TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
escrge
TiVo Owner Since '99

I hate, hate, HATE the updated Netflix app!!!

Dear TiVo,

Ever since you gave us the "new and improved" Netflix app, it has been nothing short of aggravating to use.

First, it takes a full 6 seconds for video to pause after I've pressed the pause button. This is consistent over all three TiVo Premieres that I own.

Second, Netflix will now adjust the video quality mid-stream. This means that every time the video quality ramps up, my TV will blink out for a few seconds to correct the resolution resulting in the loss of several seconds of the program I'm watching. If I'm experiencing variable network speeds, the video could blink out continuously.

None of these problems ever happened with the old version.

Now I watch Netflix on my two Apple TVs. But I don't have one in the bedroom which means I'm stuck with the crappy TiVo version.

Please fix the app. Or tell Netflix to fix it. Whoever. Just fix it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
escrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's working as it is designed. You need to have the TiVo output only one resolution to avoid the re-syncing that occurs with a different resolution output.

The pausing that takes several seconds is working as intended since it's communicating with the servers to pause. Just like from a Cable Company VOD where you are controlling what you are viewing from their servers. There will always be a lag in that situation.

Other devices like the ATV don't have the syncing issue because they are only outputting one resolution. They don't have the ability to output the native resolution like the TiVo can. So the only way to avoid it with the TiVo is to turn off the Native resolution output. Which means you need to set it for only one resolution output like other devices use.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
escrge
TiVo Owner Since '99

Thank you for the tip on the video output. I'm giving that a try. However, the pausing issue didn't exist before they updated the Netflix app. Why in the world would they "design" it to delay a control function??? That's ridiculous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrge View Post
Thank you for the tip on the video output. I'm giving that a try. However, the pausing issue didn't exist before they updated the Netflix app. Why in the world would they "design" it to delay a control function??? That's ridiculous.
The increased UI delays are because they are using Flash HME which is slower than the previously used non-Flash UI. Note that with HME Netflix is actually running on a TiVo server and your TiVo is just acting as a dumb display, so all remote commands have to be relayed to the server and then you have to wait for server to respond and your TiVo to react. All that adds up to delays you are seeing. Flash seems to have added more overhead to the process.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
escrge
TiVo Owner Since '99

Yes, I understand the mechanics in what is going on behind the scenes. I just cannot fathom why any software designer thought this was an improvement. It degrades the overall user experience.

Video-on-demand is no longer the wave of the future. It's a reality. Poor performance is no longer tolerated. There is no excuse for a poorly designed interface. Especially when its performance is a step down from a previous release.

They got it right on the Apple TV. And now ATV supports Hulu Plus which also performs much faster than TiVo.

I've been a die-hard TiVo supporter since my first Model 1. I've since owned two Model 2s and now have 3 Premieres. But Apple TV is starting to catch up despite the fact that it seems like just a hobby to them at the moment. If they ever get serious and come out with a DVR component, I might just make the switch unless TiVo wakes up.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Endymion_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's working as it is designed. You need to have the TiVo output only one resolution to avoid the re-syncing that occurs with a different resolution output.
This can't be correct. I've had a problem that sounds like what the OP describes, certain scenes simply "blank" the video for a moment. I have seen Netflix streams adjust the streaming resolution before on multiple systems, including on the TiVo, both before and after the update. That is not what is occurring when the image blanks. The video signal just stops momentarily at random points of time. Audio continues normally. When the Netflix app is adjusting streaming resolution, this never happens. You see blockier, more pixelated images, macros, etc. On a perfectly solid, stable network connection, the Netflix app will now simply blank the image.

Additionally, I use one of my Premieres with a fixed resolution and the other with a variable resolution. The issue occurs on both units regardless.
Endymion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
David Knowles

I hate the app as well.

The issues I have are it will cause my Premier to reboot or the pause control does not work at all the only way I have to stop it is too pull the plug.
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
rallykeeper

Piling on to Netflix hate...

It's been mentioned before, but I'd add the terrible UI implementation of the Instant Queue. (And the inconsistent control scheme on the remote).

You can only see something like 4 shows in your queue at any given time and scrolling to the right is painful.

Plus if you have kids, they also see all the recommendations, recently watched, etc. It makes it really difficult to guide their viewing habits, if they're recommended to watch something you don't want them to watch. (I'll stop my Netflix parent rant there since there's a dozen things wrong with Netflix and TiVo Netflix for parents and kids).

Apple TV has a much better interface -- with at least a dozen Instant Queue shows on the screen at any given time.

Even Sony's built-in TV functionality is better (with just as good as image quality). PS3 is fine as well. I've never used Wii Netflix, but I'm guessing even it's better (albeit at a lower quality).

I agree with the poster that if TiVo starts to lose its ability to perform all aspects of TV viewing (aside from Blu-Ray) at least adequately, it will start to lose its decade + stranglehold on our household.

What's always made TiVo great is that I never have to use another box or remote. They added Hulu at the right time, they've long had Netflix and they've even supported purchasing through Amazon. These were all decent implementations of these services.

If another provider can get anywhere close to TiVo's core DVR functionality and solidly beat TiVo with the other services, they will finally have a competitor.

All in all, though, this seems like a minor problem.

TiVo, if you're listening, just fix the Netflix App!!!
rallykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

I have complaints about the netflix app, and have made them before. I only point out two things that this rant thread does not seem to address:

1- Netflix is moving to a standard interface. This interface. I prefer it to have a look and feel of the prior one (esp. hitting play to indicate progression and not to pause). Others interfaces are slightly different, but this is more or less what they are working towards.

2- Netflix wrote this interface, not Tivo. So, complaining to Tivo could be somewhat helpful as they surely have communications with Netflix. Some issues are due to how Tivo handles internet connectivity, which are theirs to handle. However, most complaints are rightly pointed to Netflix, who owns the interface and content.

My point is that posters here should ALSO complain to Netflix. Not that it will change things, but they need some direct feedback from us as users.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
sammydee

I also absolutely love the Netflix UI experience on my Apple TV, and absolutely hate the same experience on my TiVo Premiere. I've abandoned the TiVo for any Netflix usage at this point.

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
en sabur nur

I agree. Of all of the Netflix interfaces I've ever seen, I like the Apple TV's the best. I would really like Apple to add a universal search though. Until that happens, the Fanhattan app is my friend.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
abqdan

Being new to TiVo, I was looking forward to both Netflix and HuluPlus apps. I have to say I'm really disappointed in both. The TiVo's interface, with a simple list of the shows I've recorded, is quick and easy to browse. If I go to the Netflix website, I have that same option - a list of my queued movies. But with this App, not only do all the graphics take time to load, but they reduce the screen real estate to a point where just a few movies are shown, and navigation is horrible. It's the same with HuluPlus (except that app seems completely broken at the moment). Overall, the DVR part of TiVo is excellent, but the app experience is awful. And TiVo should have enough influence with these companies to demand some options, like simple list views, in the API - I can't believe they have no control over what Netflix and Hulu give them.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

We had to hook up an old TiVoHD in the living room to use Netflix. The one on the Premiere Elite crashes the whole TiVo, which is unacceptable. Even if it didn't crash, it is still too annoying to use.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
sockgap
TiVo'd in Jan 2000

I've got access to Netflix streaming on PS3, current AppleTV, Wii, a TiVo Premiere and a TiVo series 3.
The worst of the bunch is the TiVo premiere client, which often has no audio and takes forever to start up. Next worse is the old Series 3 client which only plays items already in the instant queue but at least has audio that works.

The AppleTV is the only one where the playback UI is platform consistent, rather than trying to follow some weird Netflix-only look and feel that sucks.
sockgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
zubinh

I dont have a Premiere yet but it seems with all of these complaints I won't be selling my Apple TV after I upgrade. One question though, Is there a way to "disable" all streaming apps in the Premiere so that I never see their logos or have search results include the streaming options? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
I dont have a Premiere yet but it seems with all of these complaints I won't be selling my Apple TV after I upgrade. One question though, Is there a way to "disable" all streaming apps in the Premiere so that I never see their logos or have search results include the streaming options? Thanks.
Yes. There is a setting that allows you to hide them.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just resubscribed to Netflix the other night to catch up on show I missed a few episodes of. (cheaper for 1 month of Netflix then buying the episodes from Amazon) Anyway the new app is really, really, slow. Entering my user information was painful and when playing a show sometimes it takes 10+ seconds for it to respond to a button press, which makes trick play almost impossible to use. The old one was slow, but not this slow.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
lujan

Quote:

I have my Premiere set to only one resolution (1080p) in order to get the highest resolution from the movies streamed from Netflix but it doesn't work. Any HD movie that I watch via Netflix will turn to a blue screen after a few seconds and I don't know if there is some incompatibility between the TiVo and my Mitsubishi TV or my Denon receiver. I've reported it several times but haven't seen a fix. Fortunately, I have a Panasonic blu-ray player that streams the Netflix HD movies just fine.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
Brad Bishop

I've tried the Netflix app on the TiVo. It's close to unusable because of speed. If you want to just skip it, pay the $100 and get an Apple TV or Roku (I assume Roku supports Netflix and is quick).

I can testify that the Apple TV Netflix interface is both nice and quick.

The TiVo Netflix interface is like working with the online world through an interface of molasses.

Also interesting: I remember the CEO of TiVo a few years back giving an interview and telling us all that his vision was that the TiVo was going to be the end-all, be-all interface to getting our video content (cable & internet).

To the CEO: This is a failure. The interfaces are slow as crap and, while not your fault, the end user ends up with Hulu+ and paying for limited shows that he'd otherwise get w/o question via a computer. It's stupid.

TiVo as an interface to the cable company works quite well. TiVo as an interface to anything else is a failure.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a PS3 and an XBox that can play Netflix, but it's so much easier to find things on my TiVo and just click Play On Netflix. However the slowness is horrible. The old app was slow too, but wasn't nearly as bad.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have my Premiere set to only one resolution (1080p) in order to get the highest resolution from the movies streamed from Netflix but it doesn't work. Any HD movie that I watch via Netflix will turn to a blue screen after a few seconds and I don't know if there is some incompatibility between the TiVo and my Mitsubishi TV or my Denon receiver. I've reported it several times but haven't seen a fix. Fortunately, I have a Panasonic blu-ray player that streams the Netflix HD movies just fine.
You can't select just 1080P by itself.. To select 1080P you have to also select at least one other resolution. The TiVo can only pass through 1080P24 content, it can't scale anything to 1080P. You would need to select one resolution that the TiVo can scale to, like 1080i, to help avoid most of the resolution change issues.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
lujan

Quote:
You can't select just 1080P by itself.. To select 1080P you have to also select at least one other resolution. The TiVo can only pass through 1080P24 content, it can't scale anything to 1080P. You would need to select one resolution that the TiVo can scale to, like 1080i, to help avoid most of the resolution change issues.
Sorry, it is set to both 1080i and 1080p but it still goes to a blue screen every time I select an HD Netflix movie.
6 DVD
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
rogmatic

I sometimes lose signal for all channels after using netflix, and I can't get them back without a restart. I have it set on 1080i resolution (the default for my TV), but is there any reason to think the lost signals are related to resolution changes? In other words, is it worth trying different settings?
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I sometimes lose signal for all channels after using netflix, and I can't get them back without a restart. I have it set on 1080i resolution (the default for my TV), but is there any reason to think the lost signals are related to resolution changes? In other words, is it worth trying different settings?
I've tried 1080i and 720p as well as all of the resolutions but there's no point in using the new application which added 1080p and DD 5.1 if you're not going to use it. In that case, I might as well continue to use the Panasonic BD player to watch HD Netflix movies.
6 DVD
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Sorry, it is set to both 1080i and 1080p but it still goes to a blue screen every time I select an HD Netflix movie.
Try selecting one resolution. Which has to be something 1080i or lower.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
Globular
No time to hack

I am comforted that I am not the only one with this frigging annoying problem. We have the blanking out problem. The TiVo has also rebooted a few times after becoming unresponsive during Netflix viewing. We even stooped so low as to borrowing DVDs (SD resolution, yeeesh!) of Breaking Bad from the library!

Yuck-ola.
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
lujan

Quote:
Try selecting one resolution. Which has to be something 1080i or lower.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
I have tried that and it works but you no longer get the HD movies in 1080p and that's the whole reason I went back to the Netflix streaming subscription. I had stopped my subscription because Netflix was doing 720p and stereo forever and once it upgraded to 1080p and DD5.1 I started back. If I changed it to 1080i or lower, there's no point in watching the Netflix HD movies anymore, know what I mean?
6 DVD
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
Globular
No time to hack

Netflix seems to be behaving the past few days. No drop-outs, or spontaneous reboots of the TiVo. Has something been fixed on the back-end?
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #29
Lars_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular View Post
I am comforted that I am not the only one with this frigging annoying problem. We have the blanking out problem. The TiVo has also rebooted a few times after becoming unresponsive during Netflix viewing. We even stooped so low as to borrowing DVDs (SD resolution, yeeesh!) of Breaking Bad from the library!

Yuck-ola.
Do as others have said... Go in to the TiVo video output settings, and check 1080i only (disable 1080p).

Doing that removed all the Netflix 'blackout' issues for me. I was seeing it consistently at predictable spots on many Netflix videos.

As for the original posters complaint about the Netflix player adjusting quality in the middle of a stream. All Netflix players do that. It is working as designed. The particular issue with this Netflix player is when it switches between 1080p and other formats. (although the severity of the blackout might differ between different TVs, depending on how fast they switch)

After this tweak I am MUCH happier now with this Netflix player compared to the previous one. Sure, it could be faster, but I would not go back to the other one if given a choice.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
Lars_J

Quote:
I have tried that and it works but you no longer get the HD movies in 1080p and that's the whole reason I went back to the Netflix streaming subscription. I had stopped my subscription because Netflix was doing 720p and stereo forever and once it upgraded to 1080p and DD5.1 I started back. If I changed it to 1080i or lower, there's no point in watching the Netflix HD movies anymore, know what I mean?
Don't be ridiculous. At Netflix level streaming quality, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is minimal - if even noticeable. This is not Bluray quality.