Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #91
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Played this clip. My TV is not a fan of frame rate changes and goes black for a moment and then comes back on and displays the new resolution and frame rate in the upper left corner. Oh, and this is one corny clip. The guy moonwalking while holding a laptop, lame!
The frame rate never changes, just the resolution; the frame rate of the video is always 24p (or 23.976p, if you prefer ); it's not part of the information displayed. If you have 720p and 1080p enabled in your TiVo output format setting, the player will change resolution formats to 720p60 and 1080p24 when it gets to the 720p24 and 1080p24 encodes. Multiple output formats selected doesn't work at all well with adaptive bit rate streaming; IMO the TiVo Netflix player should choose the highest selected format lower than 1080p24 (720p or 1080i) and go with that, converting everything Netflix sends to that one format on output. Maybe the .0001% of people using fancy outboard scalers benefit from its ability to output 1080p24, if they additionally always get a connection to Netflix's servers which gets up to 1080p24 and stays there, but TiVo's inability to convert anything else into 1080p24 means that it has to switch formats if the player's forced to back down into a 720p encode and when it switches back, causing visual ugliness in probably most every television set up. This is confusing and detrimental to everyone who's chosen to set their TiVo to output native formats.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #92
tre74

Thanks for the info. Still, my TiVo is a slow learner. Initially, the stream starts out at 720p 60, or 1080i 60, depending on my settings. Moments into the stream there is a switch over to 1080p 24. I'd just like it all to be sorted out before the video begins. I've restarted the same video many times over and the change in frame rate occurs at the exact same moment each time. Still, the resulting image and Dolby Digital Plus audio are nice. I recommend watching "Dreamworks Holiday Classics." Check out "Dragons: The Gift of the Night Fury." That is one gorgeous image!
tre74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #93
Big_Craig

Issue with DD+audio

Does anyone else have issues with the DD+ audio not playing? Sometimes when I start netflix movie on my premiere with DD+ audio, I will get no audio at all. Actually this happens pretty often. I have to back out to the menu and start the movie again. Then it will work. I've had the audio drop out after fast forwarding too. I have my tivo connected to a Yamaha RX-V673 via HDMI.
Big_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #94
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Craig View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the DD+ audio not playing? Sometimes when I start netflix movie on my premiere with DD+ audio, I will get no audio at all. Actually this happens pretty often. I have to back out to the menu and start the movie again. Then it will work. I've had the audio drop out after fast forwarding too. I have my tivo connected to a Yamaha RX-V673 via HDMI.
The issue I've had is that it is inconsistent for the type of audio. The same title might play 5.1 DD one time and then the next time 5.1 DD+ from my TiVos. While any title played back with my Roku 2 in 5.1 is DD+.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #95
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The issue I've had is that it is inconsistent for the type of audio. The same title might play 5.1 DD one time and then the next time 5.1 DD+ from my TiVos. While any title played back with my Roku 2 in 5.1 is DD+.
Now that is strange. I've never seen anything other than DD+ for 5.1 channel sound come out of the TiVo Netflix player.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #96
PlanoEvo

Okay this is BS I shouldn't have to buy extra crap to make the premiere stream 1080P when my Roku does it just fine. Yes I have enough bandwidth 35/35 and yes I can see the difference between 1080i and 1080p you just need a large enough screen which I have 73 Mitsu DLP. Also when the premiere starts to stream a 1080p title the stupid TiVo ramps up res starting at very poor then settles at 1080p only to run fine at that output the switch back and forth to 1080i missing up to 10secs at a time. Total nonsense I am going to call TiVo and complain again...
PlanoEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #97
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoEvo View Post
Okay this is BS I shouldn't have to buy extra crap to make the premiere stream 1080P when my Roku does it just fine. Yes I have enough bandwidth 35/35 and yes I can see the difference between 1080i and 1080p you just need a large enough screen which I have 73 Mitsu DLP. Also when the premiere starts to stream a 1080p title the stupid TiVo ramps up res starting at very poor then settles at 1080p only to run fine at that output the switch back and forth to 1080i missing up to 10secs at a time. Total nonsense I am going to call TiVo and complain again...
you do that!... Let us know how it goes!

I also dont see how you need to buy extra "crap" to make the premiere stream 1080P it does it on it's own
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #98
PlanoEvo

Seriously this is a major flaw! Why can't it stay on 1080p which looks awesome I'll admit but switching back and forth is nonsense.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #99
compnurd

Quote:
Seriously this is a major flaw! Why can't it stay on 1080p which looks awesome I'll admit but switching back and forth is nonsense.
I dont have the issue. Dont know what it is about my connection. I ramp up to 1080P and it stays
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #100
PlanoEvo

talked with TiVo and they told me to netflix. netflix told me to reset netflix app then power off TiVo then router and power up. Their (netflix) opinion was that the TiVo is much more picky with streaming so reseting seems to help most people. However I am still not happy about the ramping up resolution which sucks!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #101
PlanoEvo

Okay it works better now it still has the ramping up issue and if you try to advance or rewind it goes back to 1080i but at least once it gets to 1080p it stays there. TiVo box is picky for sure...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #102
Robert2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Ooh, a Darbee Darblet. Only heard of it yesterday and wondered how people were liking it. I'd get one, but it's a bit pricey. How much does it actually improve the picture? Do tell!
By locally increasing contrast only in appropriate areas of the picture, it increases perceived detail without adding ringing on edges. It helps softer-looking HD quite a bit, but it's not appropriate for all program material. For example, I find HBO shows like True Blood looked better with the Darblet defeated because that show was already marginally over-enhanced during the production process.

My display is a Pioneer Kuro 141FD. which is already sharp in dot-by-dot mode. Reading online reviews suggests that the Darblet is most useful with LCOS projectors like the JVCs, which can be a bit soft-looking to begin with.
Robert2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #103
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's an issue for the location it's streaming from. Mine goes to 1080P24 and stays there. And for the past week or so, half the time it's been starting at 1080P24 for some reason. But still staying there. It will stay at 1080P24 for the entire 42 minute episode. Although I haven't watched any movies on there lately.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #104
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Whether it has to step down from the 1080p24 encode or not completely depends on what conditions are locally when you're playing it. If there's not sufficient bandwidth on your path to their servers (distinct from the rated speed of your network service) or if for some reason those servers are bogged down and can't shovel you packets of content fast enough to keep up (shouldn't happen with good load balancing but nothing's perfect) then the player will switch to a lower bit rate video encode before its buffer is empty. If you always get a connection with the servers which is rock solid you'll always stay at 1080p after it gets there.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #105
morac
Cat God

I tried to watch a program on Netflix from the search screen and after a long time,I got a message saying Netflix couldn't load. At that point my Premiere stopped responding to remote presses and rebooted about 30 seconds later.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #106
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I tried to watch a program on Netflix from the search screen and after a long time,I got a message saying Netflix couldn't load. At that point my Premiere stopped responding to remote presses and rebooted about 30 seconds later.
Is it repeatable? I tried it and it works fine for me, both pressing SEL on the title and choosing "Play" from the menu and by pressing PLAY on the title without drilling down into its menu.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #107
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Is it repeatable? I tried it and it works fine for me, both pressing SEL on the title and choosing "Play" from the menu and by pressing PLAY on the title without drilling down into its menu.
Not repeatable. After my Premičre rebooted, Netflix loaded up correctly, though not immediately. I had to wait a few minutes as I was getting V301 errors. That didn't make it any less annoying though. Fortunately nothing was recording.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #108
HockeyFan

I find it hilarious that this thread is still around 5 months later
Besides initial buffering and few seconds with pause I don't see any issues.
I understand some cable companies have declared war on Netflix users but I chose not to do business with them
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #109
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I find it hilarious that this thread is still around 5 months later
Besides initial buffering and few seconds with pause I don't see any issues.
I understand some cable companies have declared war on Netflix users but I chose not to do business with them
The thread's not so much about problems with the new Netflix player as it is about the fact that some people hate the new interface's design and want a player with a UI which echoes the look-and-feel of the main TiVo UI. This is a space where they can vent .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #110
aaronwt
HD Addict

I like the new interface. If I could change one thing though, it would allow the info button to bring up info about the show you are watching. That is the one feature I miss from the old application.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #111
compnurd

Quote:
The thread's not so much about problems with the new Netflix player as it is about the fact that some people hate the new interface's design and want a player with a UI which echoes the look-and-feel of the main TiVo UI. This is a space where they can vent .
If that is the idea then they need to vent on a Netflix forum
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #112
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

It's missing some features which all four of the other devices that I own with this UI have (3 BD players and a PS3): forward/back by 3 thumbs in the browser by pressing FF/REW, people search and now the Netflix "Post Play Experience" which has recently been added to all of the others (though sort of impressive, I don't really want my player to start playing the next episode of a series that I'm watching after a countdown). In other words, it could be a superior version of what it is.

It also has a bad tendency to sometimes begin playback with the lowest bit rate, unwatchably poor PQ video encode (so bad it looks like an impressionist rendering of the scene in oils). I've never seen any of the other players use that encode.

The only Netflix player UIs that I know which let you get title information without stopping playback are the Roku's, which will pop up a little overlay with title, episode number and episode title (if a series), release year, duration and rating when you press DOWN and the Xbox's unique UI, which starts playback as soon as you select the title and let's you do all manner of things in overlays while it continues to play.

The implementation of this UI on TiVo isn't perfect, but it generally works as designed and is perfectly usable, though you might not love it. Of course, there are those who've posted that they hate it so much that they refuse to use it. Whatever .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #113
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
If that is the idea then they need to vent on a Netflix forum
Possibly, but no one is forced to listen to them vent on any forum. I think that the title of this thread makes it perfectly clear what you can expect to find if you choose to enter it . Also I'm sure that it's more satisfying for them to vent where TiVo is likely to read it, since they mainly hold TiVo responsible and want them to spend a lot of money developing and maintaining their own Netflix interface.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #114
compnurd

Quote:
Possibly, but no one is forced to listen to them vent on any forum. I think that the title of this thread makes it perfectly clear what you can expect to find if you choose to enter it . Also I'm sure that it's more satisfying for them to vent where TiVo is likely to read it, since they mainly hold TiVo responsible and want them to spend a lot of money developing and maintaining their own Netflix interface.
Tivo very rarely monitors this forum. And you are assuming that Tivo would be allowed to spend money to develop there own interface. I think it is pretty clear netflix has standardized there interface
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #115
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Tivo very rarely monitors this forum.
One of my closest friends is an engineer at TiVo who tells me that they're encouraged to read these forums, though forbidden to participate unless asked to prepare a response by their management (which no doubt would be edited and posted by marketing).
Quote:
And you are assuming that Tivo would be allowed to spend money to develop there own interface. I think it is pretty clear netflix has standardized there interface
I'm not assuming that, the complainers are. Neither the Roku or the Xbox use the interface on the Premiere, though everything else I have which plays Netflix streams does, other than this PC and my tablet. Personally I think it's probable that companies are free to create their own Netflix UIs (with Netflix holding some veto power over what they create, inasmuch as it represents them to their customers). I could be wrong and Netflix is imposing this UI on all of their OEM partners. In any case, the part provided by Netflix would be quite expensive for TiVo to develop and maintain their own version of, so it's just smart business for them to use it.

Use of common UI designs has become the norm these days. I have several devices with VUDU and Hulu Plus players and the UI for those players on every one of them is identical to the others (except for the Xbox 360, which has Metro-look-and-feel players controllable with voice and gestures via Kinect). The only common service which differs is Amazon, whose players are different on every device, causing me to think that they don't offer a UI design for embedded systems.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 10-19-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #116
rainwater

Quote:
The old player followed the TiVo UI and provided no way to discover content. You can still play content from TiVo search so no one forces you to use the new Netflix UI but I don't want to go back to the terrible app that use to be on the TiVo. Personally, I think they need to fix the button mapping and resolution switching issue (along with response times). The UI works fine for me.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #117
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I don't care about the old UI vs. the new UI. I just want my Elite to stop crashing/rebooting when I try to use Netflix.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #118
weymo
timeshifter

My Premiere does this exact thing as well. It doesn't seem to be shifting resolutions for the stream it appears that the video processor just resets...and it takes a moment or two before sync can catch up with the television (HDMI here.) PS3 on same network...never has this problem.
In our old Series 2 / Series 2 DT days when TiVo desktop was transferring and the TiVo was recording, our CPU would seize up and the box would reboot, resulting in some loss of recording time.
The Premiere XL behaves the same way. If all 4 tuners are recording and the blue transfer light is lit...watch out...it just can't seem to handle it.
Why the NIC isn't on it's own little processor, I can't imagine.
Worse still, the Netflix app audio/video will come out of sync as the box struggles.
We always come back to the SD interface for speed.
No matter what the programming challenges are at TiVo, perception is everything. With something as utilitarian as television, they should keep it simple and keep it fast...and then let us turn ON features if we really want them, like the troubled HD menus, PiP, web content...
weymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #119
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I don't care about the old UI vs. the new UI. I just want my Elite to stop crashing/rebooting when I try to use Netflix.
Netflix has been working great on both my Elites and my two tuner Premiere.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #120
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Netflix has been working great on both my Elites and my two tuner Premiere.
That's disappointing. With all the complaints
here I assumed TiVo sent me a specially designed exclusive TiVo premiere to work without flaws.
I don't feel so special now.
I guess I'll go back to enjoying my TiVo and try to deal with it.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote