TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #211
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Are they? That seems like a long time too... the big two being "thumbs up/down" and "automatic recording of suggestions". They have been doing this since the start, and aren't patents just 7 years?
20 years from application.

TiVo's big patent has been 6233389 - Multimedia time warping system, filed July 30th, 1998.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #212
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
20 years from application.

TiVo's big patent has been 6233389 - Multimedia time warping system, filed July 30th, 1998.
While on the topic of patents.. Direct TV is coming out with something Called Genie recommends.. Very Similar to Suggestions
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #213
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I find this paranoia about content copying abysmally stupid. I can already copy everything that's on the disk. Even if that wasn't already encrypted, what sort of pinhead thinks you have to transfer video in cleartext over the wire?
They aren't worried about smart people being able to do it, they are worried about dumb people being able to do it.

It is like worrying about people driving over 150MPH on the highway. While everyone might want to do it, only a few people have the cars to let them do that.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #214
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
It is like worrying about people driving over 150MPH on the highway. While everyone might want to do it, only a few people have the cars to let them do that.
But this is like closing the whole road to keep those few people from speeding.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #215
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
But this is like closing the whole road to keep those few people from speeding.
Like I said, irrational.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #216
wco81

Found this thread through Google search.

Has there been any sign of when the extender box will come out?

Looks like nobody has an updated article since they were announced back in May for availability in the fall.

We're well into the fall ...
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #217
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
So WHEN will Tivo finally announce the release date and pricing (including whether it will have a monthly fee)? It seems like forever since this thing was first announced as coming this fall, and we still don't know those critical pieces of information.

Personally, I have no interest if the mini has a monthly fee. My wife is never giving up her Charter DVR in the main room, so I'm looking at whether to drop my extra Charter DVRs in other rooms, which are rolled into the same Charter DVR Fee and thus cost me only extra outlet fees ($7 each) by buying a Tivo and a couple minis. I'm not shelling out for a TIVO 4 or whatever it's called now, plus lifetime, plus the Minis, plus a cable card fee, PLUS fees on each mini too. The Tivo solution would wind up costing nearly as much on a monthly basis on top of the big up front expense to buy the main box (with lifetime) and minis. In fact, without lifetime on the main box (which drives up the up front cost), the monthly Tivo costs would actually be higher than 3 extra Charter DVRs, especially if the minis have a monthly fee too.
Well I am not sure if you are doing your math correctly. With TIVO you own the BOX which means you can always sell it few years later. With Charter you are paying monthly fee, which you will never get back, so with time you do recoup your costs and start to save significant amount of money every year.
jkudlacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #218
mahohmei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Looks like nobody has an updated article since they were announced back in May for availability in the fall.

I'm wondering too. Assuming the monthly fee will be reasonable, or better yet, nonexistent, I'd like to get Mrs. Mahohmei and myself one for Christmas.
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #219
innocentfreak

Quote:

Not yet.

Friday September 21st was the last day of summer. Fall runs Sept 22-December 20th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #220
Test

Every time I see this in my CP I get excited that there is real news...then there is none.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #221
wco81

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Not yet.

Friday September 21st was the last day of summer. Fall runs Sept 22-December 20th.
Yeah I guess Tivo and Ceton both jumped the gun, announcing extender products early in the year and now those announcements are starting to vaporize.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #222
BigJimOutlaw

We're not likely going to get a big buildup with a lot of advance notice, unfortunately. There was only about 2.5 weeks between the sudden "Join the Stream Team" promotion and general availability.

The goal was/is fall. It only just started. I am giddy about it too, but I've accepted, err, more like tolerated the fact that I have to be patient. Heh. It'll happen.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #223
jrtroo
User

Many many companies announce products 6-8 months ahead of release dates. Nothing unusual there. We are only at the start of the three month "fall", so asking "when" only a few days into things seems a recipe for disappointment. We are less than 30 days from a big product launch, which was announced earlier this year as well.

Nothing has vaporized. In the *recent* past Tivo has actually been pretty good on meeting announce dates (no flames- the dtivo was not on them). Stream, 4 tuners, additional capacity, updated software (though not all the way updated), have been timely.

Its clear to me, they want to get this out before Christmas but with enough space after their recent stream launch that they get more press. Launching them together (if they could have) would not have gotten as much coverage as two separate events.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #224
wco81

Some companies like Apple doesn't announce until they're ready to ship right after the announcement or shortly thereafter.

I guess Tivo announcing early kept people from tying themselves to other platforms. I've waited, instead of pursuing getting the Whole Home DVR setup from DirectTV.

I might move to Comcast and buy a Tivo to get this but not sure it's worth waiting out.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #225
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Are they? That seems like a long time too... the big two being "thumbs up/down" and "automatic recording of suggestions". They have been doing this since the start, and aren't patents just 7 years?
For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995,[1] the patent term is 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications).[2]
For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying.[3][4]
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #226
jkudlacz

Quote:
Some companies like Apple doesn't announce until they're ready to ship right after the announcement or shortly thereafter.

I guess Tivo announcing early kept people from tying themselves to other platforms. I've waited, instead of pursuing getting the Whole Home DVR setup from DirectTV.

I might move to Comcast and buy a Tivo to get this but not sure it's worth waiting out.
You do realize that APPLE is probably the ONLY company in the world that announces a product only few days before it is available to ship.

No other company can afford to do it that way. Mini is coming, we have at least 2.5 more months before we should start getting worried. I bet we will see it before December, to be honest I am hoping before November.

I just ordered Tivo 4 with 4 tuners and Ethernet MOCA bridge to setup my whole house for Mini. Now I am counting days, to bad I don't know exactly how many more days are left.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #227
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yeah I guess Tivo and Ceton both jumped the gun, announcing extender products early in the year and now those announcements are starting to vaporize.
Well Ceton extenders are supposed to go to beta testers the beginning of October. I don't think they will make this year with the Q, but it all depends on how much beta testing it needs.

As it has been mentioned the TiVo Mini requires the next update so once that roll-out completes I would expect to hear more details.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #228
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkudlacz View Post
You do realize that APPLE is probably the ONLY company in the world that announces a product only few days before it is available to ship.

No other company can afford to do it that way. Mini is coming, we have at least 2.5 more months before we should start getting worried. I bet we will see it before December, to be honest I am hoping before November.

I just ordered Tivo 4 with 4 tuners and Ethernet MOCA bridge to setup my whole house for Mini. Now I am counting days, to bad I don't know exactly how many more days are left.
The P4 supports MOCA already and so will the Mini's... Dont think you needed the bridge unless for something else now
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #229
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Every time I see this in my CP I get excited that there is real news...then there is none.
Wrong thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=468777

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #230
mr_smits

Quote:
Well Ceton extenders are supposed to go to beta testers the beginning of October. I don't think they will make this year with the Q, but it all depends on how much beta testing it needs.

As it has been mentioned the TiVo Mini requires the next update so once that roll-out completes I would expect to hear more details.
Thanks for the update. I was hoping the extenders would roll out soon, but it doesn't sound like it will be before December.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #231
buscuitboy

Cool Ceton Q cancelled

Quote:

Bad news as it looks like the Ceton Q DVR has essentially been cancelled.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/c...q-dvr-on-hold/

also, it says this:

Echo Media Center extender is delayed slightly and the beta units have not yet gone out, Ceton still anticipates a release in time for the holiday season.

Not good news either and I tend to wonder if any of this stuff will get released (including the Mini). Although, I guess with these potentially off the market, maybe it gives the Tivo mini a much better chance of getting released & actually seeing the light of day.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #232
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Bad news as it looks like the Ceton Q DVR has essentially been cancelled.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/c...q-dvr-on-hold/

also, it says this:

Echo Media Center extender is delayed slightly and the beta units have not yet gone out, Ceton still anticipates a release in time for the holiday season.

Not good news either and I tend to wonder if any of this stuff will get released (including the Mini). Although, I guess with these potentially off the market, maybe it gives the Tivo mini a much better chance of getting released & actually seeing the light of day.
not following.
what does any of that have to do with if TiVo launches the mini or not?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #233
mr_smits

mini update?

Any updates on the Mini?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #234
innocentfreak

No and some are guessing early 2013 at this point.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #235
jrtroo
User

Other than this post, I have not seen any such guessing.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #236
mr_smits

That is unfortunate but it's better the Mini appears well baked than half baked. I'm holding off on upgrading a S3 until the Mini appears.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #237
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Other than this post, I have not seen any such guessing.
There was discussion over on Dave Zatz's site on one of his posts.

The new Mini supposedly needs the next update to work. The updates usually soak for around 2-3 weeks before mass launch. If the update launches this month then we should see mass rollout by Thanksgiving. TiVo is still saying the update will be this fall and we know the update is in testing. TiVo tends not to release anything after Thanksgiving due to limited staff because of the holidays. This then puts us at January and CES. TiVo would probably then have the Mini on display with the Series 5 behind closed doors under NDA. After CES and all the press releases die down, they would announce the Mini with price and a release data about a month later or in mid to the end of February.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #238
sofakng

I sure hope they announce the Mini soon and give a date, even if it's a ways off.

Right now I'm moving from Dish Network to Comcast (with a TiVo Premiere XL4) but I want to connect my kitchen TV to the TiVo. I could buy a used premiere with lifetime and then multi-room streaming but that's a waste if the mini comes out... (plus a TiVo is quite large so I'd love for a small mini at least for the kitchen)
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #239
spaldingclan

I just want a mini for my bedroom. We watch maybe 10% of our tv viewing in there so a full blown tivo would be a waste of upfront purchase and monthly cost too.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #240
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
I just want a mini for my bedroom. We watch maybe 10% of our tv viewing in there so a full blown tivo would be a waste of upfront purchase and monthly cost too.
This is exactly my thought. I have an old S3 sitting idle, but would much prefer the form factor of the mini in my bedroom setting. Would be much less conspicuous.

We're still waiting to see cost/subscription info.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote