TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
robbhimself

Face Off is back - Spoilers OK

Glad to see this show back, not sure what a 4th judge is going to add with all the guest judges lined up. I'm glad that mohawk guy went home last night, he was a tool and in way over his head, he bombed that first challenge and was a pain to work with.
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

To save typing I will just paste what I posted on another board:
I agree that Joe was a nutter and was extremely happy to see him slink away.

I also do not disagree with Tommy's speechifying although as noted above it would have played better had he waited until he was asked a question. But his eye rolling was at times a tad over the top for me and I will be watching him closely in the next challenge as much for his attitude as his technique and results. I need to see nose to the grindstone focus and no pulling faces for him to be 100% back into my good graces as I do not think him faultless in the dysfunction of his team.
Editing bias noted but I never saw him attempt to halt Joe's stream of babble and tell him that a separation of responsibilities needed to happen so that he (Tommy) could contribute on an equal basis.
Sometimes saying how you feel is the best way of communicating- it may not work but I feel as if it must be tried. The smishing of the clay would have been the moment to call a complete come to Jesus meeting and stop the steamrolling once and for all.

As far as choosing a winner, this might have been the one instance in this show where I would have been compelled to declare it a tie. The ladies did a remarkable job of creating a complete character and there was nothing lacking- they had history, backstory, personality, and flawless makeup that suited their model to a T.
The boys had engineering and good makeup but it was indeed derivative of Blaster from Mad Max/Thunderdome and more specifically Total Recall. Wasn't there a similar pairing somewhere in Men and Black as well?
I just feel as if I have seen that concept multiple times already.

I do love this show and hope that with the exit of Joe the drama will cease to be featured so heavily. This show simply does not need it as the competition alone serves all the dramatic elements I need to be fully entertained.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbhimself View Post
not sure what a 4th judge is going to add
the french dude is going off to do a movie so the 4th judge last night is taking over for him so there will only be 3 regular judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I agree that Joe was a nutter and was extremely happy to see him slink away.
+1

OK the 20 year old from Staten Island is in way over her head.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
robbhimself

thank you, i didn't know he was leaving to do a movie. and cearbhaill, i agree, the women should have won that challenge for the exact reasons you posted, the only thing the men had going for them was that fabrication. their main character looked like a rubber doll
Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
pmyers

Can somebody post a link to this show. The name sounds familiar but I can't place it.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
robbhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Can somebody post a link to this show. The name sounds familiar but I can't place it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_Off_%28TV_series%29
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
pmyers

Great! This is the show I was thinking it was. We got into it late but loved it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I was shocked that the women did not win. Their character fit in to the Star Wars universe. The men's was cool and all, but to me felt a bit out of place.

The bottom two were pretty bad and Joe and Tommy for sure were the worst. I wonder when Tommy made his speech, editing made it seem like it was right away, but it could have easily been anywhere.

Glad the show is back and that 1 1/2 flew by! SyFy really does have some great programming.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
theraven146

I hate Reality Television shows as there is nothing real apart from live coverage programs. Everything is scripted and edited before being telecast. But this show got me really interested. Each participant is trying to outsmart one another with their skill and quick thinking. Love this show.
theraven146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

The minute I saw Joe's makeup during the intros then the job he did before the spotlight challenge, I knew he would be the first to go. And what a friggin' loser leaving like that too!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
tiassa
Me --Avatar

After week 2 at least one thing is obvious, this year they have a much bigger budget (not just the $5K "challenge prize", but taking the contestants to San Diego and a few other things I've noticed).

I thought the bottom 3 were all equally bad and that they might keep CC around for another week just to have a non-white face in the crowd, but I don't disagree with them tossing her out.

Glenn Hetrick is rapidly becoming the "Simon Cowell of Face Off"
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
robbhimself

that girl who made the limp mast got lucky. the judges made the right call sending cc home, she was in over her head after spending the entire first day trying to come up with a concept. the jewel guy got lucky too, he completely missed the point of the challenge.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
After week 2 at least one thing is obvious, this year they have a much bigger budget ... taking the contestants to San Diego
The train is pretty cheap, I would not use it to gauge the budget.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
The train is pretty cheap, I would not use it to gauge the budget.
The housing is a better judge of the budget. Season one the contestants were in some warehouse loft. This season they have a house on a hill.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
Cainebj

enjoyed as usual but some things cracked me up

- the guy who said he'd never been on a train before
- the 20 year old and her histrionics - gurrrrrl you got to go
- yes we know you hurt your hand can you please tell us one more time how difficult the challenge is going to be for you since you only have one hand to work with?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Whenever I see an ad for this show, I think of this scene from Doctor Who.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Face-Off.jpg (36.0 KB, 176 views)
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
sharkster

I want the girl with the neon red hair and neon red lipstick gone now. Just because. It's an assault to my eyes and my brain. (not to be a total jerk or anything. ha!)

Meanwhile, having finally gotten around to watching S03-E03, I cannot believe that it just dawned on me that the host is an actor I watched in 'Passions' for ten years. I know - probably nobody else here watched that show, but I always liked her. Now, in the second season of me watching Face Off, it clicked when they put her name on the screen near the beginning of the show. d'oh!!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Meanwhile, having finally gotten around to watching S03-E03, I cannot believe that it just dawned on me that the host is an actor I watched in 'Passions' for ten years. I know - probably nobody else here watched that show, but I always liked her. Now, in the second season of me watching Face Off, it clicked when they put her name on the screen near the beginning of the show. d'oh!!
You also realize that she is the daughter of Micheal Westmore, who is one of the greats in TV/Film makeup.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
pmyers

My wife and I love this show. Reality TV without a lot of drama.

I really enjoyed this last dragon challenge but I guess I missed the "rules" of it. I didn't know they were suppose to incorporate dragons into it...I just thought you had to take your 2 animals and incorporate that.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
robbhimself

Quote:
My wife and I love this show. Reality TV without a lot of drama.

I really enjoyed this last dragon challenge but I guess I missed the "rules" of it. I didn't know they were suppose to incorporate dragons into it...I just thought you had to take your 2 animals and incorporate that.
one thing i really like about this season is that they are not showing house interaction, it is all about the creative process

i also missed the rules regarding making it look like a dragon, i just thought they had to incorporate the 2 zodiac signs in the design, but again i agree the right person went home
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I couldn't believe how much they loved Roy's. I thought it was awful.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
THANK you. I honestly thought he was in the bottom this week, because his whole design just looked fake and plastic-y. Then they give him the win? Really? It was crap! Have they already decided they want him to take it all?
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I thought it was awesome considering this was the Resident Evil T virus. A lot of times you need to know who your judges are, and considering they talked so much about Resident Evil I would think someone from that franchise would be on the panel.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I thought Roy's design was cool (creepy but cool). I know nothing about Resident Evil, I'm just not into the whole Zombie thing. What surprised me is that they tossed Nichole instead of Rod (the Zombie Queen who was neither Zombie or Queenly).
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
What surprised me is that they tossed Nichole instead of Rod.
+1

It seemed she had a makeup color issue and paled in comparison to the other train wreck...

BUT - there are a couple of other contestants who just are bad - I dunno what they are still doing there...
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
sharkster

I also didn't think Roy's was the best AND thought they axed the wrong person. It was close but I thought the other guy should have gone.

I'm still gunning for them to vote Big Red off the island. Her freakishly red hair and lipstick makes my eyes burn. But, beyond that, she's just too needy.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
pmyers

I'm just glad they are back to doing individual challanges. I actually liked the duo challanges but HATED that only one of the team could "win". WHY? Why make a duo project and only allow one person to win? It's a group effort!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #28
Vendikarr

Quote:
I'm just glad they are back to doing individual challanges. I actually liked the duo challanges but HATED that only one of the team could "win". WHY? Why make a duo project and only allow one person to win? It's a group effort!
True, especially since winning really doesn't matter until the last episode.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
True, especially since winning really doesn't matter until the last episode.
Yeah...did they even get anything for winning a challenge?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Yeah...did they even get anything for winning a challenge?
The winner of the Pirate challenge got $5K, but that was a one time deal (at least so far). I wonder if the judges keep track of the winners and Top Looks and that it has some influence on the overall winner. That seemed to be the case last season. IIRC I thought the "Best final challenge" wasn't the one that the judges gave the win to, but that he had shown the best set of make-ups over the course of the competition.