TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
mrdazzo7

Thumbs down Forced to watch a full episode of "Jersey Shore" for the first time...

Aside from clips shown on 'The Soup' and maybe 10 minutes of a season one episode (a fight), I've never really seen this show. Tonight I was catching up with some friends who, unfortunately, think the show is awesome, so I had to sit through a full hour. Everyone said "give it a chance, it's funny", etc. I'm open minded so I figured what the hell, it's on and I'm here so I can't really get away from it anyway.

Having actually watched a full episode, I can officially confirm that it is one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV... I understand the concept of "guilty pleasure" tv or whatever, but this is so horrible I really can't understand how people not only are able to physically sit through it each week, but actually love it.

The cast members are excruciating--not only do they all look ridiculous (although there is one hot girl), but they talk like f***ing idiots ("but, like, I don't understand like why you don't, you know like love me..." "Yeah but like I do love you. like you don't understand. like I love you so much") After 10 minutes I wanted to leave but figured "I can make it through another 20 minutes..." ... of course then the realization came that the show is a freaking hour!! hahaha. I gave props to my friends though because they knew I thought it was half hour but didn't tell me just so they could see the look on my face when I realized...

Seriously, I get that it's not to be taken seriously but it goes so far beyond that. Every one of them is not only physically unattractive*, but have the worst personalities imaginable. Now that I've seen a full episode, I can say without making assumptions that I truly don't get it.

*There is one extremely hot girl (I wanna say her name is Sammie? The rest are "grenades"
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats

I was visiting my friend the other week when the season premier was going to air, he said we were going to watch it. I said if he watches it I'm leaving, so thank god we didn't watch it and he just DVR'ed it. X Games was so much better. in 3D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I just don't understand why they're aren't any threads for the show....

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
sharkster

I think I would have felt compelled to shove a couple of pencils through my eyes.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Snooki hooked up with The Situation last year, and JWOWW and Pauly D did too. Of course Sammi and Ron were dating, though Sammi was with The Situation first. Between the two seasons of the show it appears Pauly D and The Situation both hooked up with Angelina.

It's hard to keep up.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Never knew anything about this show but now I'm tempted to check it out to see how bad it is.

To each his own, I guess. When Cops first came on, I checked it out and I thought it sucked yet there are people at COPS: Does TV get any better than this? who love it.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
marksman
ID-10-T

You guys just don't feel the beat.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nah, the worst thing was Flava Flav and Brigitte Nelson.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Cainebj

I started to watch last year when it was clear that it was becoming a pop culture mainstay with all the lawsuits and protests etc.

It is ridiculous and it is a guilty pleasure, but as far as reality TV goes, I have to say the producers really seem to know what they are doing. Who else could turn 'nothing happening' into petty somewhat interesting drama?

This season I am watching more with an eye to see how they are dealing with the pop celebrity aspect of the cast. Season 1 was shot and they were complete unknowns - how they have been getting anything done in season 2 has been kindof interesting - especially when the accidental shot is shown with tons of spectators and paparazzi gawking off on the sidelines.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

PGA golf is the only thing on TV worth watching anymore.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
firerose818
Graduate student!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Never knew anything about this show but now I'm tempted to check it out to see how bad it is.

To each his own, I guess. When Cops first came on, I checked it out and I thought it sucked yet there are people at COPS: Does TV get any better than this? who love it.
Please don't sour the good name of COPS with mention of The Jersey Shore.

firerose818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Hcour

You have my sympathy. I can't even sit through the promo's.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Snooki hooked up with The Situation last year, and JWOWW and Pauly D did too.
Pauly D hooked up with The Situation?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

It kills me how full of themselves these "kids" are-"The Situation" called for a food delivery order and the conversation went like this:
Mike: I'd like a delivery-
Dude: What's the name?
Mike: Situation
Dude: What?
Dude: WHAT?
Mike: Situation. S-I-T-U-A-T-I-O-N (I was amazed he was able to spell it, and so fast-and correctly! )
Dude: Whatever, man-what's the order?

Just say "MIKE"
Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Gratefully, about 95% of my exposure to The Jersey Shore consists of these three clips:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/116557/sat...-update-snooki

http://www.hulu.com/watch/124874/sat...-the-situation

http://www.hulu.com/watch/149657/sat...-update-snooki

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Snooki is a weird one, that's for sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
My favorite line...

Snooki: "You can call me PJ."
Seth: "What's 'PJ' stand for?"
Snooki: "Prison Jumpsuit"
Seth: "Why do you go by that?"
Snooki: "Because I'm bright orange, and once I'm on you, you really start to question the life decisions that led you to this point."

Old 08-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I just don't understand why they're aren't any threads for the show....
I'm not sure if you mean that I shouldn't have started a new thread because there are already others, but I did it because I knew it was a bash and sometimes people get touchy if you go to a thread just to bash it ("thread crapping" i think it's called? I might have made that up though...)

Quote:
Snooki hooked up with The Situation last year, and JWOWW and Pauly D did too. Of course Sammi and Ron were dating, though Sammi was with The Situation first. Between the two seasons of the show it appears Pauly D and The Situation both hooked up with Angelina.
Whoa you're into it... to each his own but the thought of watching it weekly is like the worst thing I can imagine. Is pauly the idiot with the 12" spiked hair? I can honestly say I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so bad as the first time I saw that dude. What an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
It is ridiculous and it is a guilty pleasure,
I'm not into "guilty pleasure" type TV but I get the concept and i get watching dumb stuff for entertainment value, but this show was just bad. Every time someone opens their mouth is like nails on a chalkboard. It's like watching a bunch of wannabe mafia 8 year olds. Part of the episode involved three girls telling a fourth girl that they know she talked about one's boyfriend, and I swear to god it was like something out of 9th grade.

The thing I laughed at was how over-the-top critical the whole cast seems to be about everyone they meet, yet they're the most unattractive, ridiculous, unlikeable people I've ever seen on TV (except that one chick)... ironic.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

It's definitely bad, bad TV. There's nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.

Being a TV junkie, though, I find myself watching it now and again. Although I will admit I haven't really started watching this season yet.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
It kills me how full of themselves these "kids" are-"The Situation" called for a food delivery order and the conversation went like this:
Mike: I'd like a delivery-
Dude: What's the name?
Dude: What?
Dude: WHAT?
Mike: Situation. S-I-T-U-A-T-I-O-N (I was amazed he was able to spell it, and so fast-and correctly! )
Dude: Whatever, man-what's the order?

Just say "MIKE"
I don't know what was funnier, that phone call or snooky buying $375.00 sunglasses that she couldn't see out of.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I don't know what was funnier, that phone call or snooky buying $375.00 sunglasses that she couldn't see out of.
I was rather appalled at the later. So I say the former.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I am familiar with the Jersey Shore as I live not that far from it, but these people are really not typical. First of all they are mostly New Yorkers, not from NJ (we call them bennies). Second of all, from the clips I have seen of the show (it's not my cup of tea), it looks like they are ACTING, trying to be what they (or the producers) consider typical people from NJ. I think they are all auditioning for a future in show-biz. Probably what most of the country thinks of us. Not a big fan of our governor, but he was right when he panned the show. Between this and the Sopranos (which I loved btw), NJ gets such a bad rap.

I also wonder, if Snookie's name was Jane, if there would be such a big deal about her. Having an obnoxious personality, and the name Snookie, it's perfect for the National Inquirer crowd.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

GTL, baby, GTL.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Come on. Any show that has the line "I'm a bartender; I do important things" in it can't be all bad.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I didn't know Snooki wore anything other than beer goggles! HA!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I have never seen a second of this show. I've seen the cast on an award show or something. I could not see watching a show about them.

I will say that I don't watch any reality television anymore. I was into the first 2 seasons of Survivor, but just don't care about any of it these days. I tried to watch the first season of Survivor when it went HD. I think I lasted 10 minutes before remembering why I didn't watch reality TV.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #27
nyny523
Oy

I think these people are hysterical.

They are the biggest bunch of losers ever gathered for a reality TV show. I suspect it is one of the least "scripted" of that genre. With characters like these, you just have to roll the camera.

They are so stupid and ridiculous it is LOL funny...
Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

They are the biggest bunch of losers ever gathered for a reality TV show. I suspect it is one of the least "scripted" of that genre. With characters like these, you just have to roll the camera.

I agree.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #29
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

I watch in a state of suspended incredulosity.

The fact that people of an adult age act like this is baffling to me, and ridiculously fascinating. I've (luckily) never seen such self-absorbed, immature, naive people in my life. Including my three year old daughter.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
I watch in a state of suspended incredulosity.

The fact that people of an adult age act like this is baffling to me, and ridiculously fascinating. I've (luckily) never seen such self-absorbed, immature, naive people in my life. Including my three year old daughter.
Exactly.

And in the midst of it all, you are laughing your ass off.

The thing is, you are laughing AT them, not WITH them...