TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Great Food Truck Race -- Season 3

It's season 3 for the Great Food Truck Race on Food Network. Interesting twist this year where the contestants are food truck operator wannabes. Many don't even have any restaurant or professional culinary experience. Should be pretty interesting to see them deal with it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
justen_m

Being novices, I'm hoping the contestants won't have contacts to call in the cities they visit. I didn't particularly like in the past when teams make tons of calls before they even reach a city to people there the teams know in the food truck or restaurant industry. Making them scramble for supplies, local knowledge about where to park, etc, should be fun to watch.

After the first episode, I was shocked by how little money some of them took in. I didn't really like the outcome, but them's the breaks.

I think my favorites off the bat are the sausage guys and the Italian guys. The latter have the benefit of an experienced restaurant owner and food the is definitely suited to a food truck - slices and sandwiches. I just don't know if it is unique enough.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I think my favorites off the bat are the sausage guys and the Italian guys. The latter have the benefit of an experienced restaurant owner and food the is definitely suited to a food truck - slices and sandwiches. I just don't know if it is unique enough.
The sausage guys made no sausage because they didn't buy a sausage stuffing machine. Aren't the Italian guys really pizza guys? They didn't make pizza.

At least the waffle guys managed to actually make waffles. Is a sausage stuffer really that much more money than a waffle iron?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Mikeyis4dcats

I don't know how you make pizza in a food truck without a pizza oven. Since the apparently didn't set up each truck for them, that seems like ti will be a HUGE issue, as you can't go out and buy one for a couple hundred bucks.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
I don't know how you make pizza in a food truck without a pizza oven. Since the apparently didn't set up each truck for them, that seems like ti will be a HUGE issue, as you can't go out and buy one for a couple hundred bucks.
Exactly. None of these teams are current food truck/cart operators. I wonder if they were told of how the trucks would be configured or if they had any input or were able to make requests or not. Really, not totally clear if the teams with "special" needs thought this through.

Obviously, you CAN do pizza with a mobile system. I've had pizza from them before. One had the oven on a trailer. Food fired. They crank out FANTASTIC Neapolitan pizza. Another place did Detroit style. IIRC, it was in a trailer with some sort of oven. Having the pizza in small pans made it so they didn't need a really fancy specialty oven, IIRC.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I was hoping a little Karma would step in for Coast Of Atlanta. There was no reason not to be nice and help someone out by showing them your sanitation card. So I am hoping they go next.

It is crazy they go through all the trouble painting the trucks only to have the losers walk away. I wonder if they give them an option to buy it after the leave?
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I was hoping a little Karma would step in for Coast Of Atlanta. There was no reason not to be nice and help someone out by showing them your sanitation card. So I am hoping they go next.

It is crazy they go through all the trouble painting the trucks only to have the losers walk away. I wonder if they give them an option to buy it after the leave?
I'm not loving the Atlanta group either. When people were waiting in line for the water hose in the last ep and the guy from the Atlanta truck pushed his way through and grabbed the hose, that was really poor form. I don't like people who compete that way.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm not loving the Atlanta group either. When people were waiting in line for the water hose in the last ep and the guy from the Atlanta truck pushed his way through and grabbed the hose, that was really poor form. I don't like people who compete that way.
+1 I've been rooting for their failure since the one gal was such a b!tch at the store in the first ep.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Having eaten at several food trucks here in the L.A. area, I generally think they all charge way more than the food is worth.

Pop-A-Waffle takes that to a whole new level. Episode 2 showed them selling 2 little waffle squares for $6. No way I would ever pay that for such a small amount.

I wish the show would let the players get used to the food trucks before springing challenges that make them completely re-work their menus. They've only used their truck in 1 city, and now they were making vegan dishes. Let them get a rhythm going first, IMO.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote