TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
David Knowles

Used it early Saturday morning. The show started OK, but then the pause, ff, etc wouldn't work - it just continued to play. I had to pull the plug on the Tivo
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have tried that and it works but you no longer get the HD movies in 1080p and that's the whole reason I went back to the Netflix streaming subscription. I had stopped my subscription because Netflix was doing 720p and stereo forever and once it upgraded to 1080p and DD5.1 I started back. If I changed it to 1080i or lower, there's no point in watching the Netflix HD movies anymore, know what I mean?
properly deinterlaced 1080i should look identical to 1080P. But I don't remember if you select only a 1080i output if it's playing the 720P stream and sscaling it up or playing the 1080P24 stream and interlacing for 1080i output.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
Don't be ridiculous. At Netflix level streaming quality, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is minimal - if even noticeable. This is not Bluray quality.
It is certainly noticeable on my 82" screen and leave the "ridiculous" comments at home. Why should it work correctly on my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 but not on the TiVo?
7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I have tried that and it works but you no longer get the HD movies in 1080p and that's the whole reason I went back to the Netflix streaming subscription. I had stopped my subscription because Netflix was doing 720p and stereo forever and once it upgraded to 1080p and DD5.1 I started back. If I changed it to 1080i or lower, there's no point in watching the Netflix HD movies anymore, know what I mean?
I get the 1080p encode from Netflix with the output resolution set to 1080i-only. (I have tested bandwidth consumption and the TiVo will take the 1080p24 encode when the output is set to 720p only, downconverting it to 720p60 on output; of the devices that I have which stream Netflix--TiVo, PS3, Xbox, Roku 2, 2 Panasonic 3D BD players and a Sony BD player--it's the only which will take the 1080p encode when it can only output 720p, which might be considered a waste of bandwidth).

1080p24 converted to 1080i30 for display is no great degradation of the picture.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Why should it work correctly on my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 but not on the TiVo?
The 2012 Panasonic 3D BD players can do something which almost none of the other streamers can, which is output Internet VOD services as 24p. It is a very rare capability and I don't think it can be held against TiVo if they can't do it well.

What would be nice is if the TiVo could convert other formats for output as 1080p24 but it can only pass it through so when something at another format comes through it has to change output formats, which most televisions cannot do smoothly (I'm not sure that any can). Inasmuch as adaptive bit rate streaming is the emerging standard it's a bit problematic, at least for support of services which offer 1080p video.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 09-19-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

There are definitely some bugs and deficiencies in the TiVo Premiere Netflix player not present in other devices with the same UI. For one thing all of my other players pause instantly (I tried Roku 2, PS3, Xbox and the Panasonic BDT220). All of my other players with this interface (PS3 and 3 BD players) return two sets of search results, one for matching titles and one for matching people names (actors, directors, etc). All of my other players with this UI go backward and forward by 4 thumbs at a time in a list (Instant Queue, Recently Watched, etc) with the REW and FF remote commands. I think that there are a couple of other things but they're not coming to mind right now.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 09-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #37
TVCricket
HDUI

I hated it at first, but now the only things I wish they'd change is adding description when you press Info, ability to scroll up/down the main screen using Channel Up/Down, and adding the feature where the next episode of a tv show can begin playing without backing out of the current episode.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I get the 1080p encode from Netflix with the output resolution set to 1080i-only. (I have tested bandwidth consumption and the TiVo will take the 1080p24 encode when the output is set to 720p only, downconverting it to 720p60 on output; of the devices that I have which stream Netflix--TiVo, PS3, Xbox, Roku 2, 2 Panasonic 3D BD players and a Sony BD player--it's the only which will take the 1080p encode when it can only output 720p, which might be considered a waste of bandwidth).

1080p24 converted to 1080i30 for display is no great degradation of the picture.
Thanks, I'll try 1080i only and see what happens...
7 DVD
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
RangerOne
The Hub

I wish the replay button worked like in the old version.

on my home theater and gadgets blog:
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
Atomic Buffalo

I want the old version back. It wasn't great, but it was better than the new app.

I don't care why it's slow.
I don't care who wrote it.
I don't care that Netflix wants a consistent interface.

I didn't buy Tivo for Netflix's interface or Netflix's features. I bought it for the Tivo interface. Give me what I paid for. If you're telling me this is what I paid for, I'll never buy a Tivo again.

I gave up watching Netflix on Tivo. Nevermind the stupid faux-iPad navigation, the playback controls are hideous. I'd say they're the worst ever but I think the new YouTube Tivo app might be worse.

I watch Netflix via my Sony TV now, because it works better. (BTW, it also does Amazon Prime.) This is not a good trend, Tivo. Why did I spend hundreds of dollars on you again?

I want the Tivo Experience, not Tivo Excuses.
Atomic Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #41
moyekj

It would be trivial for TiVo to throw in a link to the old version under Showcases for those who prefer the old version. The old version is still available since it is used for series 3 models. In fact I would probably use both - the new one for searching and adding stuff to the instant queue and figuring out where I left off watching a series, then the old one to actually play titles.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #42
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I get the 1080p encode from Netflix with the output resolution set to 1080i-only...

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try 1080i only and see what happens...
BTW, you can check to see whether you're getting the 1080p encode by using "Example Short 23.976", a test clip with bit rate and resolution burned into each of its video encodes. Lots easier than measuring bandwidth consumption .

There are several "Example" clips in Netflix's library but only that one and an 8 hour one at the same framerate has those overlays.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #43
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Buffalo View Post
... Why did I spend hundreds of dollars on you again?
Hopefully because you wanted a DVR. There are zero reasons to buy a TiVo for streaming media.

The only reason someone should be paying for a TiVo is because they want a superior DVR, if someone just wants a streaming media device other solutions are very low cost and superior.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #44
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Hopefully because you wanted a DVR. There are zero reasons to buy a TiVo for streaming media.

The only reason someone should be paying for a TiVo is because they want a superior DVR, if someone just wants a streaming media device other solutions are very low cost and superior.
I feel much the same way--TiVo is the best cable & OTA DVR solution on the market and that's pretty much all that I actually use it for. I only recently switched to a Premiere and when I bought my S3 ($650 w/o service, on sale), it didn't have players for Netflix or Amazon or any other commercial video service. I have 6 or 7 other devices which stream Netflix and other services and I primarily use my Roku 2 for the purpose (which, with the addition of VUDU last week, has become my perfect streamer, having full-featured Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu Plus and HBO Go streaming players).

On the other hand, TiVo uses their products' capability to stream these services to sell them. Given that, people have every right to complain if they're not happy with its streaming players.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #45
Arcady
Stargate Fan

My Premiere Elite is showing the old Netflix in the SDUI. But it gives an error when I try to load it. I am getting the same error on a TiVo HD. The HDUI version on the Elite loads, but crashes the box. Now I can't use Netflix on any of my TiVo boxes in the living room.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #46
tmarkoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
My Premiere Elite is showing the old Netflix in the SDUI. But it gives an error when I try to load it. I am getting the same error on a TiVo HD. The HDUI version on the Elite loads, but crashes the box. Now I can't use Netflix on any of my TiVo boxes in the living room.
Switch the menu type to HD on all HD capable Tivos.
There was an update pushed out by TIVO that causes the Netflix App to be unable to connect from the SD menu. It simply won't connect.

If your HD Tivo gets that error, deactivate the unit from Netflix and then reactivate it.

I had this problem yesterday and tried this on whim.
It solved EVERYTHING.

To put it simply, the Netflix App is now incapable of being launched from the SD menu side. This bug falls on the shoulders of both Tivo and Netflix as they both added things to their respective software/firmware that caused this.
tmarkoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #47
atmuscarella

Quote:
On the other hand, TiVo uses their products' capability to stream these services to sell them. Given that, people have every right to complain if they're not happy with its streaming players.
I agree with you that people certainly should expect TiVo and Netflix/Hulu/Amazon ect. to deliver a well functioning streaming app on the Premiere platform and if they don't certainly have the right to complain about.

However there are times when complaining just doesn't do much good and living in reality makes more sense. My reality is that most streaming apps are never going to work well on the Premiere platform (Pandora seems to be the exception). The fix is simple, low cost and works well; just buy a Roku or Apple TV and be done with it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #48
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarkoski View Post
To put it simply, the Netflix App is now incapable of being launched from the SD menu side. This bug falls on the shoulders of both Tivo and Netflix as they both added things to their respective software/firmware that caused this.
Using SD Menus on a Premiere you can launch Netflix from Video on Demand. I would be very upset otherwise.

UPDATE: Hmm. I just checked and now that is no longer working. It certainly used to work as recently as a couple of days ago so something must have changed with TiVo servers to screw things up.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-28-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #49
Madoc Owain

Angry TiVo, unbreak my NetFlix!

We were using TiVo SD menus as the HD menus on the Premiere are too slow. The streaming video menu reset yesterday to the one from last year, and NetFlix will no longer load. If I switch the interface to the HD menus, it works properly. I hope TiVo pushes a fix for this issue quickly!
Madoc Owain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #50
kmitchell

OK, I thought I was going crazy. I just installed a new XL4 and had Netflix up and working yesterday morning. I went to "demo" it to my wife last night and thought the SD streaming menu looked different. Now I can't even start Netflix. A few seconds after I click on "Watch Instantly" I get an error screen that says something about "an unexpected error has occurred... blah, blah, blah". I'll try HD menus but that is not a solution.
kmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #51
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I can open Netflix in the HD menus if I want my TiVo to crash and reboot. They need to do one of the following:

1. Fix Netflix so it works in HD or SD menus
2. Restore the previous version so that it works
3. Rename the HD menu item from "Netflix" to "Crash your TiVo" so it is accurate
Two TiVo Minis

Old 09-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #52
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
However there are times when complaining just doesn't do much good and living in reality makes more sense.
Yeah, but it makes unhappy people feel a little bit better to vent their anger and frustration (though it's foolish to think that your rant might get them to change anything). I don't argue with them any more; if they ask why things are the way that they are I'll offer an explanation, but I leave the "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this! I don't care why you did it, change it back!" posts alone .

Quote:
My reality is that most streaming apps are never going to work well on the Premiere platform (Pandora seems to be the exception).
I don't know; the only one I ever run is Netflix and it works pretty well (I tend to run Pandora on this PC or my Roku). It's lacking a few features of the other players with this UI (notably move by 4 thumbs in the browser with REW and FF and people search) and TiVo's ability to output 1080p24 but not to convert other video formats into 1080p24 confuses people and makes it best to run in 1080i-only, but otherwise it seems to work well.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #53
kmitchell

Quote:
I can open Netflix in the HD menus if I want my TiVo to crash and reboot. They need to do one of the following:

1. Fix Netflix so it works in HD or SD menus
2. Restore the previous version so that it works
3. Rename the HD menu item from "Netflix" to "Crash your TiVo" so it is accurate
Wow, Switched to the HD menus and get a reboot as well when I try to open Netflix.
kmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I agree with you that people certainly should expect TiVo and Netflix/Hulu/Amazon ect. to deliver a well functioning streaming app on the Premiere platform and if they don't certainly have the right to complain about.

However there are times when complaining just doesn't do much good and living in reality makes more sense. My reality is that most streaming apps are never going to work well on the Premiere platform (Pandora seems to be the exception). The fix is simple, low cost and works well; just buy a Roku or Apple TV and be done with it.
They all work well on the Premiere boxes. Of course the navigation could be a little faster but otherwise they typically work without issue on my Premiere and two Elites.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
lujan

Quote:
BTW, you can check to see whether you're getting the 1080p encode by using "Example Short 23.976", a test clip with bit rate and resolution burned into each of its video encodes. Lots easier than measuring bandwidth consumption .

There are several "Example" clips in Netflix's library but only that one and an 8 hour one at the same framerate has those overlays.
Thanks for the great link!! I tried it with 1080i/1080p selected on the TiVo box and the screen went blue after a few seconds on the "Example_Short_23.976" movie. I then changed the video setting to 1080i only, and went back to the "Example_Short..." movie and everything went fine. These are the settings I got:

Bitrate: 4800 kbps
RES: 1920X1080
PAR: 1:1

I guess this is the best you can get, right?
7 DVD
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
These are the settings I got:

Bitrate: 4800 kbps
RES: 1920X1080
PAR: 1:1

I guess this is the best you can get, right?
Yep--that's 1080 res at (as the title of the "film" suggests) 24 fps (23.976, to be exact ). There are several of those "example" clips (just search Netflix for "example") but only that one and "Example 8 Hour 23.976" have those bit-rate/resolution overlays on their component encodes. (Strangely, those test clips appear to be the only items in Netflix's streaming library with the word "example" in their titles).

The 8-hour clip has lots of great stuff in it; the guy in the black shirt juggles, recites Shakespeare and more! For a laugh, read some of the user reviews of those test clips .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #57
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Using SD Menus on a Premiere you can launch Netflix from Video on Demand. I would be very upset otherwise.

UPDATE: Hmm. I just checked and now that is no longer working. It certainly used to work as recently as a couple of days ago so something must have changed with TiVo servers to screw things up.
Issue is now fixed. The new Netflix is now setup to launch from SDUI Video On Demand again, so now it works. Looks like there was a screwup in production servers where Premiere units were pointing back at the older version which apparently doesn't work on Premieres anymore.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #58
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Now I can easily crash my TiVo from either the SD or HD menus!
Two TiVo Minis

Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #59
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Now I can easily crash my TiVo from either the SD or HD menus!
How do you crash it? I only play Netflix from the HDUI and it always seems fine from my boxes using HDMI. I watched several hours of Netflix over the last 24 hours with my TiVos. There were not any issues. Today I've added a Darblet to the HDMI chain and it's still working fine.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #60
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It crashes the box anywhere from immediately to about 2 hours after I start using Netflix.
Two TiVo Minis