TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
tfabris

Why isn't my Tivo recording new episodes of Doctor Who?

My Tivo is not automatically recording new episodes of a favorite TV show that I have explicitly told it to record.

I've got a "Tivo HD" with a cablecard, on the Comcast cable service in Seattle. The Tivo has added to it, one of those officially-sanctioned "MyBook" DVR Expander 500gb external drives, so it has tons of free disk space.

At the very very tippy-top of the Season Pass manager is a season pass for Doctor Who on BBC America HD.

The new episodes just started airing, and this season pass is not automatically grabbing the new episodes for me. I looked at the program date for the new episodes, and yes, the original air date is correct, in other words, the original air date is the date of the episode I'm expecting it to grab. Yet, the season pass is not grabbing those new episodes automatically, they are not being added to the to-do list.

The season pass is set to:
- Get new episodes only.
- Start one minute early.
- Stop one minute late.
- Keep until I delete.
- Keep at most: All episodes.

There is plenty of disk space, and this item is at the tippy top of the season pass manager so it should have top priority.

Yet these new episodes are not getting automatically recorded, and in fact, when I go to the episode's details screen, I see in small print, the text "this episode will not be recorded". Yet no explanation as to why not.

If I tell it to record that episode manually, it works, and there are no conflicts reported when I do so.

What's up here?
tfabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
tfabris

Follow up information:

- Note: I had created this season pass last year, and it was picking up last year's new episodes just fine. It was even recording their occasional clipshows as new episodes (which is technically correct). In other words, it was working as expected last season.

- Tivo Support tech recommends I delete the season pass and re-create it. Doesn't that sound odd? In other words, if I do that and it works, have any of you ever seen that be needed, that you need to delete and re-create your season pass each year? If so, isn't that a bug? Is that a known bug?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
tfabris

Here's a screen shot:

Note that if I press the INFO button, the "original air date" field is the same as the date shown on that screen (09/16).

Why isn't it recording that episode? There are no conflicts, and if there were conflicts, it should win because it's at the top of the Season Pass Manager.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Why.jpg (56.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
tfabris

Of course, looking at that particular plot synopsis, one might think that perhaps the Tivo decided to skip the episode because of the bland, predictable premise, which is clearly nothing more than an excuse to get Matt Smith to wear a Stetson again. However, I don't think the Tivo works that way, and besides, it did the same thing to the other two prior episodes.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
atmuscarella

Note the "R" at the end of the third line of the description. That indicates it is a re-run and you have it set to only record new shows so it is doing what you asked based on the info being provided.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

What does your recording history say? What happens if you remove the "NEW" episode limiter? I'm guessing BBC is sending out generic guide data and thus the tivo believes this is not a new episode.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
atmuscarella

According to BBC America it is a new Episode. They list the Season 7 Episodes as
  1. Asylum of the Daleks - Episode 1 first aired on 9/1/12
  2. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - Episode 2 first air date 9-8-12
  3. A Town Called Mercy - Episode 3 first air date 9-16-12
So you need to watch your guide info and see if it corrects itself (and shows the show as new not a rerun) or you could simple manually tell it to record the show now. I had this happen last year with a show the bad info lasted for a few episodes.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 09-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
WO312

I've had other shows that did not pick up new episodes. I find it easier to just record new and re-runs and sort it out later.
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Note the "R" at the end of the third line of the description. That indicates it is a re-run and you have it set to only record new shows so it is doing what you asked based on the info being provided.
Welcome to Tivo.
The R is for repeat, and there is a difference. FRO SP's will pick up repeats with in 28 days of the original air date if a conflict or power outage cause the first airing to not record - known as the 28 day rule. So that is not the problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfabris View Post

- Tivo Support tech recommends I delete the season pass and re-create it. Doesn't that sound odd?
No
Quote:
In other words, if I do that and it works, have any of you ever seen that be needed, that you need to delete and re-create your season pass each year?
It's not necessarily and most likely not an every year thing. But yes, it's not uncommon for a SP to not work properly and then after deleting and recreating it, it works just fine.
Quote:
If so, isn't that a bug? Is that a known bug?
Not necessarily. Sometimes computers experience errors that can be corrected be deleting and re-doing or by rebooting
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfabris View Post
Here's a screen shot:

Note that if I press the INFO button, the "original air date" field is the same as the date shown on that screen (09/16).

Why isn't it recording that episode? There are no conflicts, and if there were conflicts, it should win because it's at the top of the Season Pass Manager.
That is not the first showing of that episode. What does it say for the 9/15 9:00PM showing? BTW, my TiVo has 9/15/2012 as the OAD for that episode.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Kenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I've had other shows that did not pick up new episodes. I find it easier to just record new and re-runs and sort it out later.
Sadly, this.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool You are Not Alone

It seems specific to BBCA - I had season passes to Doctor Who and Top Gear for the past several years, but they quit picking up the new shows sometime around late last year. However the program info gets input to the TiVo system (either info from the broadcaster or sloppiness on the receiving end - who knows...) somehow seems to have all these programs flagged as reruns now.

I have become very leery about using the "new episodes only" option for any season passes - seems the trust factor with the TiVo listings has gotten real bad over the last two years. I have been finding a LOT of movie listings that listed the wrong year version for remakes - just another example of how they can no longer be trusted.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
lpwcomp

Once again, I will point out that the 12AM showing is not the initial showing, that is at 9PM. Both are flagged as "NEW" in the HDUI guide and the 9PM showing does not have an "R" in the description when using the SDUI guide.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Once again, I will point out that the 12AM showing is not the initial showing, that is at 9PM. Both are flagged as "NEW" in the HDUI guide and the 9PM showing does not have an "R" in the description when using the SDUI guide.
tfabris to clarify; being marked 'R' wouldn't prevent a first run only season pass from recording the 12AM showing if there had been a recording conflict at 9PM (well, as long as noone manually canceled the 9PM scheduled recording). With a conflict at 9PM the TiVo would automatically record the 12AM airing.

However, assuming no conflict at 9PM, looking at the recording history for the 12AM airing won't help figure out why the episode wasn't recorded. You'd need to look at the history / schedule for the original 9PM airing.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
It seems specific to BBCA - I had season passes to Doctor Who and Top Gear for the past several years, but they quit picking up the new shows sometime around late last year. However the program info gets input to the TiVo system (either info from the broadcaster or sloppiness on the receiving end - who knows...) somehow seems to have all these programs flagged as reruns now.
Tribune started using the OAD from the UK on BBCA shows which makes them show as reruns here. They have the same problem with US shows across the pond. There isn't anything Tivo can do about it.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Tribune started using the OAD from the UK on BBCA shows which makes them show as reruns here. They have the same problem with US shows across the pond. There isn't anything Tivo can do about it.
While this still applies to (I guess) "Top Gear" and Canadian shows like "Lost Girl", new episodes of "Doctor Who" are now being shown on BBCA the same day they debut on the BBC.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While this still applies to (I guess) "Top Gear" and Canadian shows like "Lost Girl", new episodes of "Doctor Who" are now being shown on BBCA the same day they debut on the BBC.
Same day != same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Same day != same time.
Doesn't matter. It will still be treated as "NEW" by the TiVo and picked up by an FRO SP, which is the issue at hand.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Tivos DO NOT USE THE HUMAN READABLE 'R' in the description to determine recordings..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
HerronScott

Mine is picking up the new episodes just fine here (on Comcast in VA).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote