TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Sherlock season 2 episode 1: "A Scandal in Belgravia"

The new season of Sherlock was a long time in coming to PBS, but this first episode was well worth the wait. (I guess a lot of people bootlegged the season earlier since it aired on the BBC some time ago, but I opted to wait for PBS to get around to it.) Really entertaining, with a great performance by the actress who played Irene -- she very believably captured Sherlock's attention. The episode had maybe a touch too much Mycroft for my taste, but that's a minor quibble. Happy to have the series back, even though it's another short, three-episode season.

(I was also happy to hear that stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman look forward to making more, given that both of them are on their way to becoming fairly big stars.)
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
TomK

This is such a high quality series, thank you PBS!
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
dwells

A question- after reading the glowing reviews, I recorded this last night, but I have never seen an episode- can someone fill me in on the history of this series?? Are these standalone stories, or would we need to watch previous episodes before watching what was on last night??
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
TomK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
A question- after reading the glowing reviews, I recorded this last night, but I have never seen an episode- can someone fill me in on the history of this series?? Are these standalone stories, or would we need to watch previous episodes before watching what was on last night??
I'd say these are standalone episodes. Episode 1 of season 1 showed how Sherlock and Dr. Watson came to be friends and each episode after added tidbits about the characters. Just picture Sherlock and Dr. Watson in the modern world and enjoy the shows.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
kmccbf

Quote:
The answer is "yes"
There is a arc to the episodes and it helps if you have seen the first season, but the mysteries solutions are for the most part complete in each episode.

Personally, if you can I would go back and watch the first season. There are only three and it won't put you too far behind.

Does anyone know if PBS edited them again, like they did the first season?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Netflix has season 1 if you want to catch up.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
JohnB1000

In principle I like the show, and I really enjoyed the first series, but I thought series two became unnecessarily dense and complex to the detriment of the enjoyment. My wife enjoyed series 1 but stopped watching part way through Ep2 of series 2 because it all became to much hard work to follow.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
In principle I like the show, and I really enjoyed the first series, but I thought series two became unnecessarily dense and complex to the detriment of the enjoyment. My wife enjoyed series 1 but stopped watching part way through Ep2 of series 2 because it all became to much hard work to follow.
While you did not say anything specific, please keep in mind this thread (and subsequent ones) are for the US airing of season 2 and thus talking about later episodes should be avoided. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
taronga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
Does anyone know if PBS edited them again, like they did the first season?
The BBC broadcasts were 88-89 minutes each. Last night's was roughly 80 minutes long. Until PBS starts putting it in a longer time slot (or cutting back on promos), edits are inevitable.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
There were only three installments for season one, and each was about an hour and a half.

Get them by Netflix or something, and watch them first.

You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
kmccbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
The BBC broadcasts were 88-89 minutes each. Last night's was roughly 80 minutes long. Until PBS starts putting it in a longer time slot (or cutting back on promos), edits are inevitable.
This is a disturbing trend in PBS programing. There is no reason for PBS to cut the program at all, except for their desire to put in series promos. I haven't watched PBS in a long time, but it is something they didn't use to do.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Church AV Guy

Actually, they have been cutting content from this type of show for a rather long time. Only recently have they been called on it though. The time devoted to self promotion is clearly getting out of hand.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I'm in this camp. Absolutely loved season 1, but this first episode of season 2 seemed frantic and out of character with the first season. I'm still not sure I understand the rationale for faking out terrorists by crashing a 747 with dead people in it. Not to mention Sherlock apparently in Pakistan with a fake beheading of Irene.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I'm still not sure I understand the rationale for faking out terrorists by crashing a 747 with dead people in it.
They (the good guys) have a way to know what the bad guys are up to*. And they have learned that these bad guys are going to crash a 747. If they stop the crash, the bad guys will know there is a leak, and the good guys will lose their source. So they filled the plane with dead people, and will let it crash. Bad guys will think they pulled off their bad deed, and the good guys will keep listening for the next bad deed.

*My memory is such that I can't even remember HOW they know what they bad guys are doing, just that they know.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Yes, it's as Astrohip explained. It was supposed to be analogous to the story of the bombing of Coventry during the second World War. (They talked about this a bit during the episode.)

Oh, and JohnB1000, if you and your wife didn't care for the second episode of the second season (the Hounds of Baskerville one), you should still watch the third (and last) episode of the season. I didn't care for episode 2 all that much, either, but the third episode is masterful.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Love the whole season and sorry it is over already. I did like the first and third episodes best but I think that happened in the first season as well as one of the three was directed by someone else and had a different feel to it. I can't believe I have to wait at least a year for the next season. Bravo!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

My ratings...

First ep: 9/10
Second: 7/10
Third: 8/10

All in all, a very good mini-series. Three a year?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

They probably put in as much time and effort plotting and writing three 90-minute episodes of Sherlock as American producers put into 22 one-hour episodes of whatever police procedural you can think of.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Peter000

It took me two viewings to complete the first episode of S2. The first time I sat down to watch it I just wasn't getting into it, and not following it too well. Then I tried again a week later, and it was much more enjoyable.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I enjoyed all three episodes in S2 immensely, although episode 2 ("The Hound of Baskerville") was the weakest of the three.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

I was disappointed in the two big events in episode 3. Maybe similar things happened in the books which I've never read but I certainly wasn't expecting them.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
While you did not say anything specific, please keep in mind this thread (and subsequent ones) are for the US airing of season 2 and thus talking about later episodes should be avoided. Thank you.
Since the short season is over and we're discussing all the episodes anyway, might as well make this a season two thread now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I was disappointed in the two big events in episode 3. Maybe similar things happened in the books which I've never read but I certainly wasn't expecting them.
Yes they did. Much different setting, of course, but the same result. I probably don't need to spoiler-tag a 100+ year-old classic story, but:

Spoiler:
The original story is called "The Final Solution". The climax takes place at the Reichenbach Falls, which was the inspiration for this episode's title. In the story, Holmes and Moriarty are fighting and fall to their deaths over the falls. Conan Doyle actually intended to kill Holmes with that event, but later had a change of heart and resurrected the character for more stories. In those, we learn that Holmes survived the fall but kept his survival a secret, even from Watson, for a time.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Since the short season is over and we're discussing all the episodes anyway, might as well make this a season two thread now.

Yes they did. Much different setting, of course, but the same result. I probably don't need to spoiler-tag a 100+ year-old classic story, but:

Spoiler:
The original story is called "The Final Solution". The climax takes place at the Reichenbach Falls, which was the inspiration for this episode's title. In the story, Holmes and Moriarty are fighting and fall to their deaths over the falls. Conan Doyle actually intended to kill Holmes with that event, but later had a change of heart and resurrected the character for more stories. In those, we learn that Holmes survived the fall but kept his survival a secret, even from Watson, for a time.
Also note that something similar happened at the end of the Robert Downey/Jude Law movie "Sherlock Holmes --A Game of Shadows"

I too thought that the "Hounds of Baskerville" was the weakest of the 3 as well. I figured it our fairly early on and said to my wife
Spoiler:
It's psy ops

tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #24
jwreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I'm in this camp. Absolutely loved season 1, but this first episode of season 2 seemed frantic and out of character with the first season. I'm still not sure I understand the rationale for faking out terrorists by crashing a 747 with dead people in it. Not to mention Sherlock apparently in Pakistan with a fake beheading of Irene.
+1

I love the look and feel of the show. But sometimes, it just doesn't make any sense. I guess almost all detective stories don't make sense if you think about them long enough or happen to know enough about the subject.

The episode provides a surface justification for the 747 ruse, which has already been described above. Unless there were plans to fake news coverage of grieving relatives, though, it is hard to see how it would really work. But I didn't mind the stretch.

The Pakistan bit, though, bothered me more, because it shifts Sherlock's talents from exceptional perception and insight into what he sees around him towards (more) impossible omniscience. And the episode would have been fine with a slightly different ending where Sherlock's powers are not limitless.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreiner View Post
The Pakistan bit, though, bothered me more, because it shifts Sherlock's talents from exceptional perception and insight into what he sees around him towards (more) impossible omniscience. And the episode would have been fine with a slightly different ending where Sherlock's powers are not limitless.
That ending was not out of keeping with the Conan Doyle stories, where Holmes was a master of disguise and frequently traveled internationally.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
Yes, it's as Astrohip explained. It was supposed to be analogous to the story of the bombing of Coventry during the second World War. (They talked about this a bit during the episode.)

Oh, and JohnB1000, if you and your wife didn't care for the second episode of the second season (the Hounds of Baskerville one), you should still watch the third (and last) episode of the season. I didn't care for episode 2 all that much, either, but the third episode is masterful.
I watched them all when they were out in the UK. Ultimately I did not enjoy them. They were unnecessarily complex, full of complete logic holes and quite unbelievable. I'm about as forgiving a TV watcher as you can find but I think this season became like the Emperors New Clothes, it's not cool to complain about the show because then people say it's you, I really don't think it is. Season 1 I have watched multiple times. I think for season 2 they said hey S1 was cool lets do that again only waaaaaaaay more.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Finally got around to watching these over the weekend and have a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
They (the good guys) have a way to know what the bad guys are up to*. And they have learned that these bad guys are going to crash a 747. If they stop the crash, the bad guys will know there is a leak, and the good guys will lose their source. So they filled the plane with dead people, and will let it crash. Bad guys will think they pulled off their bad deed, and the good guys will keep listening for the next bad deed.
First question: Who was going to fly the plane?

Second question: how the HELL are they going to explain how Holmes survived that fall? I can't imagine a solution that isn't a total cheat.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Linnemir

After the lovely cliff-hanger at the end of season 1, I found the resolution a real let-down and a total disappointment.

I also question how they are going to explain his survival, though I suspect that it involves Molly. Really teared up at Watson's last lines though. So very very sad.

Unfortunately, the last I read, filming of season 3 is only supposed to take place in 2013 ...
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Second question: how the HELL are they going to explain how Holmes survived that fall? I can't imagine a solution that isn't a total cheat.
Just watched these via Netflix DVD. My guess is that

Spoiler:
he needed Molly to either fake the autopsy report or to find a dead body for him. Someone purposely kept John from arriving at the body. I suspect that the crowd that surrounded the body were all part of his homeless crew.

Possibly the entire scene (even the closeups on the roof?) were from John's perspective and thus the trick is that Holmes wasn't really up there we only saw what John thought he was seeing and in fact Holmes was on the ground making the call and after a dummy fell he swapped surrounded by homeless helpers.

Either that or he had an airbag strapped to the front of his body and deployed it just before impact-- it was an odd way to fall, face down like that and it appeared quite intentional. The blood, etc. could have been applied by the crowd around him.

Or something entirely different.

Last edited by cstelter : 08-13-2012 at 06:33 AM.
cstelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

That all sounds way too contrived - a cheat.

But I'll reserve judgement until it's explained.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote