on rare occasions watch the weather live, even that is better served by being recorded. If I am ten minutes late (by the TV station's ridiculous notion of "late", not mine) turning on the TV, I don't want to have missed the weather.
Nonsense to you perhaps, but then your opinion isn't the final word on anything in this forum, is it? FYI , anything you watch "live" on the Tivo is being recorded in the buffer so you're always watching something while it's being recorded if it's live. FYFI, the Weather Channel is on 24/7 and provides regular updates. I can't recall the last time I even watched a weather forecast on a local station. Recording a weather broadcast is a ridiculous waste of time considering there are numerous other ways to get up to the minute weather. If all you're looking for is the 5-day forecast then recording is certainly an option. I can get all that on my smartphone without having to turn on the TV or schedule a recording.

Just because you think everything on TV needs to be recorded doesn't mean the rest of us are forced to follow your lead.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I happen to have a 42" Sony monitor that was designed for POS (point of service ) displays. You would program it for continuous loop displays in a bank, retail outlet, trade show, etc. It just happens to work great as an HDTV with an external tuner attached. My wife used it exclusively for watching live TV. I have since replaced the Tivo with a small form factor HTPC.

Nonsense to you perhaps, but then your opinion isn't the final word on anything in this forum, is it? FYI , anything you watch "live" on the Tivo is being recorded in the buffer so you're always watching something while it's being recorded if it's live. FYFI, the Weather Channel is on 24/7 and provides regular updates. I can't recall the last time I even watched a weather forecast on a local station. Recording a weather broadcast is a ridiculous waste of time considering there are numerous other ways to get up to the minute weather. If all you're looking for is the 5-day forecast then recording is certainly an option. I can get all that on my smartphone without having to turn on the TV or schedule a recording.

Just because you think everything on TV needs to be recorded doesn't mean the rest of us are forced to follow your lead.
Your needs are not universal. What the weather channel or any app have to offer is very different and very much lacking the detail offered by a local tv station's meteorologist. You may not want the details, but other people do.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Your needs are not universal. What the weather channel or any app have to offer is very different and very much lacking the detail offered by a local tv station's meteorologist. You may not want the details, but other people do.
I'm not disputing that at all. OTOH, I can get weather forecasts in 15-minute increments over about a 36-48 hour period on the Weather Channel website for my zip code. I can also get local weather and satellite or radar reports of weather conditions from my local TV station's website in real time instead of having to wait for the 6 o'clock news report (or schedule a recording of same). The point of the conversation was that some people like to watch live TV for very specific reasons. I was just citing a current weather report under extreme circumstances as one of those instances. Perhaps a better example would have been the live coverage of 9/11 or some other event that would not have allowed lead time to set up a recording in advance. There was so much coverage of that event that recording it was completely unnecessary since you would get a complete recap of the events plus the current status just about any time you tuned to a cable news channel. I'm pretty sure most network programming was also preempted to cover the story.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #26
tootal2

I just got a ceton echo extender for my wmc computer
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
tootal2

I didn't replace my TiVo with a small htpc. I replaced it with a big gaming system. with three 200mm fans. I play black ops 2 on it at 1080p at over 100 frames per second and record TV and use my ceton echo at the same time

Quote:

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
How do you pause it, FF and Rew?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
jamesjones_det

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
So once every thousand years you need to watch something live?

So the storm might have suddenly jumped 200 miles to the west? You sat there without going to the bathroom or making yourself a sandwich the entire time, glued to your TV? You would have done much better to spend your time making preparations, and nothing reported on the TV was going to likely be of any immediate significance to you.

In 54 years, I have never seen anything on TV that was urgent in terms of a necessary response on my part, and as I said before, if it is urgent, it isn't going to wait until 17:00 to happen. Generally speaking, TV news is no more current than a newspaper, and in terms of actual applicability to the individual viewer, it is never so. It is only more sensational, which is not relevant.
This is one ignorant ass response. For one sports are a great reason to watch something live along with things live centric (the weather channel for one). To add to that why shouldn't TiVo support both live and record steaming? Nothing says you have to waste a tuner when you aren't live streaming.

Just because you don't do or like something something one way doesn't mean you are right. Stop being so ignorant and think for one minute.
jamesjones_det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Even in it's current incarnation the TiVo software has a way to set the number of tuners available to Minis to 0, so if someone doesn't watch live TV they can turn it off and their TiVo will have all available tuners for recording. So even if the Mini was released today, and was exactly as described by all the pieces we've been told by various sources, the only real limitation would be the 4 tuner host requirement.

I think the main reason for the delay is because of that host requirement. Releasing a device that requires a 4 tuner TiVo would be a bit confusing to consumers. My guess is they are going to release as-is to cable operators, since they can control what type of TiVo the user has, and then hold off on the retail release until dynamic tuner allocation is available. Then they can eliminate the 4 tuner host requirement and market it as a Premiere accessory.

Then again this is all speculation. The last time we heard anything official about the Mini was a long time ago, so who knows what state it's in now or why they've really delayed it. We'll likely have a better idea of what's going on after CES.

Dan