TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #121
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by weymo View Post
My Premiere does this exact thing as well. It doesn't seem to be shifting resolutions for the stream it appears that the video processor just resets...and it takes a moment or two before sync can catch up with the television (HDMI here.) PS3 on same network...never has this problem.
It actually is resolution switching that you are seeing. The PS3 doesn't have that problem because it plays at a fixed format (1080p or 720p or 1080i). So when the stream goes from 720p to 1080p on the PS3 it just converts it to the fixed format. TiVo can't do that for 1080p because it only supports pass through 1080p. The only way to fix this on the TiVo to to disable 1080p and either 720p or 1080i in your TiVo display settings.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #122
kyderr

OK. I read the whole thread. After calling TiVo Support, they mentioned they never heard of this problem. The Resolution changes are disruptive. I'm gonna to take the idea and set my resolution forced, but I hate to have to the TiVo to the resolution upconversion.

TiVo Wants to replace the unit. Thanks to this forum. I have learned that will not help. (I did not think it would).
kyderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #123
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyderr View Post
TiVo Wants to replace the unit. Thanks to this forum. I have learned that will not help. (I did not think it would).
Don't forget to power down and power up the unit after unplugging it for 30 seconds too...

chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #124
flashedbios

my complaint is having to log in with the remote control instead of the "pairing process" with the code the old app had. typing out my entire email address even just once with a remote is exausting.
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #125
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedbios View Post
my complaint is having to log in with the remote control instead of the "pairing process" with the code the old app had. typing out my entire email address even just once with a remote is exausting.
That's something that I can heartily agree with, and it goes for every service-registered app on any STB. I can understand that it removes the necessity of having a PC available (or having a PC at all), but the token form of registration should be an option for those who do have a PC nearby (or, in my case, connected to the same television).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #126
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedbios View Post

Do you want a lollipop ?
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

I like the fact that I can login using the email address. I hate having to get a pairing code. Entering my email address is usually much faster. Certainly faster on the TiVo using the TiVo Slide remote.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #128
Gerhard

Well,

I spent the week home with a sick child, 18 mos, and he an I watched a ton of stuff.

Unlike most people, I use an industrial firewall / network intrusion system, so I assumed that my crappy display of Netflix movies might be related to that.

(Until recently, I couldn't even get the Tivo App to work at all since the Summer...)

Well, my SONY Blue Player streams Netflix flawlessly... period.

Tivo looks like crap, SONY BSP looks fantastic... I've got three of them, and ALL of them look great.

Tivo has simply dropped the ball here...

I have a 35 Mbit fiber connection, and I'm not using more than about 12Mbit to stream HD content. ALL of my TVs are 1080i or 1080p...

This is the same on the Tivo Premiers (3 of those) and the one TivoHD.

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #129
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
Well,

I spent the week home with a sick child, 18 mos, and he an I watched a ton of stuff.

Unlike most people, I use an industrial firewall / network intrusion system, so I assumed that my crappy display of Netflix movies might be related to that.

(Until recently, I couldn't even get the Tivo App to work at all since the Summer...)

Well, my SONY Blue Player streams Netflix flawlessly... period.

Tivo looks like crap, SONY BSP looks fantastic... I've got three of them, and ALL of them look great.

Tivo has simply dropped the ball here...

I have a 35 Mbit fiber connection, and I'm not using more than about 12Mbit to stream HD content. ALL of my TVs are 1080i or 1080p...

This is the same on the Tivo Premiers (3 of those) and the one TivoHD.
You wouldnt use more than 12 anyway. Netflix Caps the streams
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #130
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
You wouldnt use more than 12 anyway. Netflix Caps the streams
The Sony BSP/BDP indicate an inital network surge of about 16Mbit when connecting to Netflix...

Video quality is outstanding.

Likewise, I just tested the Netflix app in one of the TV's... and it's also flawless.

What bugs me is that if I didn't have a Logitec Harmony Remote, I'd have to manually start switching all of the inputs and crap to get things to work seemlessly.

No an easy thing to do with a cranky, tired, 18 month old with pneumonia.

(Once again, I want to thank Tivo for doing such a stellar job... -dripping with sarcasism-)

---

The house is wired using coax to 100BaseT bridges at all of the cable outlets, so I'm sure we are somewhere under the 12MByte/sec maximum through-put of Fast Ethernet, but no where near the speeds require for streaming HD.

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #131
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Netflix quality can be outstanding on the TiVo too. It is outstanding(for streaming) in the setups I have. I have zero issues streaming Netflix on any of my Premieres. In a few seconds it goes to 1080P24 and it stays that way during the entire program that I watch.
I am on the 150/65 tier on FiOS, but even when I was on the 35/35 tier it was just as solid.

Even on my GFs, 1.2Mb/s DSL connection, Netflix is rock solid on the Premiere. it starts sstreaming and stays solid throughout the entire program. Although with a bandwidth of only 1.2Mb/s it is limited to playing SD. And for as low as the bandwidth is at her house, the quality is much better than I would have thought.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 12-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #132
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

With the new reduced bit rate encodes that they're rolling out, you should be able to get the highest quality HD stream on a quiescent 6 Mbps connection. (They replaced the old 3600 Kbps 720p "High/HD" encode with a 3000 Kbps one and the 4800 Kbps 1080p "X-High/HD" encode with a 3850 Kbps one, using some new tech which they bought from a company called eyeIO, which supposedly can produce H.264 video encodes of the same quality as older encoders in 20% to 50% less bandwidth. See this).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #133
morac
Cat God

It's sad that after all this time, Netflix can still lock up my Premiere and cause it to reboot.

Was watching a show and near the end, I paused it which caused playback to exit (why?). I couldn't resume so I played from the start and fast forwarded. About 75% to the end, it "bonked" and the picture froze and the box locked up. It rebooted about 30 seconds later.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #134
moyekj

Lately I get V301 errors trying to start Netflix on Premieres which only a reboot of the TiVo resolves. Meanwhile the S3 OLED unit has no problems at all with Netflix during the same period...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #135
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

I doubt this will make you feel any better, but the YouTube app is equally as ****ty if not worse.

TiVo "outsourced" both apps to the respective developers based on some weird licensing agreements, and now we're stuck with the same horrid apps that are on other platforms (Xbox, Wii, etc).

Some don't blame TiVo because TiVo didn't develop the Netflix and YouTube apps. I entirely blame TiVo for accepting both of these crappy apps on their platform. TiVo is who I pay for service.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #136
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's sad that after all this time, Netflix can still lock up my Premiere and cause it to reboot.

Was watching a show and near the end, I paused it which caused playback to exit (why?). I couldn't resume so I played from the start and fast forwarded. About 75% to the end, it "bonked" and the picture froze and the box locked up. It rebooted about 30 seconds later.
This exact thing happened to us last week - pause, exit, and everything.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #137
mrizzo80

Overall I like the Netflix app a lot; but I continue to get instances of sub-menus not showing text (or only showing partial text) when it should. Pretty annoying. Generally happens after browsing around the interface. Anyone else getting this?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #138
TVCricket
HDUI

I've gotten used to the app, but I have a question about internet usage. If I leave a movie or show paused for a long period of time, does the data continue to crank away? Reason I ask is because I checked my provider's new usage meter and it's telling me that I used 7GB one day. I don't play games on Steam, download movies off iTunes/Amazon, or any other major data hungry needs.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #139
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCricket View Post
I've gotten used to the app, but I have a question about internet usage. If I leave a movie or show paused for a long period of time, does the data continue to crank away? Reason I ask is because I checked my provider's new usage meter and it's telling me that I used 7GB one day. I don't play games on Steam, download movies off iTunes/Amazon, or any other major data hungry needs.
It doesn't use any data when paused. I don't pause for long periods though as I've found doing so makes the Premiere unstable.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #140
slacker9876

Thank you all for this thread, I had called Netflix and TiVo then I came here and got the RIGHT answer.

While I think it is a lame design flaw I am set to 1080i now and it is FINALLY working without issue. I should have known this is where the real experts reside

Now I am off to find out why Hulu Plus indicates 0 seconds to resume and it is more like 15. Unless of course if it is the same thing.
slacker9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #141
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
Personally I use the Roku box for all of my Netflix/Amazon video type viewing. The Netflix experience on the TiVo is so bad I can't stand watching that way. I thought the fact that they finally added Netflix Search to the app would change my mind, but that is not enough to convince me to use it with all of the other problems.

I find it strange that my Apple TV, PS3, Roku and even my iPad all do this so well, yet a big dedicated Video recorder/player has so much trouble doing this right.
I finally gave up and now have a Roku XS 2 (or is it 2 XS) sitting on top of my TiVo Premiere XL4, both connected to my receiver via HDMI. TiVo is used for TV, Roku for all other streaming stuff. I hated to drop the $59 for the extra box (on sale right before Christmas at Costco), but the improvement is night and day better - especially the Netflix app. Too bad TiVo couldn't get streaming as dialed-in as Roku seems to...
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #142
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought a new SmartTV a few weeks ago and started using it for all my streaming stuff. Not only is the Netflix app significantly faster but it also has HBOGo and VUDU, both of which I use pretty regularly. Not having to switch over to my PS3 or XBox to use these services is very nice. I'd prefer it if my TiVo were the "one box" it was purposed to be, but having these apps built into the TV is a close second. (nothing extra to switch on or wait to boot up)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #143
morac
Cat God

Netflix revealed Super HD and 3D streaming today. TiVo isn't compatible according to the Engadget article. It doesn't matter for most people though since only ISP's that peer with Netflix's CND will get this and that's only Cablevision and Google Fiber.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #144
MDMarshall

I'm one of the few still watching an old Tube TV, so I'm used to the pixelization when watching Netflix.

But my last two movies were different. Video goes black for about .25 seconds, about once a minute when it's bad. And sound would skip 3-4 times, also about once a minute, but not at the same time as the video troubles.

The skipping sound was the worst part, would make dialogue illegible about 4 times per movie.

The first time, I was hoping it was the movie. Now I'm hoping it's a bad server somewhere and will get better soon.

Did something change in the last ~2 weeks? I'm about ready to go back to Roku.....

Thanks, all!

Mikey
O-
MDMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #145
rainwater

Quote:
Netflix revealed Super HD and 3D streaming today. TiVo isn't compatible according to the Engadget article. It doesn't matter for most people though since only ISP's that peer with Netflix's CND will get this and that's only Cablevision and Google Fiber.
It's really not clear which hardware supports Super HD. Netflix does mention smart tvs and blu ray players that do 1080p will also support this. Since the TiVo app supports 1080p, it isn't out of the question that the TiVo app already does as well. Netflix needs to clarify this. Of course it hardly matters at the moment for most people.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #146
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
...only ISP's that peer with Netflix's CND will get this and that's only Cablevision and Google Fiber.
Someone in a thread at AVS Forum reported getting it with Frontier FiOS. He didn't say where he was but Frontier Communications only operates in Indiana, Oregon, SC and Washington.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #147
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Someone in a thread at AVS Forum reported getting it with Frontier FiOS. He didn't say where he was but Frontier Communications only operates in Indiana, Oregon, SC and Washington.
The DSL Reports article is bad. I have Armstrong Cable(small company) and I have support for it
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #148
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Is frontier fios possibly getting redbox?
Would fios not use the New cnd because
it doesn't want Netflix compete with redbox?

Why is cablevision doing this? Don't they
have caps and throttling for Netflix?
were they loosing too many customers and
decide to change?

So, now Netflix has same bit rates as Vudu?

Sorry, didn't realize I had so many questions
on one post.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #149
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Is frontier fios possibly getting redbox?
Would fios not use the New cnd because
it doesn't want Netflix compete with redbox?

Why is cablevision doing this? Don't they
have caps and throttling for Netflix?
were they loosing too many customers and
decide to change?

So, now Netflix has same bit rates as Vudu?

Sorry, didn't realize I had so many questions
on one post.
Cablevision has never had caps or throttling
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #150
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I found out what the Super HD bit rates are. Someone on a small ISP in San Francisco (Sonic.Net) posted a snap of "Example Short 23.976" running in the Windows 8 app with the Stream Manager showing on AVS Forum, here. You can see the full resolution version of that shot by right-clicking it and dragging it into the new tab control on your browser and hitting F11 to blow it up fullscreen. In addition to the 2350-, 3000- (both 720p) and 3850 Kbps (1080p) encodes you can get without Super HD, there are also 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p encodes. That 5800 Kbps is a 50% increase over 3850 Kbps--should be nice.

"
" -- hookbill