TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

What Skitters are (Falling Skies--no spoilers in thread)

http://blastr.com/2012/08/what-are-skitters-falling.php

One of the producers of the show explains what Skitters are. This is something that I think should have been obvious from the show (and he seems to think so too), but obviously wasn't.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
mwhip
All better

It always amazes me when I read message boards on the net what is obvious to us here on TCF just isn't on other places. Never was this more true than with Lost. Amazes how dumb people can be away from TCF.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
http://blastr.com/2012/08/what-are-skitters-falling.php

One of the producers of the show explains what Skitters are. This is something that I think should have been obvious from the show (and he seems to think so too), but obviously wasn't.
Thats a great clarification - and one that, as you mentioned, was not completely obvious. I see what he means about "we want you to only know what the survivors know", meaning that the survivors may still be confused so we should be too. However, sometimes clarity is better than the purity of the method.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
It always amazes me when I read message boards on the net what is obvious to us here on TCF just isn't on other places. Never was this more true than with Lost. Amazes how dumb people can be away from TCF.
I don't know if you need to exempt TCF from the Lost stupidity. As someone who read and followed all those threads, there was some seriously slow uptake on a lot of the story going on around here.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
I don't know if you need to exempt TCF from the Lost stupidity. As someone who read and followed all those threads, there was some seriously slow uptake on a lot of the story going on around here.
Yes but those threads were so long it was easy to ignore the "slower" people.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
That's a great clarification - and one that, as you mentioned, was not completely obvious.
Well, to clarify (), it was completely obvious to me. But obviously, it wasn't completely obvious to everybody, because people were spinning off theories that baffled me in light of what we knew about the Skitters.

Then again, I've been reading science fiction since the 60s, so I'm probably a little better trained to the nuances of the genre than a lot of people...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
mostman

Quote:
Well, to clarify (), it was completely obvious to me. But obviously, it wasn't completely obvious to everybody, because people were spinning off theories that baffled me in light of what we knew about the Skitters.

Then again, I've been reading science fiction since the 60s, so I'm probably a little better trained to the nuances of the genre than a lot of people...
It was obvious to me as well. The point is, though, that they never came out and explicitly said what was up, so I can forgive people for being a little confused. Has to suck being a script writer or Creative Director and having to constantly spell things out for the viewer though. "Ok, lets add a scene here where the two main characters discuss in a casual way exactly what happened 3 episodes ago - you know - like they are reminiscing."
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Yes but those threads were so long it was easy to ignore the "slower" people.
Did someone call my name?
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Did someone call my name?
Yeah.

THREE WEEKS AGO!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Yeah.

THREE WEEKS AGO!

pffffft....
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yeah.

THREE WEEKS AGO!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
jamesl

taste the rainbow
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
It's not even training, especially with people NOT on TCF.

Why do we come to the TV Talk section? To talk about TV shows obviously, but the reason we do that is we like to think about the shows we watch, and analyze what we've seen. Some more, some less, but that's the basic reason we're here.

Outside of that, the majority of people who watch TV like to watch a show, and that's it. This is why things like the famous quote as a reason for Police Squad's cancellation as, "People don't like to watch TV that closely". They veg out in front of the TV, or do other things simultaneously (nowadays it's Facebook on their phone).

On TCF, we watch shows, anticipate the discussion, and enjoy it nearly as much as watching the show itself. "Whoa! That ending was weird, I wonder what will happen next?" just isn't good enough, we want to discuss what will happen next and what has already happened.

That sort of analysis is beyond most people, hence the phrase, "Don't you have anything better to do?" People have even posted that here, and not to be rude to those people, but I counter with the question, "Why are you even here?"

Unfortunately, it leads to 100-page Lost discussions.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There is that, but I've also noticed a tendency for some people (not a lot, but some) to believe that science fiction doesn't follow the same rules of logic that other genres do. So they just don't look for things to make sense in the same way they do in, say, Law & Order.

(It doesn't help that Battlestar Galactica, one of the most popular sci-fi TV shows, was run by such a person.)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Unfortunately, it leads to 100-page Lost discussions.
[obligatory]

...which would have only been 50 page Lost discussions if people would have read the f'ing threads first and not endlessly smeeked.

[/obligatory]

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
[obligatory]

...which would have only been 50 page Lost discussions if people would have read the f'ing threads first and not endlessly smeeked.

[/obligatory]
Yes, but it was an endless loop. Those threads were almost impossible to read first. Being on the west coast, I'd log in to find 5 pages. By the time I got through all 5 pages, I had to refresh because not only had the east coasters posted MORE, but the west coasters had come in to smeek all the things the east coasters had already posted, and posted AGAIN. Those were the days.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

The LOST threads were different. They were longer because of smeeking as well as the West/East Coast factor.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
stellie93

Quote:
Those were the days.

Greg
What I wouldn't give for a nice 6 page Lost thread to work through--smeeks and all. GoT comes close, but then you have the book issues to deal with.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
That sort of analysis is beyond most people
A depressing thought.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Yes, but it was an endless loop. Those threads were almost impossible to read first. Being on the west coast, I'd log in to find 5 pages. By the time I got through all 5 pages, I had to refresh because not only had the east coasters posted MORE, but the west coasters had come in to smeek all the things the east coasters had already posted, and posted AGAIN. Those were the days.

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
The LOST threads were different. They were longer because of smeeking as well as the West/East Coast factor.
Ok, so east coasters had the advantage when it came to being "first" to make a point. So what? That doesn't justify uselessly making the same point again. Wait until the thread calms down, then if no one has made your point, make it. If they have, oh well. When you repeat something (or re-re-re-repeat it) you don't get points - you look silly and make the thread that much longer for everyone else.

No one was keeping score as to who noticed what, without reading about it first.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Ok, so east coasters had the advantage when it came to being "first" to make a point. So what?
Whoever said it was a contest?

Quote:
That doesn't justify uselessly making the same point again. Wait until the thread calms down, then if no one has made your point, make it. If they have, oh well. When you repeat something (or re-re-re-repeat it) you don't get points - you look silly and make the thread that much longer for everyone else.
You're missing the point. Re-stating a point because you don't have time before bed after watching a show that ends at 11pm to read 5 pages, then refresh, read, then refresh again isn't an attempt to be first. It's being full of thoughts, wanting to get them out or else be unable to sleep without telling someone about them.

Quote:
No one was keeping score as to who noticed what, without reading about it first.
I just had a thought: what if we had east coast threads & west coast threads for the night a show airs for this very reason? But see, that wouldn't work either, because it would be similar to the books vs. tv show threads for Game of Thrones. East Coast people would come into the west coast thread, spoiling it for those who hadn't seen it, then complain about having to use spoiler tags.

Sometimes you just have to let it go.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #22
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Ok, so east coasters had the advantage when it came to being "first" to make a point. So what? That doesn't justify uselessly making the same point again. Wait until the thread calms down, then if no one has made your point, make it. If they have, oh well. When you repeat something (or re-re-re-repeat it) you don't get points - you look silly and make the thread that much longer for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Thank you. Thank you.

I think I just gave my first mooz!

is that what that was?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I though they were a type of candy?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Thank you. Thank you.

I think I just gave my first mooz!

is that what that was?
Well it was definitely a mooz zing.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
windracer
joined the 10k club

Heh, "crusty kids."

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Whoever said it was a contest?
I don't know - I didn't use that word.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Re-stating a point because you don't have time before bed after watching a show that ends at 11pm to read 5 pages, then refresh, read, then refresh again isn't an attempt to be first. It's being full of thoughts, wanting to get them out or else be unable to sleep without telling someone about them.
You supplied your own answer:

Quote:
Sometimes you just have to let it go.